Toronto Paintbox | ?m | 26s | Daniels | Diamond Schmitt

Was downtown yesterday and took a stroll from Parliament east to River. It was quite amazing how much they have torn down especially the Arts and Cultural Centre and Paintbox area. I see the makings of the park across the street, it will be quite amazing I think. Unfortunately did not bring my camera with me. With the warm weather, it is true what they say, "eyes on the street", there were tons of people at the corner of Dundas and Parliament just hanging out. I think the main thing now will be to connect cabbagetown and to see if anything can be done with that desolate stretch of road between Church and Parliament.

I went along Dundas on friday and looked at the progress and it's amazing what they've done. This area is going to look massively different in a few more years and most likely trigger other developments/redevelopments. Too much grey though in the materials being used for several of the buildings.

It's hard to tell from a rendering, but I'm worried about how the arts centre will turn out. White metal cladding - especially white aluminum cladding like Torontovibe reminded us - dates very badly in our climate and, before you know it, you have something that looks like one of those godawful two storey medical clinics from the 1970s with the thin windows strips that's clad in aluminum siding.

The pool is nice, if a tad suburban. We re trying to build a metropolis, here, we don't need some marsh plants out front.

I agree about the cladding, I'm not keen on white cladding.

from today
20110606a087.jpg

Great picture but this is actually of north side of Dundas, where the Aquatic Centre is going. Paintbox and Cultural Centre are opposite on south side, and getting big too.

from today
20110606a087.jpg

The mechanical structure on the tallest tower among the new Regent Park buildings is ghastly from certain angles on the ground. Though the rest of the tower may be built to market standards, the mechanical box evokes the kind of sobering cheapness many associate with public housing. I hope they avoid having another building with such a massive mechanical structure.

Not that I disagree with you on the aesthetics of the mechanical, but I wouldn't worry about it being repeated. As far as I know the tower was designed around exhaust stacks for a district energy centre, and the relative mass of the mechanical is a direct result of this.

The mechanical structure on the tallest tower among the new Regent Park buildings is ghastly from certain angles on the ground. Though the rest of the tower may be built to market standards, the mechanical box evokes the kind of sobering cheapness many associate with public housing. I hope they avoid having another building with such a massive mechanical structure.
It's not so bad. At least they made an attempt to cover it up, where as Rogers, has done nothing of the sort in Dundas Square. I think it looks interesting, surrounded by all that metal.

I'm waiting to see what the cladding will be like on the arts centre. It should be going on soon, as the building has topped off.

I really hope that the multicoloured panel on top of the schematic at Paintbox is kept. It is a very unusual and cool feature. I guess it might get old after a while but will look better than most tops.

More density coming.

591 DUNDAS ST E

Site Plan Approval 11 218221 STE 28 SA Ward 28
- Tor & E.York Jun 14, 2011 --- --- --- ---

Block 21, in phase 2 of the Regent Park Revitalization. The proposed development of these lands includes a thirteen storey (13) condominium and three blocks (3) of three storey town homes. The mid-rise building and town homes will sit on approximately one and a half levels of underground parking. There will be thirty(30) grade related townhouses and eight (8) grade related units on the ground floor of the mid-rise building.

Paintbox to be 28s?

http://www.toronto.ca/planning/pdf/cofa_tey_agenda_22jun11.pdf

591 DUNDAS ST E
File Number: A0165/11TEY Zoning R4A (waiver)
Owner(s): TORONTO COMMUNITY
HOUSING CORPORATION
FINANCE DEPARTMENT
[
Ward: Toronto Centre-Rosedale
(28)
Agent: REMO AGOSTINO
Property Address: 591 DUNDAS ST E Community: Toronto
Legal Description: PLAN 802E BLKS A TO M O TO R U TO W X1 X3 X5 X6 PT BLKS J N
BLEVINS PLACE AND RP 66R 22352 PARTS 1 TO 14 SEE NTE
PURPOSE OF THE APPLICATION:
To modify the redevelopment plan for the 26-storey mixed-use building containing 283 dwelling units and an
Arts and Cultural Centre, approved under Site Specific By-law 141-2005 and Site Specific By-law 943-2009 by:
using a portion of the below grade parking are as a "commercial parking garage"; increasing the building height;
and and providing bicycle parking spaces in a secured room.

REQUESTED VARIANCE(S) TO THE ZONING BY-LAW:
1. Section 12(2), 132, By-law 438-86
A commercial parking garage in this area is not permitted.
In this case, a commercial parking garage is being proposed.

Section 4(k)(ii) By-law 141-2005 and Section 1(2)(c), By-law 943-2009
The maximum permitted height of Type B Tower is 77 m.
The proposed building height will be 82.7 m, measured to the top of the residential roof.

A historic moment for Regent Park: Sackville is once again a through street from Gerrard to Dundas for the first time in decades.
Construction fencing and equipment on Sackville Street was removed last week which was blocking the access during the redevelopment. Next up Dundas to Shuter!
That final link will return Sackville to being a through street from Wellesley all the way to Queen (and a bit further south.)

Last edited:

Back