Mississauga Pearson Transit Hub | ?m | ?s | GTAA

This looks incredible! Reminiscent of the great airport railway terminals of Europe and Asia like London, Amsterdam, Paris, Hong Kong and Tokyo.

The sign indicates that the Line 5 Crosstown, the Line 6 Finch West and some kind of rapid transit service built in the express lanes of highway 427 will be all branded as 'GO SmartTrack' when the commence operations in 2021 and 2022. So maybe the two centre lanes of the 427 will be converted to railway use in the 2020's at some point. By that point the TTC will probably extend Line 2 to a new terminus at Cloverdale to have a direct connection with the 427 rapid transit.

Last edited:
I still disagree with having security screening (i.e. passport control in the referenced image) at the transit centre.

This means bag drops happen there as well and the luggage processing system would be caarying bags all that way. Lot of opportunities for break downs.

Just leave the security screening at the orignal terminals and build a multi modal transit station.

The sign indicates that the Line 5 Crosstown, the Line 6 Finch West and some kind of rapid transit service built in the express lanes of highway 427 will be all branded as 'GO SmartTrack' when the commence operations in 2021 and 2022. So maybe the two centre lanes of the 427 will be converted to railway use in the 2020's at some point. By that point the TTC will probably extend Line 2 to a new terminus at Cloverdale to have a direct connection with the 427 rapid transit.
Regardless of branding, that's an incredible convergence of services at a second different location than Toronto Union.

-- Eglinton Crosstown LRT
-- Finch West LRT
-- UPX
-- Trains/HSR to Kitchener/London/Union
-- Car sharing
-- Buses

I think it will take till ~2031+ (or even 2040s) before all of these services converges here, but the planning certainly needs to protect for that eventuality.

This could be tomorrow's reinvented Malton GO, assuming a high-speed LINK II people mover (or even using LRT as the people mover -- connecting Finch West and Crosstown together with the core section becoming a fare-free-zone peoplemover).

Also, I hope Hamilton stays on the ball for the A-Line BRT plan to YHM. It also makes it a simpler two-hop between the two airports.

Hamilton already has its own equivalent of UPX: The new Pearson 40 express GO bus with an interim stop at Square 1, departing every 30 minutes.

That said, I hope (once Greyhound abandons the route), that Metrolinx eventually have a north-south Kitchener-Cambridge-Hamilton bus route. We shouldn't leave YHM out as a relief airport option, nor deprive Hamilton of access to the other tech hubs. YHM should be fully utilized long before Pickering Airport gets built. Even Pearson professed to such importance of connections.

Toronto Pearson said:
Relying on Regional Airports
Southern Ontario is fortunate to have many airports to serve aviation demand. With the growth that’s coming, the aviation pie in Southern Ontario is only going to get bigger. If airports work collectively to manage this growth, there will be economic benefits for the entire region.

Last edited:
I still disagree with having security screening (i.e. passport control in the referenced image) at the transit centre.

This means bag drops happen there as well and the luggage processing system would be caarying bags all that way. Lot of opportunities for break downs.

Just leave the security screening at the orignal terminals and build a multi modal transit station.

If designed properly, I think that one central point for check-in and security screening could work well. It would have the added advantage of making all of Terminals 1 and 3 secure zones as well.

Also, IIRC, the images released last year showed the current check-in area of Terminal 1 being re-purposed for additional gate space. A central processing facility in the Ground Terminal would facilitate that. Check-in, bag check, and security at the Ground Terminal, with US Customs Pre-Clearance at certain areas within T1 and T3.

Regardless of branding, that's an incredible convergence of services at a second different location than Toronto Union.

-- Eglinton Crosstown LRT
-- Finch West LRT
-- UPX
-- Trains/HSR to Kitchener/London/Union
-- Car sharing
-- Buses

I think it will take till ~2031+ (or even 2040s) before all of these services converges here, but the planning certainly needs to protect for that eventuality.

This could be tomorrow's reinvented Malton GO, assuming a high-speed LINK II people mover (or even using LRT as the people mover -- connecting Finch West and Crosstown together with the core section becoming a fare-free-zone peoplemover).

Also, I hope Hamilton stays on the ball for the A-Line BRT plan to YHM. It also makes it a simpler two-hop between the two airports.

Hamilton already has its own equivalent of UPX: The new Pearson 40 express GO bus with an interim stop at Square 1, departing every 30 minutes.

That said, I hope (once Greyhound abandons the route), that Metrolinx eventually have a north-south Kitchener-Cambridge-Hamilton bus route. We shouldn't leave YHM out as a relief airport option, nor deprive Hamilton of access to the other tech hubs. YHM should be fully utilized long before Pickering Airport gets built. Even Pearson professed to such importance of connections.

