Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

West bound BD during PM peak hours is more like "half full" - I often can grab a seat connecting at Bloor/Yonge, and it is never too crowded.
That's because the peak-point is eastbound from Bloor. It's crush loading some days, and certainly no seats for anyone!

Would you want them perhaps to short-turn 50% of trains at Yonge?

If the DRL reduces the BD ridership at Yonge as much as forceast, then the west and east would be better balanced in the future, and they could run trains a bit less frequently.

So I was just thinking, if we pursue a DRL-Long, wouldn't it make a lot of sense to extend it one stop after Sheppard at Finch and Don Mills?

Development potential, relieves Yonge line more from Finch East riders, access to Seneca College's Newnham Campus.

Probably wouldn't hurt at all - good cluster of condos/apartments/plaza with redevelopable space, Seneca, busy Finch Ave bus. It may enhance the relief function even more (though I don't know whether the Metrolinx modelling assumes a portion of the riders to Line 1 Finch Station will switch to Sheppard with DRL).

AoD

Last edited:
So I was just thinking, if we pursue a DRL-Long, wouldn't it make a lot of sense to extend it one stop after Sheppard at Finch and Don Mills?

Development potential, relieves Yonge line more from Finch East riders, access to Seneca College's Newnham Campus.

The price of extending to Finch would have to be weighted against the benefits of relieving Yonge. DRL LONG to Sheppard already substantially relieves Yonge. I don't think further relief would be a worthwhile goal.

The Finch East busses could travel south on Don Mills from Finch to Sheppard to get to the DRL.

However an extension to Finch would allow us the opportunity to open Peanut Station. :)

The price of extending to Finch would have to be weighted against the benefits of relieving Yonge. DRL LONG to Sheppard already substantially relieves Yonge. I don't think further relief would be a worthwhile goal.

The Finch East busses could travel south on Don Mills from Finch to Sheppard to get to the DRL.

However an extension to Finch would allow us the opportunity to open Peanut Station. :)

I think everything that maximizes the relief on Line 1 is worthwhile.

AoD

The Big Move (yes, I will always refer back to it) calls for an LRT or BRT corridor north from Pape, through Thorncliffe Park, and then up Don Mills all the way to Highway 7. The Yonge Relief Study has now given us evidence that going with a subway to at least Sheppard makes sense (perhaps paving the way to a revision to The Big Move).

North of there, I'd like to see more analysis. There is no other rapid transit links at Finch; the LRT would end at Finch-Yonge, so there are no network benefit arguments there. Perhaps DRL-Long to Sheppard would be sufficient, with LRT or BRT between Sheppard and Highway 7.

upload_2015-7-22_14-26-28.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-7-22_14-26-28.png
    upload_2015-7-22_14-26-28.png
    537.2 KB · Views: 406
They don't even need to run a subway north to sheppard. Given the traffic light spacing on Don Mills, and the amount of width the road has north of Oconnor, we can easily run a LRT down the middle lane like plans on Eglinton.

They don't even need to run a subway north to sheppard. Given the traffic light spacing on Don Mills, and the amount of width the road has north of Oconnor, we can easily run a LRT down the middle lane like plans on Eglinton.

That would pretty much preclude any relief coming from the line.

The Big Move (yes, I will always refer back to it) calls for an LRT or BRT corridor north from Pape, through Thorncliffe Park, and then up Don Mills all the way to Highway 7. The Yonge Relief Study has now given us evidence that going with a subway to at least Sheppard makes sense (perhaps paving the way to a revision to The Big Move).

I think this is correct. Transit City Phase II is pretty much dead, and the Miller/Giambrone Don Mills LRT idea of yesteryear is not being pursued by Metrolinx or the Prov anymore. This became especially apparent when it was noted in the recent YRNS that any LRT idea through this area will be entirely grade-separated south of Sheppard (except downtown). Compared with the TC DMLRT which was mostly (or entirely) an in-median setup, I think its safe to say the Big Move has seen Big changes.

That would pretty much preclude any relief coming from the line.

I get that there is lots of space on Don Mills, it is a shame we can't use it to make a cheap LRT. But to emphasize, this is what YRNS concluded; LRT will not provide enough relief.

With no buses, maybe they can pair DRL-Long with a sort of 'Don Mills Connects' project, and utilize space for bike lanes and pedestrian space?

With no buses, maybe they can pair DRL-Long with a sort of 'Don Mills Connects' project, and utilize space for bike lanes and pedestrian space?

That wouldn't be a bad idea, especially considering the redevelopment potential at various nodes.stations. The area at Don Mills/Lawrence, bounded by Donway is practically begging for more aggressive densification.

AoD

Another benefit of committing to the DRL long version is that there are sites around Thorncliffe Park that could work well for a subway yard, including in the hydro corridor to the south of the CP tracks as well as the light industrial area to the north of the tracks.

A DRL where only the section south of Danforth was built would face challenges for finding a good yard site.

(Of course, the DRL long could still be built in phases. It's just that the phase containing the yard needs to be built first.)

Back