Toronto Ontario Place | ?m | ?s | Infrastructure ON

I saw this on the news tonight. Preliminary locations could include the Portlands or in Mississauga. The Ontario Place option is pretty much off the table because they want to start construction a year from now with completion for later in 2016 and apparently there are barriers to securing the needed space at Ontario Place. Ontario Place is the perfect fit, this is apparently the whole problem - making Ontario Place a year 'round destination. The Molson Amphitheatre could be retained along with the pods and Cinesphere, then they could put up their stupid condos at the west end as planned. How can Ontario Place not be the perfect location for this and how can the red tape not be cut to free up and sell that space in short order? This really makes me mad.

NO condos at Ontario Place, PLEASE! I could see a hotel but I definitely do not want to see residential at a major tourist attraction.

^^ Of course, the same thing always happen. People move into a noisy entertainment/tourist area, then they complain about noise, traffic and too many people having fun in their neighbourhood. Then they complain to the city and try to shut down all the fun. Which leads me to ask, why did they move into the noisy, crowded, festive neighbourhood in the first place? People are strange, and so is this city. I hope the same BS doesn't happen to Ontario Place or the CNE because lots of very noisy things go on in both places.

It wouldn't be good if they built condos at Ontario Place. Scarce waterfront land would be given to private interests, and residents would try to make the area into a quiet enclave.

It wouldn't be good if they built condos at Ontario Place. Scarce waterfront land would be given to private interests, and residents would try to make the area into a quiet enclave.

Same thing is happening around the Billy Bishop (Island) Airport. The airport has been there for decades, but when they try to expand the airport the condo owners and tenants start complaining about the noise. Ditto for Pearson Airport.

NO condos at Ontario Place, PLEASE! I could see a hotel but I definitely do not want to see residential at a major tourist attraction.

You do know that condos are being proposed at the west end, right? I don't make this stuff up! I'd be OK with a hotel, so long as the sale of the property goes back into revitalizing and re-imagining Ontario Place.

Same thing is happening around the Billy Bishop (Island) Airport. The airport has been there for decades, but when they try to expand the airport the condo owners and tenants start complaining about the noise. Ditto for Pearson Airport.

Toronto Island Airport was for small craft only until the tripartite agreement was amended in the mid-80's for small commercial aircraft - at a time when little was happening on the waterfront. Several companies failed to make a go of it. To now introduce jets after spending so much on revitalizing the waterfront and with tens of thousands who now live along the flight path is madness, along with many other reasons.

^^ Nothing has been decided, so everything is on the table but I don't think condos will go there. Toronto has so much land, including waterfront land, so why would Ontario Place be all that valuable? (as residential) It would be somewhat isolated for condos. There is nothing even near there except for the CNE grounds and not much else. Where would you go to buy smokes, milk or do your groceries? There are no medical centres, daycare or any other services within walking distance and there isn't even public transit. You need to walk across the whole CNE just to get to a streetcar. (which run infrequently, when there are no CNE events) Everyone here would have to drive, in an area that has serious congestion already, so I don't see it as prime residential land. Why would we not develop the East Bayfront and Portlands first? (not to mention all the under-built and decaying parts of Toronto)

The Liberals know a lot of people will become very angry, if condos go here. There is no need for condos at this specific location. I have spoken with Glen Murray's office many times and they lead me to believe that condos are very unlikely here, so I hope that is the case.

Last edited:
Torontovibe, that's a good point about how car dependent Ontario Place residents would be. It would be a suburban lifestyle. Do we want suburban-style condos on one of the most important waterfront sites we have?

What I read seemed to indicate that midrise condos were pretty much part of the plan there, I'm pleased to be wrong if that's the case.

Kathleen Wynne says no condos at Ontario Place
http://www.thestar.com/news/queensp...en_wynne_vows_no_condos_at_ontario_place.html

Torontovibe, that's a good point about how car dependent Ontario Place residents would be. It would be a suburban lifestyle. Do we want suburban-style condos on one of the most important waterfront sites we have?

Perhaps not as important, but that whole area west of Humber Bridge is like that -- beautiful location, great vistas, but not great transit. Yes, you can get the streetcar on Lake Shore if you head over that way, but the same could be said about Ontario Place -- just cross over the pedestrian bridge and get the streetcar at the Ex.

Last edited:
Wynne's campaign promise to retain Cinesphere and the pods, along with no condos, just sealed the deal for me. If her government holds onto power I'd like to see Ontario Place handed over to Waterfront Toronto to beautify and re-imagine these spaces. Ontario Place can successfully move into the 21st century, given a vision and the political will.

Back