I agree with you that Hamilton is a viable relief airport option. The former British airline Flyglobespan referred to the airport as Toronto Hamilton International Airport. One of its runways 10,000 feet which it is long enough to accommodate all current types of civil aircraft including the popular Boeing 787 Dreamliner and the Airbus A380. There is a second runway at 6,000 feet. The majority of major airports in Europe have on average two runways. In the UK the two busiest airports London Heathrow and Manchester both are two runway airports. So Hamilton has lots of capacity without a need for costly runway expansions as it only currently handles 599,146 passengers per year. Manchester currently handles 27,791,274 passengers per year.

Importantly it is classified as an airport of entry by Nav Canada and is staffed by the Canada Border Services Agency so this means that it can accommodate international flights. LOT Polish Airlines has recently launched service to Warsaw initially with cargo flights with the possibility they will begin passenger flights; the airline operates the state-of -art Boeing 787 on international flights from Warsaw. Purolator, DHL and UPS each have a major cargo prescence at YHM. Westjet is currently growing its hub at hamilton and is going to launch Swoop ultra low-cost airline airline at the airport this year. Air Canada Express, Air Transat, Sunwing Airlines, and Flair Airlines operate domestic, trans-border and flights to Mexico and Cuba out of YHM.

Hamilton Street Railway's A-Line Express operates limited weekday service to downtown Hamilton.

Last edited:
What happens to the giant car parking garages when the transportation hub opens? Will they be redeveloped and moved/rebuilt underground?

What happens to the giant car parking garages when the transportation hub opens? Will they be redeveloped and moved/rebuilt underground?

That's what the renderings appear to indicate:
25069-87252.jpeg

That is a good question! The T-1 garage is massive, it is ranked number 8 in a list of the top 10 biggest parking structures in the world with parking space for up to 9,000 cars (https://www.drivespark.com/off-beat/top-10-biggest-car-parking-in-the-world/articlecontent-pf18349-010286.html).
It would be a gargantuan task to move that many spots underground.

The largest underground parking garage in Toronto is underneath City Hall and it contains 2,027 Spaces (https://parking.greenp.com/parking-...treet-west-nathan-phillips-square-garage.html) It was only able to be built because all of the land where the square and city hall stand was a dug up in the early 1960's.

Last edited:
If designed properly, I think that one central point for check-in and security screening could work well. It would have the added advantage of making all of Terminals 1 and 3 secure zones as well.

Also, IIRC, the images released last year showed the current check-in area of Terminal 1 being re-purposed for additional gate space. A central processing facility in the Ground Terminal would facilitate that. Check-in, bag check, and security at the Ground Terminal, with US Customs Pre-Clearance at certain areas within T1 and T3.

How would US pre-clearance work? You need separated entry/exit points from the security to the gates. Plus a way to move in/out of the US gates when transferring planes.

This is why I can't figure out how this would work.

Plus when I have to fly somewhere for work I don't want to spend 15 minutes walking to get to a gate. It'll drive people to the Island Airport.

The largest underground parking garage in Toronto is underneath City Hall
That's the largest parking authority garage in Toronto!
Thought It might be neat to collect a list of the largest parking lots or garages in the city.

The largest I've found:

1. Toronto Pearson - 15,600
2. Canada's Wonderland - 10,300
3. Square One - 8,700
4.Yorkdale - 8,200
5. Vaughan Mills - 6,300
6. Scarborough Town Centre - 5,796
7. Markville Mall - 5,170
8. Sherway Gardens - 5,161
9. Promenade Mall - 3,595
10. Pickering GO - 3,600
11. TTC Finch Lots - 3,227
12. Clarkson GO - 3,000
13. Erindale GO - 2,201
14. Toronto City Hall - 2,087
15. Green P 2 Church Street (st Lawrence garage) - 2,008
16. MTCC - 1,700
17. TTC Wilson Lots - 1,602
18. TTC Kipling Lots - 1,465
19. Oakville GO - 1,400
20. Enercare Centre - 1,300
21. TTC Kennedy Lots - 1,135
22. TTC Islington Lots - 1,087
23. TTC Warden Lots - 1071

Rules:

any collection of public (anyone can go and park there, so not condo garages) parking garages that have over 1,000 spots within the GTA. Malls, GO stations, etc. all count, as long as there is a source for the number.

How would US pre-clearance work? You need separated entry/exit points from the security to the gates. Plus a way to move in/out of the US gates when transferring planes.

This is why I can't figure out how this would work.

Plus when I have to fly somewhere for work I don't want to spend 15 minutes walking to get to a gate. It'll drive people to the Island Airport.

Basically the same way that it does today, only the security screening and pre-clearance wouldn't be back-to-back. There would be a walk in between them. Everyone would go through the same security screening at the Ground Terminal, then would walk to their respective terminal, then would pass through pre-clearance in order to get to their gate area.

This way, if you're transferring from a Canadian-only flight to a US-bound flight (or vice versa) you could enter or exit the customs area without ever having to leave the secure area and have to re-pass through security.

For you Bramptonians out there, yes, Bramalea City Centre does belong on the list. A solid 5th place with 6385 spots. But my “source” Is Wikipedia. :(

Back