Toronto Pan Am Village in the West Don Lands | ?m | ?s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

I think it depends how the empty lots are treated. Even if they get used temporarily as parking lots or pavilions (a food truck lot, maybe?) it shouldn't be so bad. I don't think people realize how close this area is to the Distillery and Corktown, so it's not like there's nothing else nearby

I'm not entirely sure, but it looks like they've already started paving Cherry Street.

img4258ws.jpg

I'm not entirely sure, but it looks like they've already started paving Cherry Street.
They put in the concrete curbs between, at least, Front and Mill in mid-December and poured most of the concrete roadbed in that block just before Christmas. I understand they will do no more concrete work until the 'road season" restarts in late march or April. Cherry is supposed to be re-opened in May/June (doubtless July/August) 2013. The TTC expects to lay their track from King to the Cherry loop next summer; though the loop track will not be installed and in use until after the Pan-Am Games.

why won't it be in use during the games? it would look silly for there to be a brand new unused streetcar track during the games. I can understand it not being used up to the games(as there would be no usage of it), but the tracks should be in use during it.

why won't it be in use during the games? it would look silly for there to be a brand new unused streetcar track during the games. I can understand it not being used up to the games(as there would be no usage of it), but the tracks should be in use during it.
It won't be in use because there are temporary PAG buildings etc going where the loop will go and also because this whole area will be behind a securitry fence during the games. They are building the line from King to the loop in 2013 at same time they are rebuilding the road. Once the PAG are over the temporary buildings will be demolished and the loop built. The line will be in operation in time for the real residents moving into the PAG buildings in 2016.

I'd love to see more brick paving here, probably wishful thinking ... I really hope they can do something better then the typical sidewalk ...

Heck even York Region managed to do this ... I should post a pick, but the new sidewalks (at least near the intersections) on Hi-way 7 are amazing ! Combination of some stone / brick pattern.

Cherry Street is going to look top-notch. WT has been planting larger trees that already look established; which is a nice change from a lot of developers who just plant the bare minimum, stick-like trees that never really fill in. Just look at all the amazing trees planted at Sugar Beach, and their other parks, too!

I'm very hopeful for this whole area coming alive and being on people's radar once the surrounding streets and parks open up this year :)

Whenever I look at the George Brown and Lorus buildings I'm struck by the lost opportunity to open up the lake. Sure there's a walkway along the water's edge for those that want to walk around these buildings, but this was the last urban area on the lake shore that wasn't blocked by buildings.

I couldn't agree more. Sherbourne Common is far too small a park to meet the needs of the residents that will be living in the surrounding condos, yet to be built. It will be way too congested.

Give me a break, the large don lands park isn't very far away ... I'll agree getting there is tricky today due to terrible connections in the area, but assuming that approves, there will be plenty of parkland.

Give me a break, the large don lands park isn't very far away ... I'll agree getting there is tricky today due to terrible connections in the area, but assuming that approves, there will be plenty of parkland.

But that park isn't at the lake's edge. There really should be a large park by the water.

But your comment was in regards to lack of parkland, not the location of said parkland. I believe the plans do call for public promenades all along the waterfront ... to me this is ideal use, not parks in the traditional sense ... I'd rather build up right to the water (low rises that meet the street well) parkland can go anywhere, step back 50m from the water's edge and its no different from a park 1km inland. So again, create beautiful streetscapes on the water's edge (i.e. boardwalks / little parquets / retail) ... larger [parks can be inland.

The west end is full of parkland built right up to the water, yet there's better little of else interesting in the area.

But your comment was in regards to lack of parkland, not the location of said parkland. I believe the plans do call for public promenades all along the waterfront ... to me this is ideal use, not parks in the traditional sense ... I'd rather build up right to the water (low rises that meet the street well) parkland can go anywhere, step back 50m from the water's edge and its no different from a park 1km inland. So again, create beautiful streetscapes on the water's edge (i.e. boardwalks / little parquets / retail) ... larger [parks can be inland.

The west end is full of parkland built right up to the water, yet there's better little of else interesting in the area.

True. I should have initially made the proximity to the lake clear. I see it the other way around--I'd prefer retail and condos bordering on Queens Quay or north of it, and a large park (not parkettes) right up to the lake's edge.

Back