Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

And it was long expected to be the other way around. Hopefully they re-assign the number 3 to a new line or give it to Sheppard.

And it was long expected to be the other way around. Hopefully they re-assign the number 3 to a new line or give it to Sheppard.

For such a minor change, I would think it would be worthwhile to number N-S routes with odd numbers, and E-W routes with even numbers. That would mean the DRL would assume #3, and Eglinton would be #6. Just so much more intuitive to have numbering based on geographic points as opposed to sequence of opening.

For such a minor change, I would think it would be worthwhile to number N-S routes with odd numbers, and E-W routes with even numbers. That would mean the DRL would assume #3, and Eglinton would be #6. Just so much more intuitive to have numbering based on geographic points as opposed to sequence of opening.
I don't thnk so. If the Downtown to Eglinton - Don Mills Station alignment is chosen or when the Relief Line has an extension on Don Mills north to Sheppard it definitely won't be a longitudinal line.

I don't thnk so. If the Downtown to Eglinton - Don Mills Station alignment is chosen or when the Relief Line has an extension on Don Mills north to Sheppard it definitely won't be a longitudinal line.

It would be a N-S line, so having it be #3 would be appropriate.

Of course we'll get funding. You don't deny a growing city money for the infrastructure it needs to function properly.

Government's haven't had issues doing so in the past. Why would this time be any different?

I'm actually worried that opposing transit taxes will get them votes. Many people vote for lower taxes no matter what, and many Ontarians can't picture themselves ever using transit. I hope I'm wrong though, hopefully at least the GTA will support transit taxes.

It's not that they don't see themselves using transit. They just don't want to pay for it. I hear it from family and friends all the time, whenever this topic is brought up. I'm a proponent of better transit and I'm willing to pay more. But I'll always hear about how "we pay so muhc in taxes and transit fares already", so why can't government "just find the money"? It's maddening and illogical to me. But the attitude prevails.

This is why I think the MO2020 was the right idea. Show them what improvements can be made. Then get them to grudgingly pay more. But I fear that not enough has be done to show improvements. Especially in the 416. And the LRTs won't be enough either. Should have gone for GO REX first. Knock back tons of commutes by 20-30 minutes. Then get all kinds of money for LRTs and subways.

Government's haven't had issues doing so in the past. Why would this time be any different?

It's not that they don't see themselves using transit. They just don't want to pay for it. I hear it from family and friends all the time, whenever this topic is brought up. I'm a proponent of better transit and I'm willing to pay more. But I'll always hear about how "we pay so muhc in taxes and transit fares already", so why can't government "just find the money"? It's maddening and illogical to me. But the attitude prevails.

This is why I think the MO2020 was the right idea. Show them what improvements can be made. Then get them to grudgingly pay more. But I fear that not enough has be done to show improvements. Especially in the 416. And the LRTs won't be enough either. Should have gone for GO REX first. Knock back tons of commutes by 20-30 minutes. Then get all kinds of money for LRTs and subways.

Outside the GTA and Ottawa though, most Ontarians don't use transit. In smaller towns, transit is mainly for those who can't drive. Even in places like York region or Mississauga, transit share is much smaller than Toronto. Although, they may respond to improving GO transit.

Outside the GTA and Ottawa though, most Ontarians don't use transit. In smaller towns, transit is mainly for those who can't drive. Even in places like York region or Mississauga, transit share is much smaller than Toronto. Although, they may respond to improving GO transit.

Gasoline prices going up 1.1¢ Thursday, to $1.325. People need an alternative to the automobile. We don't all have an inheritance or family business to fuel our cars, like some. We need to plan and build all kinds of rapid transit now, not when we wake up some morning and find out it too late.

If the HST hike was implemented Province-wide, I think a lot of communities wouldn't mind if they were offered the choice between transit expansion and highway expansion. Most urban municipalities would probably choose transit, but I can see places like Trenton and Belleville (or more accurately Quinte West) saying "you know what, we'd like to have the widening of the 401 to 6 lanes between our two cities bumped up the priority list". Over a period of 5 or 6 years, they would probably sock away enough money from that hike to make it a reality.

Same would go for northern communities too. Even Renfrew County I would imagine would love to fast-track the twinning of Highway 17 through much of Renfrew County. Let the highest tier government in the area decide what to do with their % of the money.

Gasoline prices going up 1.1¢ Thursday, to $1.325. People need an alternative to the automobile. We don't all have an inheritance or family business to fuel our cars, like some. We need to plan and build all kinds of rapid transit now, not when we wake up some morning and find out it too late.

I totally agree. I'm just saying why I'm worried that transit support isn't necessarily very widespread outside major cities.

Gas prices are obviously going to continue to rise in the long term, which will make cities & neighbourhoods with decent public transit more desirable. But currently gas prices don't seem so high that the average small-town Ontarian has switched to riding the bus. That's the impression I have anyways. Even within the GTA we still have a huge amount of people driving only and never taking transit.

gas prices even at $2 result in a lot of people driving. Europe is at $2.50 and plenty still drive.

$1.30 is roughly $4.50 a gallon, expensive, but not horribly so.

gas prices even at $2 result in a lot of people driving. Europe is at $2.50 and plenty still drive.

$1.30 is roughly $4.50 a gallon, expensive, but not horribly so.

I am sceptical that gas prices will make any difference. My next car will be a hybrid if not all electric.. I wont care about gas prices... Put tolls everywhere and then I start thinking differently.

well thats a positive, we are now encouraging people to buy hybrid cars!

I know one of the requirements when I was buying my car was that I wanted a hybrid. Partly for environmental reasons, partly for economic reasons. I'm hoping that by the time I buy my next car, there will be more options for electric vehicles with extended range (like the Volt). I suspect that I'm not the only one with that line of thinking.

Back