Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

As much as I'd like to see the DRL go through Dundas West, I think It should go up Dufferin. Dundas West already has the UPX, Kitchener GO and Line 2. While Roncessvalles and Queen is getting a station on the Lakeshore West line.

No other north-south route in the area has the number of riders or level of service. I think it would help spread the RT out in the area. Though I don't see much need for the line beyond St. Clair, unless it began jogging west. In this scenario the line can jog from Queen to the new Liberty station, stop in Parkdale at Dufferin and Queen, then continue north on Dufferin.

We can already get to Union in 9 mins from Dundas West today.

How about branching RL west?

Or, Dufferin just gets its own subway line, while RL goes to Roncy, up to Dundas West, into the Junction, and then veers north-west?

And from the Roncy/King/Queen station, another rapid transit line going west to Humber Bay Shores, and a branch along the Queensway to Sherway.

As much as I'd like to see the DRL go through Dundas West, I think It should go up Dufferin. Dundas West already has the UPX, Kitchener GO and Line 2. While Roncessvalles and Queen is getting a station on the Lakeshore West line.

No other north-south route in the area has the number of riders or level of service. I think it would help spread the RT out in the area. Though I don't see much need for the line beyond St. Clair, unless it began jogging west. In this scenario the line can jog from Queen to the new Liberty station, stop in Parkdale at Dufferin and Queen, then continue north on Dufferin.

Or, Dufferin just gets its own subway line, while RL goes to Roncy, up to Dundas West, into the Junction, and then veers north-west?

And from the Roncy/King/Queen station, another rapid transit line going west to Humber Bay Shores, and a branch along the Queensway to Sherway.

This is approaching Fantasy Map level discussion, but Dufferin can have it's own subway line south of Bloor, which can veer off to the Barrie line as interline/own tracks/tunnelled under tracks/etc. and south of Queen it can go along Front and King through the core (tunnelling technology will improve in many decades), go up Parliament and use the Midtown corridor to reach Agincourt (GO).
Relief Line 2 Fantasy Map.jpg

I wish we could at least imagine fantasy subway/metro routes that follow desire lines (probably diagonals emanating from the core) unconstrained by the requirement to run under our right-angled street grid, with the invariable 90-degree turns. It’s something a lot of other cities more densely built than Toronto seem to manage.

I'm a fan of branching. I would branch Relief Line West at Queen/Dufferin.

One line going up Dufferin to Sheppard West (connect to Sheppard Line, voila, we have our ring subway).

The second continuing to Sunnyside (Roncesvalles and Queen), followed by Humber Bay Shores, and up to Queensway and terminating at Sherway. We don't need two lines in South Etobicoke, one line with an alignment like this could cover it all:

HumberBayDRL.png

edit: I made this map a while ago. Looking at it, I wonder if a station at Park Lawn and Queensway is needed. It could take some sort of alignment directly from Kraft Bakery Site to Royal York & Queensway. Though, this station does service the fairly decent density residential area to the north along Berry Road. (and of course... should the Ontario Food Terminal ever be partially redeveloped....)

Last edited:

Ive always thought this as well. Dufferin is a super busy route, and the DRL can continue north and then interlined with Line 1 Spadina Line.

This is approaching Fantasy Map level discussion, but Dufferin can have it's own subway line south of Bloor, which can veer off to the Barrie line as interline/own tracks/tunnelled under tracks/etc. and south of Queen it can go along Front and King through the core (tunnelling technology will improve in many decades), go up Parliament and use the Midtown corridor to reach Agincourt (GO).
View attachment 167507
I like the idea of 2 lines through downtown. I likely prefer Keele over Jane.

View attachment 167507

I'd make the pink line an underground RER situation, and the blue line a normal subway. Otherwise the pink line will heavily be competing with the Spadina Line for a relatively small amount of subway ridership. Spadina Line is already pretty sparse as is

I am thinking that makes even more sense to go to Dundas West. It can make it an even more important of a station.

Agreed! I'd also like Dundas West - Bloor GO/UPX to have a new unified name as well. "Western Crossing" or something of similar ilk could work.

1915-AnnexationDates.jpg

From link.

From Dundas West Station, we have to the south the Village of Brockton, to the north we have Seating Village, and to the west is the City of West Toronto. "Junction" sounds appropriate.

Back