Toronto Pan Am Village in the West Don Lands | ?m | ?s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

Is that how long it is expected to build out that site?

A wild guess but I doubt they would be putting up 10 million square feet of office space quickly. @Armour

I believe this is less depressing than first feared. I think it is the creation of the base for an art installation by Berlin artists Hadley+Maxwell.

See this Waterfront Toronto blog entry from 2014.

Berlin-Based Artists Hadley+Maxwell to Create New ‘Garden of Future Follies’ for Front Street East

Garden+of+Future+Follies+01.jpg

Installation has begun.....taken this afternoon.

W Donlands Art.1.jpg
W Donlands Art.2.jpg
W Donlands Art.3.jpg
W Donlands Art.4.jpg
W Donlands Art.5.jpg

Along with some recently opened shops....the bike shop is next to this art installation.

W Donlands shops.1.jpg
W Donlands shops.2.jpg

W Donlands shops.3.jpg
W Donlands shops.4.jpg

Attachments

• W Donlands Art.1.jpg
    W Donlands Art.1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,707
  • W Donlands Art.2.jpg
    W Donlands Art.2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,682
  • W Donlands Art.3.jpg
    W Donlands Art.3.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,687
  • W Donlands Art.4.jpg
    W Donlands Art.4.jpg
    888.7 KB · Views: 1,640
  • W Donlands Art.5.jpg
    W Donlands Art.5.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,694
  • W Donlands shops.1.jpg
    W Donlands shops.1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,731
  • W Donlands shops.2.jpg
    W Donlands shops.2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,623
  • W Donlands shops.3.jpg
    W Donlands shops.3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,635
  • W Donlands shops.4.jpg
    W Donlands shops.4.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,670
Last edited:
We're thinking of renting one of the condos in the area. What neighbourhood amenities are there for day-to-day? For example, where do you buy groceries, or grab a cheap bite out?

Closest big grocery store would be No Frills on Front in the old Sun plant. Princess st. Or maybe T&T on Cherry, which has lots of non-Asian stuff mixed in with the more exotic imports.

A cheap bite out? King east, Queen east, Distillery, St. Lawrence are all walking distance - I'd say crossing the bridge to Queen east would have the most variety of cheap eats, but even Distillery has the Mill St. Brewpub.

I think anyone moving in this area needs to view it as a long term investment; Sorry not financially but from a enjoying living within a walking distance point of view; Things will only get better in this area.

The only concern I'd have (maybe similar to the distillery district when it started); How will all these early retailers fare the first 5 years ? I think it's going to be tough on them.

I think anyone moving in this area needs to view it as a long term investment; Sorry not financially but from a enjoying living within a walking distance point of view; Things will only get better in this area.

The only concern I'd have (maybe similar to the distillery district when it started); How will all these early retailers fare the first 5 years ? I think it's going to be tough on them.

This is true, but be prepared to wait, and this is mainly in a booming city. If the market falls off then a lot of the planned projects will be put on the shelf so I'd say you should be prepared to live in the area as it is right now. That said, I do see plenty of good things here and would buy here if given the opportunity.

Pluses:
YMCA, close to King and Queen lines, close to Riverside shops, Near distillery district, close to the waterfront. A new neighbourhood. Close to parks and bike paths. The prices seem to be pretty fair.

Negatives:
Living in construction for years to come (can say this about even fully built areas too, though). Immediate area does not have much retail and we don't even know how that retail will fair. Not much foot traffic. Desperate need of a grocery store and would add a pharmacy as well. While close to Queen and King streetcar lines, you still have to walk a bit.
Area is a bit of a ghost town and the grey can be a bit depressing.

A few more additions to the new street art. The level of detail is pretty impressive as seen in the fourth photo (where it's apparent these will be lit at night).

Panam1.jpg
Panam2.jpg
Panam3.jpg
Panam4.jpg

This should be popular during the hot, dog days of summer....

Panam5.jpg

Panam6.jpg

Attachments

• Panam1.jpg
    Panam1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,172
  • Panam2.jpg
    Panam2.jpg
    943.5 KB · Views: 1,087
  • Panam3.jpg
    Panam3.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,148
  • Panam4.jpg
    Panam4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,111
  • Panam5.jpg
    Panam5.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,155
  • Panam6.jpg
    Panam6.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,121
Last edited:
Art's definitely subjective. The bronze statue piece is confusing to me, and I'm not a big fan. But I really like the other two. Overall a big plus from me.

The WDL public art component is turning out nicely – a good mix of non-representational, whimsical, and provocative.

Fully agree adHominem. There's nothing wrong with bold simple fun 'art' such as the Water Guardians, or the worshipping squirrels in Joel Weeks Park (first pic below). But there's always room for more provocative interesting art such as these opposite the new bike shop. Some more progress today when I went by....

W Donlands1.jpg
W Donlands2.jpg
W Donlands3.jpg
W Donlands4.jpg

I think this is a personal favourite. A little light-hearted. And yes that's a bunny on the mantle. :)

W Donlands6.jpg
W Donlands7.jpg

Yet more additions to the 'hood...Tabule (yum), Sukhothai (double yum), another fitness place and the last one I think you know.

W Donlands8.jpg
W Donlands9.jpg
W Donlands10.jpg

Attachments

• W Donlands1.jpg
    W Donlands1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 666
  • W Donlands2.jpg
    W Donlands2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 590
  • W Donlands3.jpg
    W Donlands3.jpg