Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

The study needs to be complete. The Northern section study may begin long before construction begins.

I would love to have a firm date on when we can expect a study for the northern section. Hopefully as soon as the current study is complete. This isn't the 13km Relief Line Metrolinx said they were building.

Metrolinx seems to want to (rightly) fund the western portion before going to Eglinton. (Also probably why the people designing Eglinton were hesitant to account for a possible DRL connection at don mills) all of their big move maps has that phase on it and not the northern portion.

That said the study for the second phase will likely come as soon as Metrolinx gets funding for the big move, meaning that it may only be a few months behind this EA.

It also looks like we are still a year or so off from getting a route nailed down, It's still completely preliminary.

I am a bit peeved that Don Mills station on Eglinton won't be accommodating future DRL needs. It is shortsighted and feels like we will be spending millions of dollars renovating that station immediately after the Crosstown's opening.

I am a bit peeved that Don Mills station on Eglinton won't be accommodating future DRL needs. It is shortsighted and feels like we will be spending millions of dollars renovating that station immediately after the Crosstown's opening.

I agree with this. Even if Metrolinx wants to fund the western portion before going to Eglinton, would it not be smarter to build the Don Mills station on Eglinton in a way that accommodates the DRL, to save money in the long run?

The problem is that they have no way of knowing what the DRL station will look like. Beyond maybe avoiding to place utilities below the station (unlikely to occur anyway), there isn't much you can do if you have no idea what the line will look like.

Are we sure they aren't? Just wondering where you got the info. Is Don Mills station underground because of the future DRL connection, or is because of traffic reasons?

Interchange stations are built after the fact without previous provisions: Yonge-Bloor, Yonge-Sheppard, and the future Yonge-Eglinton and Eg West stations are all interchange stations built after the fact, I believe.

Are we sure they aren't? Just wondering where you got the info. Is Don Mills station underground because of the future DRL connection, or is because of traffic reasons?

Interchange stations are built after the fact without previous provisions: Yonge-Bloor, Yonge-Sheppard, and the future Yonge-Eglinton and Eg West stations are all interchange stations built after the fact, I believe.

The underground Don Mills station was a part of the original TTC EA. If I remember the EA, the rationale for the station being underground was the high traffic, and the Don Mills LRT terminating there.

It will probably be 10-15 years at minimum before it reaches Eglinton, if not more.

Ok, but the EA for that the phase 2 will hopefully be starting or well underway by the time Eglinton opens.

The problem is that they have no way of knowing what the DRL station will look like. Beyond maybe avoiding to place utilities below the station (unlikely to occur anyway), there isn't much you can do if you have no idea what the line will look like.

This is true. We don't even know what type of technology the DRL will be using.

But here is a (possibly unrealistic) suggestion then: Why don't we include the pocket around Don Mills & Eglinton in the DRL Phase 1 Environmental Assessment? Start preliminary planning for that interchange today alongside with the Phase 1 portion of the line.

Granted it may be way too late to impact the Don Mills station to be built for the Crosstown.

As far as I am aware they aren't. Maybe they are ensuring they move some utilities out of the way in anticipation like insertnamehere said.

I don't know where to find the EA online but I bet Don Mills is underground due to the traffic at the intersection. For most hours of the day, 7 days a week that intersection is filled with a backlog of cars from all 4 sides. I do my grocery shopping in Scarborough (yay for cheaper supermarkets!)and I often have to wait for two light cycles at the intersection before passing through it on the weekends. I dread to know what it is like at rush hour.

Yes but that doesn't mean we should be shortsighted and not be planning long-term. Designing the station properly now will save us money in the long run.

When Yonge-Sheppard was remodeled for the Sheppard Line, they build a west-wards tunnel to accommodate a future Sheppard West extension.

I really hope Phase 1 at least goes to Spadina, even though in the image on the site it shows the study area only going to University.
How can phase 1 go to Spadina? I thought the western portion would at some point get to Dundas West on Bloor and eventually to Weston Rd on Eglinton.

The only reason the tunnel got built significantly further west of Sheppard Yonge is for train storage. There would be absolutely no reason to do so otherwise, and it is the same reason tail tracks are being built on the Spadina extension, for train storage.

Again, Phase 2 will likely be the western portion given how it relieves Yonge equally as the northern extension and has higher side benefits such as higher overall ridership and improving movement through the downtown core.

Last edited:
I don't know where to find the EA online but I bet Don Mills is underground due to the traffic at the intersection. For most hours of the day, 7 days a week that intersection is filled with a backlog of cars from all 4 sides. I do my grocery shopping in Scarborough (yay for cheaper supermarkets!)and I often have to wait for two light cycles at the intersection before passing through it on the weekends. I dread to know what it is like at rush hour.

EA is here http://thecrosstown.ca/the-project/reports/EglintonCrosstownLRTEnvironmentalProjectReport

It must be way cheaper considering you live next to a Metro :). That drive is about to get much worse for you though due to the east TBM launch site.

Yes but that doesn't mean we should be shortsighted and not be planning long-term. Designing the station properly now will save us money in the long run.

When Yonge-Sheppard was remodeled for the Sheppard Line, they build a west-wards tunnel to accommodate a future Sheppard West extension.

Yeah but it seems like it's just too early with respect to the DRL at this point.

How can phase 1 go to Spadina? I thought the western portion would at some point get to Dundas West on Bloor and eventually to Weston Rd on Eglinton.

I don't really understand what you're asking here, sorry. I meant that I hope that instead of just stoping at University I hope it goes west until Spadina at least.

The only reason the tunnel got built significantly further west of Sheppard Yonge is for train storage. There would be absolutely no reason to do so otherwise, and it is the same reason tail tracks are being built on the Spadina extension, for train storage.

Again, Phase 2 will likely be the western portion given how it relieves Yonge equally as the northern extension and has higher side benefits such as higher overall ridership and improving movement through the downtown core.

West being Phase 2 and North being phase 3 is totally fine with me. If West is built then it will greatly help east-west travel downtown and relieve the streetcars.

Back