Pearson Transit Hub | ?m | ?s | GTAA

mdrejhon

Member Bio
Reaction score
It’s not just about. It’s also about cost avoidance. It’s really expensive to build more parking as the airport grows. So they need to shift transit modal share to the airport. Also, if HFR/HSR happens, they can save slots serving London and others as service improves.
More lucrative international flights replacing less profitable London/Ottawa/Montreal flights that will be served more often by increasingly faster/frequent HxR trains.

It wasn't long ago that they were fighting against UPX and charging them an unfriendly parking-revenue-loss fee. Which they now gleefully eliminated later.

They're finally "getting" it (sorta).

UPX totally redeems itself in giving the "transit drug" needed for Pearson's change of heart. Now they want to bankroll a transit red carpet.

gweed123

Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
They can fund the hub on their own. And they will. The only reason it’s a 25 year plan is because the lines to the hub will take 25 years to build.
What I can see them potentially doing is roughing in all the rail platforms and protecting the approaches, but building a larger-than-needed bus terminal within the hub. I can see the TTC operating a number of express bus routes, similar to the Airport Express from Kipling, into that hub. It may not have rail service from Day 1 (aside from UPX), but I think there will be quite a few bus routes that will either be created or modified that will still connect to it.

TOareaFan

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Start here, at this link.

Generally speaking, it would be across the street (Airport Road), next to 409.

From link.
That is where they first proposed it in 2017 when they started discussing/pushing the whole Union West idea......it was, of course, before they purchased the International Centre....I still hold out hope that they move the idea of Union west to the north side of the International Centre and utilize the rails that already go there.....it would mean a longer more elaborate people mover to get people from the terminals to the transportation centre.....but I don't think it would be much longer than, say, Atlanta's terminal train.

At a NAIOP event at the International Centre about Union West (held in April 2018) they were very non-commital/a bit evasive about how it would (or if it would) be part of the transportation plans.

cd concept

Member Bio
Reaction score
Do you think that they'll be free parking when this transit hub is built ? Or do we have to go further away from the airport to park again!

Woodbridge_Heights

Member Bio
Reaction score
Do you think that they'll be free parking when this transit hub is built ? Or do we have to go further away from the airport to park again!
Is there free parking at the airport right now?

What this "Union Station West" transit hub eventually becomes is really dependant on just how aspirational the GTAA gets with it. If all they see it as is a passenger processing terminal, than all we will see is a bunch of check in desks with rough in's for future transit connections. If they are serious about creating an airport city as shown in some of the sample airports used as models in their documents than it will need to be much more, and will need to attract the working class as well as passengers to the hub. To that end they could build an office and/or convention component to the project. GTAA owns the international centre so they could build a modern replacement for it at the hub. They also own the airway centre across the 409 at 5955 airport road. They could incentivize the tenants there to relocate to a new office building attached to the hub.

That would then free up those plots of land for redevelopment, which hopefully might be more transit friendly.

Last edited:

mdrejhon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ironically, as the creator of the thread, I (half-whimsically) named this thread originally as Union Station North before it was renamed more generically to Pearson Transit Hub.

Now we know Pearson ambitiously actually wants to call it Union Station West.

(Perhaps the "Union Station North" honor will be Langstaff GO station in 50 years from now -- if Yonge+DRL+407 Transitway+RER+Northlander-like trains theoretically passes through that point.)