Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

From Dundas West Station, we have to the south the Village of Brockton, to the north we have Seating Village, and to the west is the City of West Toronto. "Junction" sounds appropriate.
I was avoiding the term "Junction" as the Junction-proper is a bit north-west of here. But it could obviously work too.

I was avoiding the term "Junction" as the Junction-proper is a bit north-west of here. But it could obviously work too.

I was playing with the idea, and while it is less than ideal my inclination is to just go with it. It's close enough for a moniker that's as much a descriptor as a neighborhood imo.

If the Relief Line ever went north of Bloor on the western leg, there's a decent possibility it would pass the Junction-proper, including a likely station. That's also behind my preemtive thinking.
Near the Junction ... somewhere near Dundas/St. Clair/Keele I'd think. Which would raise the interesting possibility of terminating the 512 streetcar there.

In a fantasy world, they'd extend 506 up Parkside/Keele and terminate that there as well, and stop the Keele and Weston buses at St. Clair.

Normally when people talk about where they relief line should go next, the thought is always north or up the Weston tracks to Mount Dennis. But what about turning west there on either St. Clair, Dundas, or in between? It's got pretty good density to Jane. Mount Dennis will already be well-served with GO, UP, and the Eglinton line. Perhaps one day it can go west into Mississauga. Meanwhile turn Line 2 north to the Airport via Renforth station. I guess this is in fantasy map territory ... :)

Near the Junction ... somewhere near Dundas/St. Clair/Keele I'd think. Which would raise the interesting possibility of terminating the 512 streetcar there.

In a fantasy world, they'd extend 506 up Parkside/Keele and terminate that there as well, and stop the Keele and Weston buses at St. Clair.

Normally when people talk about where they relief line should go next, the thought is always north or up the Weston tracks to Mount Dennis. But what about turning west there on either St. Clair, Dundas, or in between? It's got pretty good density to Jane. Mount Dennis will already be well-served with GO, UP, and the Eglinton line. Perhaps one day it can go west into Mississauga. Meanwhile turn Line 2 north to the Airport via Renforth station. I guess this is in fantasy map territory ... :)

Anything west of Osgoode Station is still kinda in that realm.

With RER + UPX at Bloor-Dundas offering two options running at metro frequencies to Downtown, along with an option for such users to transfer to the DRL further south I'm surprised so many support this routing. Especially considering Smart Track implies added frequencies south of Mount Dennis, plus the option of adding a stop on the Milton line far in the future.

Politically, I don't see any incentive for such a line. What are we relieving with this alignment, where would future extensions go? A Junction stop would be cute, yes, but from a network perspective? Remember, Dufferin has a problem today.

We have to consider for a minute, what type of city we're trying to build. One with a relatively consistent built form with heavy rail spread out to support large densities, not dense areas surrounded by areas of low densities shuttled to stations I would hope. More importantly, we should be thinking how can we serve the most people in this area far into the future.

With the Dufferin alignment you'd have UPX/RER at Keele/Weston, RER at Lansdowne/Caledonia, DRL at Dufferin, Line 1 at Bathurst/Spadina. Plus the potential to add stations on these routes at a later date if the need arises.This would create a grid of heavy rail lines covering the inner west end with (potential) rail options within walking distance of nearly all the area's residents south of Eglinton.

The only way I see this line going to Dundas West is if the DRL is built as part of the GO network routed under Queen to avoid an overcapacity Union. If not Dufferin, it would be nice to see it go west with a stop near Humber Bay shores offering local stops into the city.

With RER + UPX at Bloor-Dundas offering two options running at metro frequencies to Downtown, along with an option for such users to transfer to the DRL further south I'm surprised so many support this routing. Especially considering Smart Track implies added frequencies south of Mount Dennis, plus the option of adding a stop on the Milton line far in the future.

Politically, I don't see any incentive for such a line. What are we relieving with this alignment, where would future extensions go? A Junction stop would be cute, yes, but from a network perspective? Remember, Dufferin has a problem today.

We have to consider for a minute, what type of city we're trying to build. One with a relatively consistent built form with heavy rail spread out to support large densities, not dense areas surrounded by areas of low densities shuttled to stations I would hope. More importantly, we should be thinking how can we serve the most people in this area far into the future.

With the Dufferin alignment you'd have UPX/RER at Keele/Weston, RER at Lansdowne/Caledonia, DRL at Dufferin, Line 1 at Bathurst/Spadina. Plus the potential to add stations on these routes at a later date if the need arises.This would create a grid of heavy rail lines covering the inner west end with (potential) rail options within walking distance of nearly all the area's residents south of Eglinton.

The only way I see this line going to Dundas West is if the DRL is built as part of the GO network routed under Queen to avoid an overcapacity Union. If not Dufferin, it would be nice to see it go west with a stop near Humber Bay shores offering local stops into the city.
I'm starting to see Dufferin being an option, especially if you show GO lines, Dundas West seems too overcrowded with lines.
Relief Line West - Dufferin with GO.png
Looks even better with a fantasy line.
Relief Line 2 - Bathurst Parliament with GO.png

To be honest, there's so much service already (or will be) north of Dundas West, I have to wonder if one would start canibalizing the other (GO RER, UPX, etc). I doubt we'd see the Relief Line go north of the #2 for a very long time into the future. Perhaps getting it to Eglinton, but even that seems a bit of a stretch.

To be honest, there's so much service already (or will be) north of Dundas West, I have to wonder if one would start canibalizing the other (GO RER, UPX, etc). I doubt we'd see the Relief Line go north of the #2 for a very long time into the future. Perhaps getting it to Eglinton, but even that seems a bit of a stretch.
I disagree. There needs to be a local option that doesn't involve Yonge University or paying $9 for the UPX. It also provides connectivity across the subway system.

Last edited:

Back