Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Another question. Is there a specific name for a 4-way grade-separated rail junction/interchange (potentially at Pape)?
I'd be surprised if they build a new intersection there - I'd think it would be better to build a connection to Greenwood Yard beside or under the GO Transit ROW. Would make operations on Line 2 simpler.

Here's our favourite topic: Moss Park Station is the name of the station at Queen and Sherbourne. Not bad to be honest.

Another question. Is there a specific name for a 4-way grade-separated rail junction/interchange (potentially at Pape)? However, the border of the "Study Area" looks more like a 3-way interchange from the North or East/West instead of south (it's also phallic).

The reason the study area extends north of Pape is because that’s where the station platforms and tail tracks might be.

I hope they rename Queen to City Hall and Carlaw to Queen East.

Please no. I can only assume you're poking fun at Downsview being renamed Sheppard West for the TYSSE.

My hope is that not both Queen Station and Osgoode Station's Relief Line platforms are closer to City Hall than they need to. But I guess we'll find out from the boards at the Public Meetings.

At least they've improved from this:

image.jpg

to this:

downtown-relief-line.jpg

To their most recent iteration:
upload_2018-4-17_14-21-57.png

(I can't find photos of the Queen/University station box and I would really appreciate if anyone has them, but I think it also involves the station box exiting at NPS)

Eventually they might realize that not everyone wants to get to City Hall and might put the station boxes somewhere that makes transferring easier. I think there might be a subconscious bias here that the planners happen to work at City Hall and assume that everyone else wants to go there too.

I mean, why is it that every rapid transit line interchange we build has Bloor-Yonge as their inspiration? Cedarvale, Yonge-Eglinton, and now Queen and Osgoode stations all seem to be designed to make passenger flow as much of a bottleneck as possible.

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-17_14-21-57.png
    upload_2018-4-17_14-21-57.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 670
Seems like Queen and Osgoode Stations are going to have the shortest stop spacing distance from each other in the whole system, beating out Osgoode's current close relative distance from St Andrew Stn. of approximately 300 metres.

Seems like Queen and Osgoode Stations are going to have the shortest stop spacing distance from each other in the whole system, beating out Osgoode's current close relative distance from St Andrew Stn. of approximately 300 metres.
Begs the question of why we need 2 separate stations. Build 1 "city hall" station, make it connect to BOTH Osgoode and Queen.

Please no. I can only assume you're poking fun at Downsview being renamed Sheppard West for the TYSSE.

Eglinton West is getting renamed to Cedarvale, so there is Precedent for a interchange getting renamed. And also the station locations are preliminary - Osgoode at the very least is going to be + if there is roomed to do this.

At least they've improved from this:

image.jpg

to this:

downtown-relief-line.jpg

To their most recent iteration:
View attachment 140363

(I can't find photos of the Queen/University station box and I would really appreciate if anyone has them, but I think it also involves the station box exiting at NPS)

Eventually they might realize that not everyone wants to get to City Hall and might put the station boxes somewhere that makes transferring easier. I think there might be a subconscious bias here that the planners happen to work at City Hall and assume that everyone else wants to go there too.

I mean, why is it that every rapid transit line interchange we build has Bloor-Yonge as their inspiration? Cedarvale, Yonge-Eglinton, and now Queen and Osgoode stations all seem to be designed to make passenger flow as much of a bottleneck as possible.
That's some scarily good progression in conceptual plans, but if a subway connection to City Hall is such a big priority, then connection Osgoode Station and Queens Station by a PATH tunnel that intersects with the current N-S PATH connection. And if bottlenecks are wanted are wanted, :D, then have them be skewed to the opposite directions, Queen to the east and Osgoode to the west, increase the station spacing.

Last edited:
Just a follow up:

What's causing all the trouble at Yonge/Bloor, which is the raison d'être of the DRL, is the T-junction between the Bloor and Yonge lines.

The same problem exists at Eglinton, so the Yonge subway platform was supposed to be shifted north to improve passenger flow.

201311_eglintonstn_appc.jpg

But then they came out with the station designs, which end up leaving the issues unaddressed.
upload_2018-4-17_15-0-28.png

Right now the station boxes for Osgoode and Queen stations are both inside the "U" of line 1, with the boxes just touching the line 1 stations. This is dumb because:
  1. It makes for an awkward interchange with both the Yonge and University lines. While this won't be as big an interchange as Yonge-Bloor, there is no reason we should design a brand new line from scratch to have awkward connections.
  2. It means that there is only 200 meters between the exit of one station and the entrance of another, which is ridiculous for an expensive, deep bore transit line.
  3. It provides very close coverage for such a small area (4 stations surrounding city hall), when there are massive gaps between the line 1 connection stations and the next downtown DRL stations east (Sherbourne is 840 meters away) and west (Spadina is 830 metres away)
  4. It defeats the entire point of having the line on Queen. If we aren't going to have overlapping station boxes for a direct connection, then we might as well just build on Richmond or Adelaide and provide better coverage without disrupting the second busiest surface transit line in Toronto during construction.
Here is how the city currently has the boxes:
station_box_placement_city.png

And here is how I would do it:

station_box_placement_improved.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-17_15-0-28.png
    upload_2018-4-17_15-0-28.png
    161.8 KB · Views: 433
  • station_box_placement_city.png
    station_box_placement_city.png
    626.8 KB · Views: 480
  • station_box_placement_improved.png