Toronto Paintbox | ?m | 26s | Daniels | Diamond Schmitt

I dunno Taal, It seems to be this is a reasonable argument/debate to be had, and some people have some views of this area that possibly stem from some potentially racial or class bias that is completely unfounded on fact, that many including myself feel should not be let go so swiftly. Its the same sort of underlying prejudice that one finds directed towards many groups, and personally on an upstanding site like this we maybe should hold ourselves to a standard that doesn't just let comments like this go unnoticed.

I dunno Taal, It seems to be this is a reasonable argument/debate to be had, and some people have some views of this area that possibly stem from some potentially racial or class bias that is completely unfounded on fact, that many including myself feel should not be let go so swiftly. Its the same sort of underlying prejudice that one finds directed towards many groups, and personally on an upstanding site like this we maybe should hold ourselves to a standard that doesn't just let comments like this go unnoticed.

I can agree with what you're saying. However the commentor in question here is, I suspect, just a common troll looking for reactions, based on everything else he has written on other threads.

Regent Park's redevelopment is no longer just theoretical outcomes to be debated. Some buildings have been occupied for two years. It is a success, period. The negative outcomes expected by certain people aren't materializing.

Last edited:
The mixed income housing of the St. Lawrence market area was a model for this, and it seems to be working fine 25 years later. I've been the the complex on Carol by Dundas, and you're right about that place. It's going to be a complete ghetto soon. However, I don't believe that means these plans are doomed to fail; as above they work and they don't work depending on circumstance. I hope regent park works out. If I were in the market for a condo, I'd by here rather than Cityplace.

Not so sure about this. I have a friend that works at CAS and she's said that they see too many cases coming from the social housing complexes within the St Lawrence area....

How about we look at things statistically. These charts are from the Toronto Police website. The YTD numbers for 2011 don't show that much difference in crime (except for a few categories) between 51 Division which includes Regent Park and 52 Division which includes CityPlace. The only thing not stated is the population of each division. It would be nice to see stats on a per capita basis.

Capturep51.JPG
Capturep52.JPG

Data is excellent...thank you. Sleaziness in this division however, is highly granular. George's Play across from Woody's, Cabbagetown across from Regent. The beauty of it however is it can all change with a new building or tenant.

How about we look at things statistically. These charts are from the Toronto Police website. The YTD numbers for 2011 don't show that much difference in crime (except for a few categories) between 51 Division which includes Regent Park and 52 Division which includes CityPlace. The only thing not stated is the population of each division. It would be nice to see stats on a per capita basis.

Thanks for the numbers. Credit to TPS for getting the car theft situation under control.

Not so sure about this. I have a friend that works at CAS and she's said that they see too many cases coming from the social housing complexes within the St Lawrence area....

I realize that subsidized housing has a lot of crime, but despite this it's still a highly desired area to live in. That's what I meant by success. Market rate condos in those areas still go for really high prices. If Regent Park ends up anything like St. Lawrence, then it will be a hell of a lot better than it was, and in my view, a success.

I am in one of the townhomes at One Park West and I can personally say the change has been dramatic. While I too was skeptical at first, particularly when the development was relatively new and there was a lot of construction going on, now that its taking shape, I'm very impressed. I agree with the earlier poster, the key is the Dundas and Parliament corner. Even after One Cole was built, there was some shady looking people hanging out and now its become quite the meeting place from early in the morning to late at night. I can honestly say that I've gone from being nervous being out at night to feeling safe. The area of Cabbagetown to the north also feels quite safe. The only caveat to this is actually the area between Church and Parliament on Dundas. It still feels like an isolated community and I'm not so sure that being out on Yonge and walking through that area home is that safe, there are still a lot of shelters in that area. Other than Pace condos at Jarvis I don't know if there are any plans to develop that segment any further.

I was able to get some great shots of the townhouses in various stages of demolition between Regent Street and Sumach Street. Interestingly, window frames, satellite dishes and even curtains were still remaining even as all but the walls they are affixed to are cleared away.

The feeling was eerie, and for some pictures, all you need is some Phillp Glass - it really reminds one of the scenes of vacated Pruitt-Igoe.

All my recent Regent Park pics are here.

6060459877_8ba65da07a_b.jpg

6061008828_ebba9a3c6b_b.jpg

6061007398_79cd763cb3_b.jpg

6061005156_319433aa96_b.jpg

6061004278_cdac059eb5_b.jpg

6061003850_18d17fab67_b.jpg

Great pictures, thanks for posting.

I actually used to like walking through that area south of Dundas now and then. It wasn't exactly full of architectural beauty, but it was evidently cared for, in all sorts of ways, by the community there. If you use words like "well lived in", "community spirit", "homey", "public displays" or "unpretentious" in conjunction with Regent Park, the terms seemed to border on condecension or disapproval. But from what I saw, these terms would all be signs that a lot there was going on well there. Then.
I miss the trees, too. They were older, lush, huge. It's too bad they had to go.

The footprint of Paintbox plus the Arts Centre is really imposing when walking by. It's surprisingly massive.

The Dundas / Parliament intersection has changed so much and in a very positive way. It feels more Cabbagetown than Regent Park nowadays. Also, that new FreshCo and Tim's makes that 1 Cole an impressive building. It's a very unpretentious intersection that's for sure.

Much of the area around the building at Parliament and Dundas has been blocked off. I have heard this was due to another case of falling balcony glass.

Great pictures, thanks for posting.

I actually used to like walking through that area south of Dundas now and then. It wasn't exactly full of architectural beauty, but it was evidently cared for, in all sorts of ways, by the community there. If you use words like "well lived in", "community spirit", "homey", "public displays" or "unpretentious" in conjunction with Regent Park, the terms seemed to border on condecension or disapproval. But from what I saw, these terms would all be signs that a lot there was going on well there. Then.
I miss the trees, too. They were older, lush, huge. It's too bad they had to go.
Ohhhh.. those memories of a drug infested, crime ridden, derelict neighbourhood...
Thank god its all being bulldozed.:)

Back