Toronto Ontario Place | ?m | ?s | Infrastructure ON

Wynne's campaign promise to retain Cinesphere and the pods, along with no condos, just sealed the deal for me. If her government holds onto power I'd like to see Ontario Place handed over to Waterfront Toronto to beautify and re-imagine these spaces. Ontario Place can successfully move into the 21st century, given a vision and the political will.

You know how I interpret that, shitty green space, on top of more shitty green space .. oh yes, with a retained cineshpere ... yey ...

To clarify I'm not stating green space is bad, rather what they build will be ... entertainment probably won't be much more then a ciniplex at the cineshpere ..

I say this because, selling part of the land is going to bring in quite a bit of the money required for anything more grand, otherwise, I don't see them building of much anything of interest.

Anyway, time will tell.

You know how I interpret that, shitty green space, on top of more shitty green space .. oh yes, with a retained cineshpere ... yey ...

To clarify I'm not stating green space is bad, rather what they build will be ... entertainment probably won't be much more then a ciniplex at the cineshpere ..

I say this because, selling part of the land is going to bring in quite a bit of the money required for anything more grand, otherwise, I don't see them building of much anything of interest.

Anyway, time will tell.

The "fun" part of Ontario Place could incorporate what worked prior to closure, expand the water park and add new rides and attractions to keep it fresh. Ideas are endless as to what the pods could be used for to draw people in there and the Cinesphere worked just fine right until the end as a venue for giant screen shorts. Fall through spring activities ramp up in the pods and the Cinesphere could be run as a regular cinema showing feature IMAX films. What has to be determined is who is Ontario Place trying to attract? Is it families with younger children, teens & 20's or maybe both - and then planned and programmed accordingly. The problems with Ontario Place was is it got a little stale, it got too expensive for what was delivered and had no easy transit access.

I always kind of liked Ontario Place. It was a good balance of the ultra-hyper Wonderland and the very passive Centreville.

The log ride is an absolute favorite of mine. Also had some fun in their mini-golf and when they had the super long maze game. I think Ontario Place can be very good still if they find a their nice niche of just a step below the over-the-top of Wonderland and a bit more family friendly rides. It is a good place, dt geek said it just got a bit stale. Add a few more things and I think they would be okay.

I know I miss Ontario Place.

Kathleen Wynne says no condos at Ontario Place
http://www.thestar.com/news/queensp...en_wynne_vows_no_condos_at_ontario_place.html

Perhaps not as important, but that whole area west of Humber Bridge is like that -- beautiful location, great vistas, but not great transit. Yes, you can get the streetcar on Lake Shore if you head over that way, but the same could be said about Ontario Place -- just cross over the pedestrian bridge and get the streetcar at the Ex.

This makes me feel very relieved. I think OP could very easily be turned around if the effort was put into it. Well, this seals the deal for me. Wynne has got herself another vote.

I always kind of liked Ontario Place. It was a good balance of the ultra-hyper Wonderland and the very passive Centreville.

The log ride is an absolute favorite of mine. Also had some fun in their mini-golf and when they had the super long maze game. I think Ontario Place can be very good still if they find a their nice niche of just a step below the over-the-top of Wonderland and a bit more family friendly rides. It is a good place, dt geek said it just got a bit stale. Add a few more things and I think they would be okay.

I know I miss Ontario Place.

I do too. My parents couldn't afford to take me to Wonderland as a kid so Ontario Place was the summer destination. I've had many childhood memories there.

From the June WT Board Meeting CEO Report:

Ontario Place Park
On May 8, 2014, the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport (“MTCS”) asked that all work be halted
during the Provincial Election-putting the Park and Trail project on hold. With the election of a Majority Liberal Government, MTCS is anticipating a start-up date of August 1st, 2014. The revised schedule anticipates an August 2016 completion date. Next steps include issuing the RFP for the Phase 1 (sub-surface works), and completing the 100% Design Development
Drawings. Discussions are currently being held to decide on the type and timing of a public “unveil” of the final design

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/uploads/documents/ceo_report___public_1.pdf (p. 9)

AoD

This particular project will only rebirth a small portion of it.

Building in incremental steps is a good strategy: it becomes exponentially harder to achieve buy-in and approvals as the number of modules increases. The en-masse planning on Waterfront Toronto in other neighborhoods does seem to be working, but it sure is a slow process.

I believe the slow, incremental staging of this project is designed to have us all forget about Ontario Place so they ultimately won't have to spend any money on it. My prediction is that any plans for redevelopment will be put indefinitely on hold - using a variety of excuses - then one day ten years from now the government of the day will sell it to developers.

