Mississauga Pearson Transit Hub | ?m | ?s | GTAA

Very interesting! The International Centre is directly adjacent to the Kitchener Corridor. This resolves the huge technical issues surrounding diverting the Kitchener Corridor (or a section thereof) closer to Pearson and is the first real sign of how serious the GTAA is about building the transit centre. Huge news!

ughh...I know this is many years out, but it makes the UP Express seem like a short-sighted investment.

ughh...I know this is many years out, but it makes the UP Express seem like a short-sighted investment.

Not necessarily. If the transit hub is as far away as the International Centre, there would still need to be some type of connecting transit service between the transit hub and the terminals. If UPX continued direct service to Terminal 1, it would help justify the "premium" expense as compared to other services, which would require a transfer.

The problem is, just like with what's happening on airlines these days, you'll end up with a belligerent passenger, already on the train, who is requested by CBP to leave the train but refuses.

My solution is that the cross border train is extra long and consists of cars in the front that are sealed until crossing the border, a special CBP car in the middle with primary and secondary inspection booths and holding cells in the middle of the consist, and coaches on the latter half. The passengers are given tickets for the front cars but they must board the back coaches and walk through them toward the CBP car to get their final seat. The conductor stops the train at each station with only the latter half lined up at the platform, permitting both boarding and getting off. Just before the border crossing, you unhook the latter coaches and the CBP car, leaving them in Canada, along with the hapless passengers who couldn't get precleared and the CBP officers.

So, um, almost literally the plot of Snowpiercer. What could go wrong?

Not necessarily. If the transit hub is as far away as the International Centre, there would still need to be some type of connecting transit service between the transit hub and the terminals. If UPX continued direct service to Terminal 1, it would help justify the "premium" expense as compared to other services, which would require a transfer.

Maybe. With the envisioned changes to the landside it would be hard to see them maintain that service. Also, with 2-way all day service, high-speed rail, and VIA all clamouring for room on the Corridor, it might be hard to justify the special service.

I wonder if this changes the masterplan such that instead of an integrated off-site passenger processing and transit facility there will be either:
  • Option A: two off-site passenger processing facilities, one for transit, and another for vehicle drop-off (highways aren't exactly close to ITC unless the 409 loops somehow with 427). Each will have their own priority access (people mover or similar) into the terminal buildings; or
  • Option B: off-site transit facility that connects by rail to offsite passenger process facility, from which there will be pedestrian/people-mover access to the terminal buildings.

Financially it seems silly if you assume Pearson (and the public) would have been interested in a Transit Hub anyway.

Prior to UPX launching Pearson wanted to charge fees on all transit trips and was primarily concerned about revenue loss from parking. They also required the federal government fund terminal modifications to accomodate UP Express.

A few years after UPX launching, Pearson now wants a multi-modal transit terminal on their property and seem willing to kick in a bit of the cost. That's a pretty significant change in behaviour over a 5 year period.

I think UPX acted as a bit of a gateway drug. They've probably seen growth at a lower capital investment per pax.

Last edited:
Very interesting! The International Centre is directly adjacent to the Kitchener Corridor. This resolves the huge technical issues surrounding diverting the Kitchener Corridor (or a section thereof) closer to Pearson and is the first real sign of how serious the GTAA is about building the transit centre. Huge news!

I mean, the viaduct could easily be repurposed, but wasn't the majority of the cost for the UPX building extra track between Union and Etobicoke North? I would think that could easily be repurposed for GO.
Maybe. With the envisioned changes to the landside it would be hard to see them maintain that service. Also, with 2-way all day service, high-speed rail, and VIA all clamouring for room on the Corridor, it might be hard to justify the special service.

I wonder if this changes the masterplan such that instead of an integrated off-site passenger processing and transit facility there will be either:
  • Option A: two off-site passenger processing facilities, one for transit, and another for vehicle drop-off (highways aren't exactly close to ITC unless the 409 loops somehow with 427). Each will have their own priority access (people mover or similar) into the terminal buildings; or
  • Option B: off-site transit facility that connects by rail to offsite passenger process facility, from which there will be pedestrian/people-mover access to the terminal buildings.
For Option A: How would you deal with baggage claims?

