Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Cobra is in Scarborough and I am not trying to insult the whole area but it sure seems that the people there seem to hope for the very best in the new leader and think the very worst of the current one.
Sheppard & Don Mills is North York, not Scarborough
Second, that's a lot of assumption out of nothing

It doesn't matter how bad the reputation of Ford is as long as he is coming they are hoping that suddenly he will change his ways.
Where' you getting all that stuff from my post? It's a logical claim that no parties can afford promising transit cuts

That didn't turn out for Rob supporters or Trump supporters but perhaps this will be the one time as soon as someone gets into office that they will suddenly become a different person.
Didn't I just said that I expect him to gut environment policies, public service and social programs?

I tend to think the past is the best indicator of the future but what do I know.
Hence my "gutting public service comment".

Don't put stuff in other people's mouth. That's rude

gutting transit is the easiest way to do things to keep taxes low. It is a huge expense. Even though i think most here think its needed Im wagering that he will think its expendable. The truth is we are all guessing. I am just using the past as an indicator of the future. I apologize, congrats on living in north york.

The Victoria Park route is an interesting idea ... likely the cheapest due to no don valley crossing. Also nice to see the study area does not stop at Shepherd. It really needs to go to Finch to service Seneca College. It'll also be interesting to see how Bus connections will work.

gutting transit is the easiest way to do things to keep taxes low. It is a huge expense. Even though i think most here think its needed Im wagering that he will think its expendable. The truth is we are all guessing. I am just using the past as an indicator of the future. I apologize, congrats on living in north york.

This is why when some politician says they are cutting taxes and increasing spending I always want to ask "WHY?"

Ford will definitely kill the DRL. he has NOTHING to gain by it going ahead but he has a LOT to gain from bringing RER up to subway standards. He could do this for the entire RER section at a fraction of the DRL. Hell, Sheppard LRTs cancellation would be enough to bring RER up to subway standards as much of it is already Metro standard save electrification such as the entire UPX.

By cancelling the DRL and Sheppard LRT he would save $7 billion and it would only cost about a billion to bring RER up to subway/Metro standards especially the Lakeshore, Kitchener, and Unionville lines. He could probably get away with not bringing subway standards to the RER Barrie as they just got the Spadina extension and he could state it would be a waste as the Yonge line will eventually head north into York region. By doing this he would be savings billions and a lot of time and he could have subways, subways, subways to the suburbs before his next re-election bid.

Ford will definitely kill the DRL. he has NOTHING to gain by it going ahead but he has a LOT to gain from bringing RER up to subway standards. He could do this for the entire RER section at a fraction of the DRL. Hell, Sheppard LRTs cancellation would be enough to bring RER up to subway standards as much of it is already Metro standard save electrification such as the entire UPX.

By cancelling the DRL and Sheppard LRT he would save $7 billion and it would only cost about a billion to bring RER up to subway/Metro standards especially the Lakeshore, Kitchener, and Unionville lines. He could probably get away with not bringing subway standards to the RER Barrie as they just got the Spadina extension and he could state it would be a waste as the Yonge line will eventually head north into York region. By doing this he would be savings billions and a lot of time and he could have subways, subways, subways to the suburbs before his next re-election bid.

He may suggest RER but it is obvious that RER is not a substitute for the DRL and the imminent over capacity concerns at Yonge & Bloor.

There is too much public awareness of the pressing need to relieve the Yonge line. He would risk alienating a large block of voters both in Toronto and north along Yonge into Richmond Hill and Markham if he cancels the DRL.

Maybe there is too much awareness that RER won't do the job by transit advocates on urban toronto and stevemunro.ca butgenerally do people know this to betrue? If they did then how didtory get elected on smarttrack?
He may suggest RER but it is obvious that RER is not a substitute for the DRL and the imminent over capacity concerns at Yonge & Bloor.

There is too much public awareness of the pressing need to relieve the Yonge line. He would risk alienating a large block of voters both in Toronto and north along Yonge into Richmond Hill and Markham if he cancels the DRL.

The Relief line is not dead if Ford gets it... His brother was "Subways, Subways, Subways " The DRL is a subway.

The LRT lines are in jeopardy precisely because of that, but I doubt any subway is going to get cancelled. Even the 1 stop Scarborough extension would be a go.

Ford will definitely kill the DRL.
I think he'll do less damage to DRL plans than Rob Ford did to Transit City.

Strategically delay, budgetting bump to future years, but outright cancellation, I don't think so. Federal/Municipal may for example tie Scaroborough and RER to DRL. We need both metro-style RER and also DRL, given the Ports Lands mega developments over the next couple of decades.

Surprisingly, I did hear that Rob Ford is selectively pro-LRT.

I heard from other contacts he supports the Hamilton LRT.

Not my preferred premier obviously, ugh, but whatever our next mayor might be, will be the bigger LRT showstopper.

Last edited:

Is there? I think we're overestimating the public's transit knowledge and underestimating the desire to get rid of the Liberals.

Ford can very easily spin the DRL as a waste of money, something the Liberals would do.

"Folks, I've run a successful business for decades. Tell me, does it make sense to spend billions on a subway for the downtown elites, when we could upgrade the GO system for a fraction of the cost and help everybody? Folks, it's time to use some common sense and stop wasting taxpayer dollars."

Plenty of people would buy it, especially in his base.

"Folks, I've run a successful business for decades. Tell me, does it make sense to spend billions on a subway for the downtown elites, when we could upgrade the GO system for a fraction of the cost and help everybody? Folks, it's time to use some common sense and stop wasting taxpayer dollars."

Well, the Relief Line is not benefitting the downtown elites. It's benefitting people from the suburban base who have to squeeze on Line 1 to get downtown everyday. The congestion is self-evident and no one can explain it away as a downtown thing. So I don't think anyone can naysay it unless they can suggest an alternative. Ford would have to declare a full commitment to RER and ST to maintain that the alternative will emerge.

Not saying he won't try, but it's an argument that could cost more votes than it wins, and RER/ST has to come with it.

- Paul

Well, the Relief Line is not benefitting the downtown elites. It's benefitting people from the suburban base who have to squeeze on Line 1 to get downtown everyday. The congestion is self-evident and no one can explain it away as a downtown thing. So I don't think anyone can naysay it unless they can suggest an alternative. Ford would have to declare a full commitment to RER and ST to maintain that the alternative will emerge.

Not saying he won't try, but it's an argument that could cost more votes than it wins, and RER/ST has to come with it.

- Paul

Of course it's not. But we're talking perception vs reality. The Fords are great at keeping things simple.

Getting into the details won't really matter to a lot of people. All they'll hear is that he has a cheaper, more sensible plan that helps everyone and that'll be that.

The SSE is a perfect example of keeping a simple message in place to implement a plan that's inferior to the previous LRT plan in almost every way. What was the message? "SUBWAYS SUBWAYS SUBWAYS". "Scarborough deserves subways". "Downtown already has enough subways".

Done.

- Paul

The problem is that Doug Ford (as was his brother Rob) don't use public transit, except for a photo op. He'll support the relief line, as long as he doesn't see it or get in his way as he drives his gas guzzler around town.

John Tory does, thankfully, take the subway almost daily to get to and from city hall.

Back