Mississauga Pearson Transit Hub | ?m | ?s | GTAA

According to this website (see link), Toronto Pearson International Airport is (nick-)naming it Union Station West.

Nothing there (yet) about the actual location.

Transit_Map-800x370.png

Do you think that they'll be free parking when this transit hub is built ? Or do we have to go further away from the airport to park again!

Do you think that they'll be free parking when this transit hub is built ? Or do we have to go further away from the airport to park again!
Is there free parking at the airport right now?

What this "Union Station West" transit hub eventually becomes is really dependant on just how aspirational the GTAA gets with it. If all they see it as is a passenger processing terminal, than all we will see is a bunch of check in desks with rough in's for future transit connections. If they are serious about creating an airport city as shown in some of the sample airports used as models in their documents than it will need to be much more, and will need to attract the working class as well as passengers to the hub. To that end they could build an office and/or convention component to the project. GTAA owns the international centre so they could build a modern replacement for it at the hub. They also own the airway centre across the 409 at 5955 airport road. They could incentivize the tenants there to relocate to a new office building attached to the hub.

That would then free up those plots of land for redevelopment, which hopefully might be more transit friendly.

Last edited:
Ironically, as the creator of the thread, I (half-whimsically) named this thread originally as Union Station North before it was renamed more generically to Pearson Transit Hub.

Now we know Pearson ambitiously actually wants to call it Union Station West.

(Perhaps the "Union Station North" honor will be Langstaff GO station in 50 years from now -- if Yonge+DRL+407 Transitway+RER+Northlander-like trains theoretically passes through that point.)

I feel like Union North is Finch.
Then what's Union Station East? Kennedy? STC?
Union Station North could also arguably be Sheppard Yonge, but finch is arguably better.
Onion soup everywhere...
My friend calls Union station "The Onion" so...finch is now The Onion while Union Station is still commuter hell?
TTC-Subway-Map.jpg

Attachments

• TTC-Subway-Map.jpg
    TTC-Subway-Map.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 1,911
Calling it Union Station West is just moronic and unimaginative. If that ends up as the actual name, it would create so much confusion. Cause it implies that it's close to the actual Union Station.

I wish they'd go for something like "Pearson Central".

Does anyone know if there is another airport in the world that is a major hub for more than planes?

Back