Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

they had interurbans running all the way to Hamilton
There was a gap between Port Credit where the Lakeshore ended and Oakville where the Hamilton lines (which never had TTC involvement) picked up.

Similarly, the Hamilton lines never quite managed to link up with the Niagara ones; the only major interconnection was that the Hamilton and Brantford linked the Hamilton radials to the Grand River Valley CP lines... Which of course the Toronto Suburban never quite managed to link up to via either Kitchener or Galt.

As tantalizing as the Adam Beck plan is, the actual radials we had were a lot more similar to American interurbans with all their flaws and genuine uncompetitiveness than electric mainlines or an early GO-ALRT.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the tracks gauges are one inside the other. I think each gauge uses a common rail on the outside, and the standard/TTC gauge is based on the distance to which of the pair on the other side they use.

Now, why this configuration is using four rails instead of three, I'm not sure. But if I were laying rail for two separate gauges on the same corridor I'd try to cut my costs by only using three rails.
The most common way to have a dual-gauge setup is with a common rail, yes.

In this case however, the gauge is so close together that it is impossible to use a common rail. The difference in gauge is about the width of the flange.

In the photo, the standard gauge trackage is the left rail, and the second rail from the right, whereas the TTC gauge is the right hand rail and the second rail from the left. They are interleaved.

Dan

the TTC took over operation of the Metropolitan Street Railway in the 1920s. it went all the way up to Lake Simcoe along Yonge
Along a right-of-way.

For highway "improvements", they widened Yonge Street by paving over the single track right-of-way (with passing tracks) for single-occupant motor vehicles.
411.jpg

412b.jpg

From link.

The most common way to have a dual-gauge setup is with a common rail, yes.

In this case however, the gauge is so close together that it is impossible to use a common rail. The difference in gauge is about the width of the flange.

In the photo, the standard gauge trackage is the left rail, and the second rail from the right, whereas the TTC gauge is the right hand rail and the second rail from the left. They are interleaved.

Dan
That makes total sense, and after looking at the photo again it also explains why the distance between the left pair looks slightly different from the right pair. Thanks for clarifying!

That makes total sense, and after looking at the photo again it also explains why the distance between the left pair looks slightly different from the right pair. Thanks for clarifying!
TTC track gauge is 1,495 mm (4 ft 10+7⁄8 in).
Standard track gauge is 1,435 mm (4 ft 8+1⁄2 in).

A difference of 60 mm (2.4 in.)

I could be wrong, but I don't think the tracks gauges are one inside the other. I think each gauge uses a common rail on the outside, and the standard/TTC gauge is based on the distance to which of the pair on the other side they use.
Ah, of course! That must be it! Thanks!

Interesting work from the folks at SmartDensity... https://smartdensity.com/ontario-line/
Is this official? Some of the graphics they show seem bizarre.

If you believe what's in the 10-minute walking distance, no where on Dufferin north of the Gardiner is a 10-minute walk from Exhibition station. And not Corktown Common, right across the river from East Harbour station, is walking distance from the station? Also completely ignores the Broadview extension.

Last edited:
Is this official? Some of the graphics they show seem bizarre.

If you believe what's in the 10-minute walking distance, no where on Dufferin north of the Gardiner is a 10-minute walk from Exhibition station. And nowhere in Corktown, right across the river from East Harbour station is walking distance from the station? Also completely ignores the Broadview extension.

I think they use a pretty slow walker. For the Corktown station, I walk that length every day, and it takes me almost exactly five minutes from Sherbourne to Parliament, five more minutes to Cherry, and five more minutes to the bridge. They say you can go from Berkeley to Cherry in 10 minutes, which is probably reasonable for an older person.

Assuming the East Harbour station is south of Eastern and Broadview, it would be pretty hard to get to Corktown in 10 minutes at a slow pace. You have to go across the Eastern Bridge, then down the pedestrian switchback bridge. That would take most of 10 minutes unless you're a pretty fast walker. The next option is the Queen bridge, but it would definitely take 10 minutes to walk up to Queen and across the bridge.

Assuming the East Harbour station is south of Eastern and Broadview, it would be pretty hard to get to Corktown in 10 minutes at a slow pace. You have to go across the Eastern Bridge, then down the pedestrian switchback bridge. That would take most of 10 minutes unless you're a pretty fast walker. The next option is the Queen bridge, but it would definitely take 10 minutes to walk up to Queen and across the bridge.
It depends which part of Corktown. (parts of which would be closer to the station near Parliament and King). In particularly I was thinking of Corktown Common - which surely is in the walking distance, unless they've changed the station design without telling anyone.

Back