Toronto Pinewood Toronto Studios | 10m | 1s | Pinewood Group | HOK

Maybe after resurrecting this dead Liverpool waterfront project, Toronto could resurrect another failed waterfront project by another famous British architect... Hong Kong's West Kowloon Cultural District by Norman Foster.

wkcd.jpg

Kidding about WKCD, of course (I seriously can't think of how Toronto could raise funds for such a project). However, I think it would be great for Toronto to gather decent-looking failed waterfront projects or competition designs from around the world and build them on our waterfront. Toronto's waterfront would become a museum of "failed world waterfront architecture".

A lot of them seem to be the outragously, self-absorbedly embittered older Gen X men. Sort of the thirtysomethings with a mediocre job and few romantic prospects who vent all their rage at life's frustrations on the damned liberals.

I seriously can't think of how Toronto could raise funds for such a project

Which makes me want to utter some frustrated, embittered and nasty things...

...but then I do have beer in the fridge.

Media Alert - Photo Opportunity

Mayor David Miller Reviews FILMPORT Construction Process and Unveils Will Alsop and Quadrangle Architects Ltd. Design for Next Phase of Development at FILMPORT

Toronto, [August 8, 2007] – Mayor David Miller will visit the FILMPORT site and unveil the design for the next phase of development at FILMPORT, an iconic landmark office building designed by internationally renowned architect Will Alsop and Quadrangle Architects Ltd. Located at the gates of the FILMPORT studio complex, this new 280,000 square foot building will house amenities such as commercial offices, post production companies, union and guild offices, film schools, restaurants and shops. Like all of Will Alsop's award-winning buildings such as the Ontario College of Art and Design building in Toronto, the FILMPORT design embraces distinctive, modernist design, unusual shapes and vibrant colour.

Located in the Port Lands south of Lakeshore Blvd., FILMPORT will be the largest US or Canadian studio complex outside of Los Angeles. Construction is currently underway on seven sound stages, and when completed, FILMPORT will comprise 550,000 square feet of production offices and sound stages, including the mega-stage which will cover a massive 45,500 square feet; more than an acre of column-free space.

FILMPORT is being developed on a 20 Hectare site in the Portlands owned by TEDCO, the Toronto Economic Development Corporation. The overall development of FILMPORT is expected to be up to 3 million square feet of space for media and knowledge-based companies and will support employment of 2,000 persons on the studio lot and many more in the surrounding commercial buildings.

WHO: Mayor David Miller
Ken Ferguson, Toronto Film Studios and FILMPORT President
Jeff Steiner, President and CEO of TEDCO

WHAT: Update on FILMPORT Construction and Unveiling the design for Will Alsop building at FILMPORT

WHEN: 3:00 pm on Wednesday, August 8, 2007

WHERE: FILMPORT, corner of Bouchette St. and Commissioners Road
Directions: At Lakeshore Blvd. turn south onto Don Roadway. Turn left on Commissioners Road. Turn right onto Bouchette St. Turn west onto Basin St. at the end of Bouchette St. Turn north into construction parking lot. Please check in at the media table under the tent.

Located at the gates of the FILMPORT studio complex, this new 280,000 square foot building will house amenities such as commercial offices, post production companies, union and guild offices, film schools, restaurants and shops.

So I was right on my guess about it being for the community functions. I guess it makes sense, and should be somewhat open to the public.

Good for this private developer for allowing Alsop to run wild to some extent.

I'm assuming this announcement is supposed to include the Cloud? If so, I guess it won't be on the most prominent waterfront location...or will it? I'm not too familiar with the Filmport area.

Looks like no more Scarborough, Darkstar!

This is fantastic news. I love the mixture of public and private uses. It’ll certainly be a big beacon for the area, though it’s important that more places with similar uses get built around there, since it won’t be too successful if it’s alone surrounded by parking-heavy studio space.

Back