News   Apr 18, 2024
 524     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 4.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.2K     4 

Toronto Police Service Reformation

You're clearly not in touch with the mainstream then. Maybe stop acting as if you do.

Lets not flame each other.

You're views are clearly very far to the political right.

So be it.

But based on percentage of the popular vote, where 60% of Canadians consistently vote centre-left (when Conservatives win); and upwards of 70% when they don't............and where those numbers would be higher but for one outlier province. I don't think its reasonable to suggest your views are mainstream.

That's not an insult. Its simply following the definition of mainstream.

Likewise, by looking at the rate of police fatalities per million, one sees Canada is near the top of the list in the OECD, not the middle, nor the bottom.

If New Zealand can police fatalities at less than 1/4 of our rate, the UK at less than 1/3, Sweden at less than 2/3; then surely we can get that number down substantially.

I don't think its anti-police or pro-criminal to suggest that we can manage what the majority of other OECD countries do.

1591639730376.png

BREAKING: Mark Saunders has resigned.

I always thought Peter Sloly was the better choice (now chief in Ottawa); He's only been there since last October, so I doubt he's available.

I'm not as familiar with the deputy chiefs as last time.

Again, stop making declarations about things you don't know.

That the public votes centre left, doesn't support any of your thesis.

You've made that 100% clear to lots of us.

And Please stop telling me what to do or say.

We're done now.

Toronto has 4 deputy chiefs. I don't if they will all put their names forward; or what outside candidates might be considered if any.

1591642272920.png

James Ramer
Specialized Operations Command

1591642314973.png

Barbara McLean
Human Resources Command

1591642325365.png

Shawna Coxon
Communities & Neighbourhoods Command

1591642336975.png

Peter Yuen
Priority Response Command

Toronto has 4 deputy chiefs. I don't if they will all put their names forward; or what outside candidates might be considered if any.

View attachment 250429
Shawna Coxon
Communities & Neighbourhoods Command

Shawna Coxon has an impressive resume. Actually, it's Dr. Shawna Coxon as she has Ph.D. She's been on the force 24 years, and also worked part-time as a sessional lecturer at the Uniuversity of Guelph on law.

I'd challenge the presumption police shootings are a problem at all.
We do not have "too many mentally ill and unarmed folks being killed".
They're not wrong. Police shootings here are fairly rare, and justified is most cases.

Imagine being so indifferent to unnecessary loss of life, that the response to the data is basically "Nah, I don't see a problem here. Lets not strive to do better."

Toronto police chief Mark Saunders to resign effective July 31

From The Toronto Star, at this link.

Police chief Mark Saunders is resigning from the Toronto Police Service as of July 31, eight months before his contract was set to expire.

At a Monday news conference, Saunders said he came to the decision “not with a heavy heart” but at the right time for him and his family, noting he hadn’t had an August off in 37 years with Toronto police. During that time, Saunders noted, he always lived in the city and “never switched jerseys.”

Calling Toronto police “the greatest law enforcement agency in the world,” Saunders said he told Mayor John Tory and the Toronto police board of his intention to resign early last week.

“We haven’t been perfect but we’ve always tried to move towards excellence,” Saunders said of his term as Toronto 10th police chief, saying he was looking forward to being a full-time dad and husband.

“Family is the most important thing to me now,” he said Monday.

Saunders said he decided that the service was currently in “a safe spot,” enabling his early resignation.

To fellow police officers, Saunders said: “My advice is to never stop, always listen and serve with compassion,” and to recruits, he tells them the service is “looking for guardians, not warriors.”

“It’s time to say thank you Toronto,” Saunders said.

Last summer, the Toronto police board extended Saunders’ contract so that he would in his role until April 30, 2021, after his sixth year in the high-profile and closely scrutinized position.

Saunders was chosen as police chief in April 2015 and took on a force facing a ballooning $1-billion budget and waning public trust. Alongside the board, Saunders took an ambitious modernization effort aimed at cutting costs and “redefining” policing — a plan that has encountered multiple setbacks.

In a statement Monday, Toronto Mayor John Tory thanked Saunders for his “exemplary service.”

