Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

I thought they were just making the station nice?

The construction at Vincent Yard - between Keele and Dundas West Stations - is to allow for the storage of 8 trains. This, in concert with a small expansion at Greenwood Yard and a new spare track at Kipling, will allow for all of the T1s to be stored on the B-D.

Or at least it would have until they decided to revamp the signalling system and prevent the use of T1s on Sheppard.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

They need to reopen keele or extend the bloor danforth to Cloverdale and open a yard on the wal mart site. Open a yard in Scarborough as well.

Open a yard on the walmart site? Instead of creating a new yard there they could purchase the Obico yard from CP, which is for sale. At least that's what Steve Munro thinks. Then you could free up Greenwood yard for DRL trains.

If anyone wants a quick refresher about what the TTC said about a Sheppard West ext (from this report):

Option A6 ñ A 4.5 kilometre westerly extension from Yonge Street to Allen Road (with stations at Bathurst and Downsview) was identified initially but was screened from further consideration for the following reasons (see Exhibit ES-11):
•As Downsview Station is already served by the Spadina Subway line, only one additional station is possible (Bathurst) and this station has only limited development potential.
•Demand for rapid transit is considerably higher east of Yonge Street in comparison to west of Yonge Street. The growth of the North York City Centre does not depend on a westerly extension of the Sheppard Subway line and consequently a westerly extension is considered lower priority in comparison to further easterly extensions.
•The high capital cost of such an extension is not matched by high ridership or re-development potential.
•Population and employment growth in the corridor is projected to be low.
•Densities in the area are projected to be below the threshold for implementation of rapid transit.
•The opportunities for feeder bus savings and commuter parking potential are considered to be low. While there would be some strategic benefit in terms of encouraging Sheppard Subway riders to utilize the Spadina Subway line (rather the Yonge Subway line) to access the downtown core and in providing additional network connectivity for a variety of trip origins and destinations, a westerly extension of the Sheppard Subway is not considered a high priority in the short to medium term. Consequently, Option A6 was screened from further consideration.
Sheppard-west-ext.jpg

One thing I was looking for in particular with this report was info on how the West Don would be crossed at Bathurst. I can't seem to find any info, but it seems obvious that the only answer is a bridge. And if I'm led to believe what many posters have written about the impossibility of building any elevated structure for subways, then it should be obvious a Sheppard West ext is out of the question.

Attachments

• Sheppard-west-ext.jpg
    Sheppard-west-ext.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 608
If anyone wants a quick refresher about what the TTC said about a Sheppard West ext (from this report):

The RTES is a fascinating read, thanks for providing that. It's interesting how many of those came to pass (I had no idea the Vaughn extension had been in the works for so long).

The vaughan extension (or rather, the York University Extension) has been on the books in varying forms since the 1980's. The 1996 extension to Downsview was originally planned to be the first portion of the line.

The point of a Sheppard West extension would be to see if the extension cost and expansion of Wilson outweighed the cost of a brand new yard.

The current Wilson yard expansion is a $260m project, and considering the location and relative ease of construction, that is likely a fair "basic price" for that type of work. A brand new yard would be multiple orders of magnitude more than that, and there aren't many locations along the DRL route that would be as simple.

From what I know, it doesn't sound like DRL-Long would be able to co-exist with Bloor-Danforth at Greenwood.

Another option was previously mentioned, and it is a good one IMO. Purchase Obico Yard and shift BD trains to it. DRL-Long trains would takeover Greenwood. Even that likely has a huge cost, and I'm not sure if it has ever been fully studied.

The 1996 extension to Downsview was originally planned to be the first portion of the line.
My recollection is that they couldn't decide whether to go to York University, or to go straight north, or build a loop line. But all the plans went to Downsview, so they started that, while they could figure out what to do next. Only took 21 years ...

One thing I was looking for in particular with this report was info on how the West Don would be crossed at Bathurst. I can't seem to find any info, but it seems obvious that the only answer is a bridge. And if I'm led to believe what many posters have written about the impossibility of building any elevated structure for subways, then it should be obvious a Sheppard West ext is out of the question.

They probably hadn't decided on how the line would cross the West Don because they'd never done any engineering on the line. You don't waste time on small details if the big picture isn't set yet.

As for "the impossibility of building any elevated structure for subways", don't be preposterous. When the subway gets extended north on Yonge how do you think the line will cross the East Don?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Why is an elevated structure out of the question for crossing the West Don? The Sheppard Line had no problem building an elevated structure to cross the East Don, just east of Leslie station. I'd assume they'd have done something similar if they'd had gone west.

They probably hadn't decided on how the line would cross the West Don because they'd never done any engineering on the line. You don't waste time on small details if the big picture isn't set yet.

As for "the impossibility of building any elevated structure for subways", don't be preposterous. When the subway gets extended north on Yonge how do you think the line will cross the East Don?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

One reason I was surprised the valley crossing wasn't mentioned in that report is that I feel it is a bit of a big deal. Nimby-wise, not really engineering. And I don't believe that it's impossible to build bridges for subways, I was more loosely quoting an amalgam of various posters I've conversed with over the months (and yesterday on the SRT thread with a poster that mentioned inflatable slides for evacuation). But you are correct that the East Don will be crossed with a bridge for Yonge North.

Why is an elevated structure out of the question for crossing the West Don? The Sheppard Line had no problem building an elevated structure to cross the East Don, just east of Leslie station. I'd assume they'd have done something similar if they'd had gone west.

I guess I consider the two to be different. As smallspy mentioned, there was no engineering done for how the valley would be crossed at Earl Bales, but I was under the impression the structure would be much higher and longer than what's found outside Leslie station on Sheppard East. That's a very low level bridge, it's short, and it's completely encased in concrete - not for noise reduction, but because the thing is under water during storms.

That's a very low level bridge, it's short, and it's completely encased in concrete - not for noise reduction, but because the thing is under water during storms.
I'm pretty sure I've seen some discussion of the West Don structure in 1980s or 1990s documents. Perhaps even in the Toronto Star reports back then.

There's other enclosed structures - what about the Bloor line bridge over Rosedale Valley Road, east of Sherbourne station (the one that used to have skylights)? Hopefully your not going to tell me that's under water during storms! :)

Back