Toronto Peter Gilgan Centre for Research and Learning | ?m | 21s | Sick Kids | Diamond Schmitt

Its amazing the negativity that goes on this forum regarding cladding, glass colour, whatever, just about anything of other proposed and u/c developments...here in this box, people are drooling and assuming that what ever goes up in curved glass "will be the the cat's ass"...lets wait and see the final product.

I know what you mean. It's kinda like those who heap praise on every proposal that is tall.

As for the Kid's Research Building, it's turning into quite the handsome institutional building - even without the curvy glass installed.

AG:

Considering D+S handling of cladding in signature projects (e.g. the Opera House. Shakespeare Theatre in DC, St. Mike's pedestrian bridge), I highly doubt one's confidence in their ability to handle glass as a material is misplaced - unlike the misplaced confidence in various tall towers and the pre-post comparison thereof.

AoD

Its amazing the negativity that goes on this forum regarding cladding, glass colour, whatever, just about anything of other proposed and u/c developments...here in this box, people are drooling and assuming that what ever goes up in curved glass "will be the the cat's ass"...lets wait and see the final product.

defensive much?

8b282153.gif

a1cf553d.gif

70960676.gif

ee23a149.gif

cea0fc09.gif

Great shots Deepend! I especially love the second last.

I love how non-reflective the fritted glass is! It has a very scientific/institutional sort of look. At first i viewed this project as infill...then i saw the cladding. I know some folks on here hate it, but I personally love it

sMT:

I think the non-reflective effect might just be the dust from the construction and the particular angle between the light source and the camera.

AoD

Being more limited in scope, I don't think the ripple effect at Sick Kids will be as kinetic as that created by the balconies on Market Wharf ( looking at that building from the north ... ), but it plays off of the massiveness of the box with aplomb.

The Market Wharf project is looking good, but it is difficult to compare due to the difference in project type and technique.
Market Wharf, like Aqua in Chicago, uses the simplicity of an undulating concrete balcony to great effect in a residential building. While this project seems to be about creating an organic enclosed space, which is a counterpoint to the massive box of labs.
I still look forward to the UT tour of this one. Any idea when this will be happening?

Here is how the new Sick Kid's building is shaping up from the south west.

2b6857bc.jpg

Taken from 180 Dundas Street.

Back