Toronto Pan Am Village in the West Don Lands | ?m | ?s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

we did see this:

urbantoronto-5907-18694.png

(the one on the left)

that was / is the final design, you can see the YMCA / George Brown Residence in the background. the preliminary renders for the area looked like this:

PanAmVillage.jpg

another render:

img_toronto.jpg

In innsertnamehere's most recent post (immediately above) the first rendering predates the design/build competition, while the lower one is from the winning Dundee Kilmer plan that included Ten Arquitectos. As they were part of the reason that that plan won, I wonder what Waterfront Toronto and Dundee Kilmer have to say about the fact that they are now gone. The neighbourhood should have some more landmark buildings in it, and not just the River City ones.

I take it that Kuwabara did not indicate that anyone interesting was being brought on board to replace Ten? Someone needs to be. The buildings down there should not be all monoculture Toronto Box.

^ Agreed...def. more landmark buildings needed here. Block 4 is "interesting", and currently under construction, and SHOULD look like the lower rendering above.

But Block 13 was going to be amazing.
:( block 13 is what I was looking forward to the most.
Me too.

Well this sucks...

Is it possible that we get something similar to the rendering for Block 13, because as interchange42 states "they were part of the reason that that plan won"?

A few more stills from the Canary District Condos promo video. They look quite detailed indeed, it would be a shame if this building is never built.

screenshot20130125at327.png

screenshot20130125at328.png

screenshot20130125at328.png

The design always looked to me like something that Saucier + Perrotte would come up with. I'd love to see them get more work in this area.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/01/28/info-booth-what-exactly-is-a-woonerf-anyway/

Info Booth: What exactly is a woonerf, anyway?

Sarah Del Giallo | Jan 28, 2013 2:48 AM ET

Q Waterfront Toronto has begun construction on Toronto’s first woonerf in the West Don Lands. But, wait … what’s a woonerf?

A “Woonerf” is a Dutch term for “living street,” says Christopher Glaisek, Waterfront Toronto’s vice-president of design.

First developed in the Netherlands, it’s a space where pedestrians take priority and vehicles act as guests.

A woonerf allows a space to be used in multiple ways — an area for kids to play, a walkway and a laneway for delivery trucks to name a few. Waterfront Toronto is piloting the project, with aid and approval from the city.

The waterfront is constructing two woonerfs — sort of. South of King Street East, it will start from St. Lawrence Street running east, not quite reaching Bayview.

Then it will wrap around in a “U” and head back toward St. Lawrence.

Construction has started, but no end date has been set because it’s highly dependent on the surrounding buildings under construction. Mr. Glaisek said it will probably be done in about a year and a half.

Here's the current view of the area, River City in the background and 3 cranes for the West Don Lands, I presume Pan Am games athletic facilities.
DSC_0422.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0422.jpg
    DSC_0422.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:

Back