“He has been a dedicated and responsible Chief of Police who has always worked to protect the city. He cares deeply about the people of the city, all of its neighbourhoods, and about the men and women who serve with him,” Tory said, adding he knows that the Saunders is “looking forward to spending more time with his wife Stacey and their children.”

Asked what he will do next, Saunders joked he would become a politician, before saying he wanted to be a part of addressing the causes of crime, noting he has spent his career dealing with the symptoms and want to help find a cure for the disease.

“I see a lot of young Black boys being killed by Black boys,” he said.

Saunders’ early resignation will set off a search for his successor. Saunders said he will not be making any recommendations on who should replace him but said he is “so happy” with the service’s deputy chiefs.

Posted on June 8, 2020
Members Motion for Toronto City Council: Submitted By Councillor Josh Matlow, Seconded by Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam

We watched the video of George Floyd being murdered by a Minneapolis police officer with horror, sadness and anger. We watched the video of Amy Cooper in New York weaponizing white privilege by calling the police on a Black person who was birding in Central Park. We’ve seen citizens peacefully protesting police brutality met with grievous and indefensible displays of police brutality in cities across America.
These disturbing and unacceptable exhibits of police misconduct and systemic anti-Black racism have rightly captured our attention, but it is critical that we recognize that they are not new, isolated, or confined to the United States.
Black, Indigenous and People of Color too often have lower incomes, poorer health outcomes and are disproportionately represented in the criminal justice system. That’s because Black, Indigenous and People of Color face systemic racism here in Toronto every single day. That’s because systemic racism in the Toronto Police Service has deep impacts on Black, Indigenous and People of Color. That’s because systemic racism in the City of Toronto’s budget, and society at large, has deep impacts on Black, Indigenous and People of Color.
We recognize that many of the impediments to community safety will not be solved by the police. Too many people are unable to access the life-saving resources they need to thrive, while growing affordability, mental health and addictions crises are having massive health and safety impacts.
In 2016, in response to growing pressure from community members and activists, the Province of Ontario established the Anti-Racism Directorate. The Directorate is tasked with applying an anti-racism lens to government policies, programs, and services. Shortly after the formation of the Directorate, Toronto City Council called on the province to conduct a full review of the mandate, procedures and outcomes of the Special Investigations Unit with respect to the treatment of cases that involve Black, Indigenous and racialized individuals.
Since then, Premier Doug Ford has demoted the position of Minister Responsible for Anti-Racism to associate Minister, cut the budget of the Anti-Racism Directorate and eliminated the four sub-committee working groups.
If we are committed to eradicating anti-Black racism, this commitment needs to be demonstrated across the Province and funding for anti-racism work must be restored and expanded
. The province must also commit to a full review of the mandate, procedures and outcomes of the Special Investigations Unit.
In 2013, we listened to the experts, including Dr. Alvin Curling, who wrote the provincial Roots of Youth Violence Report. The report, and many other studies, have concluded that police enforcement is less effective than community supports at curbing violent crime. Experts cite inequality, poverty, mental health, systemic racism, and a lack of opportunity as primary factors influencing the path a teen chooses in life.
Toronto City Council has already started to recognize the importance of community investments through the Toronto Youth Equity Strategy and the Toronto Poverty Reduction Strategy. However, there is much more work needed to provide equity for marginalized Torontonians.
Despite advocacy from organizations representing racialized Torontonians and other vulnerable communities, many of the recommendations in the strategies have not been funded or acted upon.
The path forward to supporting Black, and Indigenous and racialized communities has been made clear by those voices: defund the police and reallocate those funds toward community supports. Defunding does not mean a lack of support for the police services we rely on – it’s about a necessary rebalancing to ensure that we fund alternatives to policing.
There are actual barriers to this way forward at the municipal level in Toronto, unlike cities in other jurisdictions. Under Ontario provincial statute, Toronto City Council does not have any direct control of the police budget. While City Councillors have the ability to set the overall police budget, we cannot legally decide how the money is spent. The Toronto Police Service, for example, could unilaterally cut road safety enforcement or community and neighbourhood policing initiatives if their budget is reduced.
This motion seeks to wrest control of the police budget through an amendment in the provincial Police Services Act. As the principal funding body, we assert that Toronto City Council should have much greater oversight of how local tax dollars are spent and an understanding of the funded services.
It is incumbent upon decision-makers to ensure that necessary resources and supports are provided to Black, Indigenous and People of Color. The police budget is the single largest item in our City’s operating budget.
Therefore, this motion seeks to reduce the police budget by 10% and direct the savings towards community investments at the recommendations of the Confronting Anti-Black Racism Unit and Social Development, Finance, and Administration Division
If approved, the actions contained in this motion would be a significant step towards providing equity for Black, Indigenous and People of Color.
Recommendations:
1. City Council request the Province of Ontario
to amend the Police Services Act, 1990 to allow for the City of Toronto to have direct oversight over the Toronto Police Services Budget by creating a clause in sec 39(4) that removes the word “not” as it pertains to the City of Toronto as follows:
In establishing an overall budget for the board, the Toronto City council does not have the authority to approve or disapprove specific items in the estimates.
2. City Council request the Toronto Police Services Board to provide a 2021 budget request that is 10% lower than the 2020 approved budget.
3. City Council request the Toronto Police Services Board to provide a line-by-line accounting of their 2021 budget request.
4. City Council direct the City Manager to consult with the People and Equity Division, Social Development, Finance, and Administration, the Confronting Anti-Black Racism Unit and the Anti-Black Racism Partnership and Accountability Circle and to report to the Budget Committee in Q4 2020 on recommended investments that enhance resiliency in marginalized communities, to be provided with the savings that would be realized by reallocating the funds from the 10% reduction in the Toronto Police Services budget as described in recommendation 2, potentially including:
  • Community-led alternatives to policing and the criminal justice system
  • Anti-racism education
  • Programs identified in the Toronto Youth Equity Strategy
  • Childcare
  • Affordable housing
  • Tenants’ Defence Fund
  • Skills training and Employment counselling
  • Food security

