Mississauga Parkside Village Residences | 135.93m | 45s | Amacon | Richmond Architects

Well, given the economic climate right now, let's see how much of Parkside Village Amacon is able to build.

CC, I am afraid that you may be right...the only saving grace may be that because Parkside Village is such a huge project, the possible 'recession' may have come and gone before it impacts too much. I would think that whatever phases they roll out in the next 6-12 months would be the most affected, if at all...

I'm not really aware of any specific time frame that has been put on it. Going back to the comments that were made at the "Placemaking" exercise two years ago, it's always been presented as a multi-year project.

I don't think it will suffer much. The location is good, and strong demand continues in the MCC. "Chicago" sold at almost a record pace, and "Onyx" has had strong sales, among others. If a recession does come, it will be locations which are less attractive than MCC that will be on thinner ice.

During the recession in the early 90's there very little development in MCC, if any. However, that was a major recession and the next will not be as big.

I hope Parkside Village weathers this economic recession. I think the first phase will sell well, since it's new. But I think they may have trouble selling the middle phases, which might not be as interesting. Yet another Parkisde Village condo? Yawn. Unless they're all very different and all very high quality. I think the low-rise will sell very well however.

they were putting up a large banner with a rendering of the 1st tower on the outside of the Amacon sales office on Burnhamthorpe this afternoon...looks like rollout is imminent for Tower 1..

Ive heard the first phases are going to be bulky, but the later phases are really going to be something!

They got a permit to put up signs (about 12 I believe) along the fences a couple weeks ago. I'd expect a launch by the end of the year (but I'm hoping for summer).

I'd expect a "rollout", at least for the first tower, this summer. They have been advertising pretty heavily in recent weeks (multiple pages in recent editions of "Condo Life"), and now signs on the sales centre. Sounds like something happening sooner than later.

I concur. I'd expect something soon, they wouldn't be advertising this much NOW for something coming in the fall.

Here is an update video of the area as of May 10.

Another developer needs to step in to help this project along based on what taking place on Hurontario St.

Not impress with those condo's and if this what we are going to get for this area, it will be cheap looking.

Even Danials needs to do some better as well something that not square.

This will still be an area where people will jump into their car to Get to Sq One as the streets will still be unfriendly like it is today.

from today's Globe:

Buildings designed to feed life into the city
Vancouver-based Amacon brings in famed former city planner Larry Beasley to give the heart of suburban Mississauga a jolt
JOHN BENTLEY MAYS

From Friday's Globe and Mail

May 16, 2008 at 12:00 AM EDT

Larry Beasley, Vancouver's planning czar until two years ago, and a key player in his city's famous (and controversial) downtown revitalization, remains one of the most influential urban thinkers in Canadian public life. Now in private practice, he is travelling around the world preaching the same message no matter where he goes.

This is the "new fashioned" gospel of what nearly all planners nowadays consider good urban design.

"Density, mixed use, finding kinds of development where the car is not so important, pedestrian orientation: These are important issues," Mr. Beasley said in a telephone conversation last week. "While we're pretty good at building cities in our country, we have to be moving on to different models in the future." The previous urban planning models encouraged suburban sprawl and monocultural building whereas multiple-use buildings are better for neighbourhoods than communities in which residential and shopping areas are widely separated, he explains.

But one Canadian town that's getting its urbanism right, in his view, is the huge Toronto satellite city of Mississauga. Mr. Beasley was an adviser to Mississauga's city government when it was drawing up its ambitious scheme for intensifying the suburb's central district, around the Square One shopping mall and the Civic Centre.

"Mississauga is starting to think of itself as more than an adjunct to Toronto — the place where the airport is — and potentially its own place, with its own identity and separateness. What has been problematic is getting the diversity of urban activities happening there. You see some housing, but not many people on the street, and the big mall in the centre, but that doesn't put many people on the street either."

The people will start livening up the downtown Mississauga streets, however, when the $2-billion mixed-use project, which Mr. Beasley considers the city's best and brightest, opens for business.

Scheduled to go to market in June, it's called Parkside Village, and is the handiwork of the Vancouver-based Amacon development company. When fully built out, Parkside Village will have about 6,000 residential units, from townhouses to tower apartments, and a population upward of 15,000.

Though he has no professional relationship with Amacon (which has named a Vancouver tower The Beasley in his honour), Mr. Beasley is an ardent admirer of the firm and especially its decision to lay down sophisticated, precise guidelines (devised by the Toronto firm Urban Strategies Inc.) for its Mississauga work.

"Look closely and you see mixed-use buildings that feed the sidewalks and streets with activity, with safety, with urban qualities that we associate with successful cities. That's unusual in the development frame of Mississauga. Amacon has done a very good job at articulating a scheme that is very dense, very mixed-use, and that has a lot of public endowments, from significant open space that links up with other open spaces to bikeways. They've gone with a block size that's very livable, compatible with the blocks that already exist within the community."

"I'm not saying it's perfect," he adds. "They might want to put in more social diversity and add more community facilities. But it's a positive urban contribution, with retailing, workplaces and offices, a lot of housing that doesn't keep people separated from the street. It's an agenda for urbanism I wish were on every city's agenda."

Mississauga did not demand an affordable or low-income housing component at Parkside Village, an Amacon spokeswoman told me, and the company did not see fit to provide one. If the project is not perfect in Mr. Beasley's eyes, this absence of social diversity is one key reason why. "I take a philosophical view," he said, "that a more successful city is one in which you mix people of all kinds of income."

But even when cities put in place vigorous policies intended to keep revitalizing downtowns affordable for low-income people — as Vancouver did on Mr. Beasley's watch — large new investment in an urban centre inexorably drives up housing prices and drives out the less well-heeled. This is certainly what has happened in Vancouver, largely as a result of the strong inner-city intensification Mr. Beasley did so much to encourage.

"It is absolutely true, not because of our housing policy, but because of the very proactive policy of revitalizing downtown Vancouver," he said.

"It's very true that it's producing affordability problems now. We haven't paid enough attention to middle-income housing.

"Our policies, by virtue of opening up supply, held off the issue for many, many years.

But now, the overall attractiveness and value of the city is putting pressure there. I don't feel it's some kind of failure that we happened to revitalize Vancouver and took it up by billions of dollars in value. But it does mean that the coming planning generation must address that."

and here's the render of Tower #1, posted at emporis....looks a bit like Couture, imo...this low-res shot is possibly a photo from today's Mississauga News

614286.jpg

and here's the render of Tower #1, posted at emporis....looks a bit like Couture, imo...this low-res shot is possibly a photo from today's Mississauga News

614286.jpg

Pic didnt work, so I saved it and uploaded it to photobucket:

614286.jpg

Back