It's not unlike the transit plan. As long as no one agrees what has to be done, no one has to spend any money on it - the Federal and Provincial coffers can relax and throw money to their friends building gas plants and pipelines.

I thought Ontario Place was closed. And is this the kind of event Mammo wants to keep out of the Ex?

BlogTO: EDM fest rivals Pride for Toronto's most colourful party

Digital Dreams 2014 saw the same rainbow that sparkled over the World Pride Parade beaming over Ontario Place - except this rainbow had a warble to it. Canada's largest EDM festival saw about 80,000 neon clad partiers dance to four stages worth of sets by 102 artists including Tiesto, Justice, Keys N Krates, Danny Tenaglia, Art Department, Nicole Moudaber, Nervo, Guy Gerber, and yes - someone named Bro Safari.

OP is closed. Digital Dreams took place at Echo Beach and at a giant honking stage that was set up in the parking lot.

Can't wait:D

Tourism minister to provide update on Ontario Place future

Ontario Tourism Minister Michael Coteau is expected to make an announcement on Thursday about the future of Ontario Place.

The news conference will be held at 9 a.m. at Former Sails restaurant, located at the amusement park site.

Coteau will be joined by Trinity-Spadina MPP Han Dong.

It’s not clear what Coteau will say, but during the provincial election campaign the Liberals talked about revitalizing Ontario Place.

Some of the ideas floated included a park, a waterfront trail and a music venue. They also promised to bar condominiums or other residential development on the site.
http://www.citynews.ca/2014/07/31/tourism-minister-to-provide-update-on-ontario-place-future/

Last edited:
Can't wait:D

Tourism minister to provide update on Ontario Place future

Ontario Tourism Minister Michael Coteau is expected to make an announcement on Thursday about the future of Ontario Place.

The news conference will be held at 9 a.m. at Former Sails restaurant, located at the amusement park site.

Coteau will be joined by Trinity-Spadina MPP Han Dong.

It’s not clear what Coteau will say, but during the provincial election campaign the Liberals talked about revitalizing Ontario Place.

Some of the ideas floated included a park, a waterfront trail and a music venue. They also promised to bar condominiums or other residential development on the site.
http://www.citynews.ca/2014/07/31/tourism-minister-to-provide-update-on-ontario-place-future/

Don't necessarily expect too much - given the timetable mentioned re: Ontario Place Park from the WT CEO Report posted, it might just be unveiling of the final design.

AoD

News Release from the Ministry of Tourism, Culture & Sport (renderings available from the link):

News Release
Revitalizing Ontario Place
Province Plans Year-Round Waterfront Destination for All Ontarians to Enjoy
July 31, 2014 9:00 a.m.

Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport

The province is moving forward with its long-term vision to revitalize Ontario Place into a vibrant waterfront destination. The government's plan does not include residential development of any kind on a space that should remain public.

The revitalized Ontario Place will offer the public access to a spectacular part of Toronto and a mix of outdoor and indoor features, including:

Greater public recreational space -- a collection of green spaces and a blue park for water activities, as well as a waterfront trail.
A celebration common -- an area for cultural activities, festivals and community events.
Live music legacy -- expansion of live music options that will include continuing performances at the Molson Canadian Amphitheatre, as well as exploring options to bring live music acts to the site year-round.
A hub for culture, discovery and innovation -- new facilities that have an eye towards the future, focused on learning and research.
Cinesphere and pods -- will be conserved as an important part of the site's cultural heritage.
A canal district -- a waterfront promenade lined with stores and restaurants.
Improved connections -- including a landscaped pedestrian bridge that doubles as a gathering space extending across Lake Shore Boulevard and linking with Exhibition Place.

The province continues to work closely with the City of Toronto to realize the shared potential of Ontario Place and Exhibition Place.

Revitalizing Ontario Place is part of the government's economic plan to invest in people, build modern infrastructure and support a dynamic business climate.
Quick Facts

The first phase of Ontario Place revitalization is building the urban park and waterfront trail.
The next stage of work includes an environmental assessment and land-use planning process, further consultations with Ontarians and soil remediation.
Ontario Place sits on 63 hectares — 28 of land and 35 of water lots.
The Minister's Advisory Panel on Ontario Place Revitalization released a report in July 2012 containing 18 recommendations on how to transform Ontario Place. The new vision reinforces the guiding principles in the report to create a destination that is open year round.

http://news.ontario.ca/mtc/en/2014/07/revitalizing-ontario-place.html

AoD

Back