.....We watched the video of Amy Cooper in New York weaponizing white privilege by calling the police on a Black person who was birding in Central Park. We’ve seen citizens peacefully protesting police brutality met with grievous and indefensible displays of police brutality in cities across America.
Couldn't he find any Canadian examples to lead off with? Yes, we're all watching international news, but let's start at home. Perhaps mention that Karen (Amy) Cooper is Canadian to at least make a connection.
Black, Indigenous and People of Color too often have lower incomes.... People of Color face systemic racism....Toronto Police Service has deep impacts on Black, Indigenous and People of Color... systemic racism....has deep impacts on Black, Indigenous and People of Color.
They're not even bothering to use the Canadian spelling..... smh. This is Canada, speak for and about the Canadian experience. Yes we can learn from international events but we don't need to ride the coattails of the USA's defund police movement - instead build our own Toronto and Canadian experience. There are core differences I imagine, such as Canada's lack of slavery, with most of our POC arriving as legal immigrants in the 1960s onward, and then there's our terrible treatment of indigenous people - as bad or worse than America's. but different.
Shawna Coxon has an impressive resume. Actually, it's Dr. Shawna Coxon as she has Ph.D. She's been on the force 24 years, and also worked part-time as a sessional lecturer at the Uniuversity of Guelph on law.
I'd prefer a POC. Can we get Peter Sloly, now in Ottawa to reapply? He was my pick over Sanders back in the 2010s.

Last edited:
If I was a mental health outreach worker and I knocked on your door and you started shouting mindlessly and brandishing a whisk or a friggin stapler, I'd step back and deescalate the issue, not demand that you put down the stapler and then step forward.

And therein lies a bit of the problem. There is absolutely no fault or shame in the police doing a tactical retreat to re-group, calm the situation, await further resources, etc. provided the situation can be contained and no one is at risk (Yatim/Forcillo - the rush there escaped me), and that should be one of the goals of deescalation training (perhaps it is - I left before it was introduced). The challenge is the situation has to be resolved, but it doesn't necessarily have to be solved RIGHT NOW. If it takes an hour, so be it.

Back