Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

given how construction periods work, It should just open all at once.

it takes generally just as long to build if it is 13km long or 7km long.

It should be continuous building with different opening phases.

Building code has different requirements for terminal stations than line stations (they're minor, but enough to be a pain). Don't expect different opening phases for any fully funded project.

Building code has different requirements for terminal stations than line stations (they're minor, but enough to be a pain). Don't expect different opening phases for any fully funded project.

How do the building codes differ?

The requirement for public bathrooms in the fare-paid area. There are possibly other differences but I'm not familiar enough with it to name them.

They could plan it out and arrange for staged openings but if it's fully funded and only a couple of years, why bother. Combining contracts for signalling installation will save more than stopping the buses a little early anyway.

Last edited:

If the terminal station is also an interchange station, would a lot of the requirements (washrooms was given as an example) be required, or at least desired, anyway? I can definitely see your point for a station that would be hanging off the end of the line, like a Finch or a Kipling, but most of the predicted terminus points (temporary or permanent) are at intersections with other lines.

if a phase one is built I would prefer it go to Spadina rather than just Yonge or University. I would still rather the whole line of course however.

If the terminal station is also an interchange station, would a lot of the requirements (washrooms was given as an example) be required, or at least desired, anyway? I can definitely see your point for a station that would be hanging off the end of the line, like a Finch or a Kipling, but most of the predicted terminus points (temporary or permanent) are at intersections with other lines.
...and yet, St. George station does not have public washrooms, despite being the terminal station from 1963 to 1978 (with a short time not being terminal station in 1966 during the interlining experiment), as well as it being an interchange station since 1966.

Sure Bloor-Yonge station nearby has washrooms, but St. George is the second busiest station in Toronto and the YUS line does not have washrooms from Yorkdale to Wellesley and the washrooms at Bloor-Yonge station are very much crowded.

Oh, and when the Eglinton Crosstown LRT is open, Eglinton West station should have washrooms.

Last edited:

I believe the terminal station requirements apply for both ends of a single line, interchange or not. I don't believe Sheppard-Yonge had washrooms prior to the Sheppard line opening. With Finch and Eglinton (former terminal) so close they're not really required, so I assume building code required them to be there.

Also, building code is quite fluid for metro lines in Ontario, and receives changes after every single project is complete. I have no doubt that when Spadina opens, code will change the following year.

Last edited:
if a phase one is built I would prefer it go to Spadina rather than just Yonge or University. I would still rather the whole line of course however.

Agreed. Spadina is a logical interim terminus.

Yes. I believe the terminal station requirements apply for both ends of a single line. I don't believe Sheppard-Yonge had washrooms prior to the Sheppard line opening. With Finch and Eglinton (former terminal) so close they're not really required, so I assume building code required them to be there.

That would certainly make sense. I would assume that Pape/Donlands would get washrooms as well when the DRL is routed through there. Eglinton-Don Mills would need to have washrooms added probably, because from what I've seen the LRT station being built there is pretty bare bones.

Well it's good he sees it as a priority project but talk is cheap and subways aren't.

Unless he has a clear route {god knows Toronto doesn't need another DRL report}, a clear timeline, how it will be paid for, and exactly when it will begin construction and operation it's just another political announcement.

Unless he has a clear route {god knows Toronto doesn't need another DRL report}, a clear timeline, how it will be paid for, and exactly when it will begin construction and operation it's just another political announcement.
Tory rattling off specifics would mean little since the DRL can't be built without heavy provincial input. The fact he's making it his #1 transit priority is enough for now.

Well it's good he sees it as a priority project but talk is cheap and subways aren't.

Considering the route is tied to the result of the EA - which I don't believe that Tory is paying for out-of-pocket - how would he be expected to know the final route?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

John Tory has said that he's planning to keep taxes low... I'm assuming that means no additional transit from him. Just whatever Metrolinx is building.

I would definitely like to hear more specifics on how he plans to find the money. He's not ignorant of the transit world, so I would hope for an intelligent response.

Back