Yes, tricky to say the least. I guess I could conjure a solution, but not without cost and logistical implications (not to mention inconvenience for pax pushing their luggage trolleys across buildings and transit modes).

Pardon me while I toot my own horn, but:
https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...ternational-airport.5994/page-53#post-1286738
Thinking some more about the proposed bend in the Kitchener line to line up with the Transit Hub. Why not go whole hog. Move Malton Go to the airport, and strike a deal with the owners of the international centre to build meeting conference facilities as part of the Transit Hub development. Turn around and sell the land Malton Go and the International Centre used to occupy for some other type of development.

Downside;
- Loss of ~800 parking spaces that exist at Malton. This could be mitigated by allowing for GO commuter parking at the Transit Hub
- Slight increase in travel times vs the existing Malton station???
- Increase in scope for the rail station at the Transit hub, it would now be served by, planned HSR, VIA, GO RER, GO regional trains. Thus requiring at least a handful of platforms

Upside;
- Complete integration of transit at the Transit Hub. All roads lead to Pearson
- Sale of land would fund Transit Hub development (caveat, I do not know who owns that property)
- Increase in appeal of relocated international centre for conferences etc due to transit connectivity and connectivity to Pearson airport

I pretty much called this. Move the International Centre into the Transit hub, and sell the old Malton station/International Centre lands for redevelopment.

Also,
- The GTAA now owns the International Centre, and the Airway Centre office complex. That's quite a bit of land along Airport rd that is a stone's throw from the Airport.

Option C: Off-site transit hub with a frequent train that connects to the 2 existing passenger terminals.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releas...ntre-at-toronto-pearson-to-hok-672963123.html
Global design firm to provide preliminary design and planning for new transit facility at
Canada's busiest airport

TORONTO, Feb. 6, 2018 /CNW/ - The Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA) announced today that it has engaged HOK to design a regional transit centre and passenger processing facility at Toronto Pearson International Airport. The GTAA estimates the first phase of the new facility could be in place as early as the mid-2020s. HOK is a leader in sustainable, high-performance design and has led major aviation and transportation projects at some of the world's most travelled international airports.

In its most recent draft Master Plan, the GTAA forecasts that Toronto Pearson will grow to handle as many as 85 million passengers annually by 2037 and the GTAA is beginning the planning of the new facility to support this growth. The planning will incorporate a regional transit centre to support the region's need for better transit connectivity. Toronto Pearson is uniquely able to connect the region, due to its location between three municipalities, four major highways and a number of planned and existing transit lines, and the Airport Employment Zone, the second largest employment zone in Canada. The GTAA continues to work with all levels of government to advance plans on priority lines connecting into the proposed regional transit centre.

"The success of Toronto Pearson as one of the world's most significant international airports is a testament to the success of Canada and the Toronto region," said Howard Eng, President and CEO, GTAA. "We're pleased to be working with HOK on the design for a new airport passenger processing facility that will enhance passenger experience. This new facility will not only help to welcome visitors from all over the world to Canada, it will also seamlessly connect them to towns and cities throughout southern Ontario."

HOK's work on the passenger processing facility and regional transit centre design will include all facets of phased development of future airport facilities to meet projected passenger growth. Toronto Pearson saw an estimated 47 million passengers in 2017. The development will provide appropriate passenger facilities, reduce road congestion in the region and provide greater access to jobs and customers for businesses in the Greater Golden Horseshoe.

"The Toronto Pearson regional transit centre represents the marriage of aviation and ground transit," noted Robert Chicas, AIA, director of Aviation + Transportation at HOK. "We look forward to collaborating closely with the GTAA to develop this new vision for a seamless link between the new multi-modal transit hub, the airport, and the Greater Golden Horseshoe region. This project will be transformational for Toronto Pearson by redefining the 'front door' of the airport, optimizing terminal real estate, positioning the airport for the future, and improving the passenger experience for millions of travellers."

HOK will lead a design team that includes WSP Engineers and Weston Williamson + Partners, and design work will begin immediately. The process will include engagement with many different stakeholder groups, including airport partners, government, and local community members.

by way of an FYI

upload_2018-3-20_10-48-52.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-20_10-48-52.png
    upload_2018-3-20_10-48-52.png
    351.7 KB · Views: 727

Back