Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Had this floating around my hard drive. This is very likely what we'd be discussing today the the DRL had been completed 15 years ago, as it should have. It would have likely solved any Yonge capacity issues for the foreseeable future.

Full sized version.

olnaoLi.png

I would have extended the red "local" line northward with stations at or near Lytton Blvd./Blythwood Rd. (midway between Eglinton & Lawrence), Lawrence, and Glen Echo Rd./Yonge Blvd. (midway between Lawrence & York Mills).

And beyond 2050 there'd most likely be automatic cars and individual pods on elevated fast tracks with multiple levels of them ...
Why would you think that? It's only 37 years away. Think back to what we were being told we'd see by 2010 only 37 years ago? Little has really changed on the transportation front since then - we've even gone backwards in the supersonic transport front. Remember the London to LA in 1-hour we'd all be doing by now? One the computer-side, we've certainly seen more than many predicted. But I doubt the roads of 2050 will look any more different than 2013, than 2013 does to 1976.

Why would you think that? It's only 37 years away. Think back to what we were being told we'd see by 2010 only 37 years ago? Little has really changed on the transportation front since then - we've even gone backwards in the supersonic transport front. Remember the London to LA in 1-hour we'd all be doing by now? One the computer-side, we've certainly seen more than many predicted. But I doubt the roads of 2050 will look any more different than 2013, than 2013 does to 1976.

I want my flying car...

Anyways, come 2050 our roads won't look that different but their function will undergo a vast change. As the suburban dream of a car and commute for everybody continues to fail, our roads will become much more pedestrian and transit oriented. Many of our major roads will be closed to vehicles and instead have a dedicated streetcar ROW with expanded sidewalks, street cafés and bike lanes. This is something that could very likely happen to Queen street in the next 30 years. We'll also see BRT and LRTs continue to expand across our cities. Massive urban highways like the Gardiner Expressway will certainly come down by 2050 and we should see a general decrease in car ownership.

We're already starting to see the beginning of these changes here in Toronto. Less young people are interested in owning cars than ever before. I invite you to ask a 16 year old if they plan to own a car and if they have a drivers license. The answer to both questions will almost certainly be no. This would have been unimaginable 30 years ago.

I want my flying car...

Anyways, come 2050 our roads won't look that different but their function will undergo a vast change. As the suburban dream of a car and commute for everybody continues to fail, our roads will become much more pedestrian and transit oriented. Many of our major roads will be closed to vehicles and instead have a dedicated streetcar ROW with expanded sidewalks, street cafés and bike lanes. This is something that could very likely happen to Queen street in the next 30 years. We'll also see BRT and LRTs continue to expand across our cities. Massive urban highways like the Gardiner Expressway will certainly come down by 2050 and we should see a general decrease in car ownership.

We're already starting to see the beginning of these changes here in Toronto. Less young people are interested in owning cars than ever before. I invite you to ask a 16 year old if they plan to own a car and if they have a drivers license. The answer to both questions will almost certainly be no. This would have been unimaginable 30 years ago.

Yeah, I don't have mine and I'm almost 22 so...

The car doesn't have to fly, they run on automated elevated highways that would be fast no matter what time of the day since there would be no congestion, and being able to drop you off from door to door would render mass transit obsolete. Mass transit would be just for hopping on and off locally. But more like 2070 and beyond.

The car doesn't have to fly, they run on automated elevated highways that would be fast no matter what time of the day since there would be no congestion, and being able to drop you off from door to door would render mass transit obsolete. Mass transit would be just for hopping on and off locally. But more like 2070 and beyond.

I admire your optimism. But that will never happen. Consider the following: over thousands of years the technology used to get around cities has changed but the medium the technology uses to travel has always remained the same. We've been using roads for 2000 years now. I doubt they're going anywhere.

By 2050, we will have cars that create local "pack" networks on the fly and drive themselves, at least on freeways and arterials. We already have cars that can park themselves...

There'll still be roads, but they would be elevated and for express. The roads on the ground would be for local travel and for getting on and off these expressways. They'll also hover slowly above the roads on the ground so there we would be able to walk and ride our bikes in peace.

There'll still be roads, but they would be elevated and for express. The roads on the ground would be for local travel and for getting on and off these expressways. They'll also hover slowly above the roads on the ground so there we would be able to walk and ride our bikes in peace.

I can't believe you're serious about this. :confused:

There have been elements of this in shows like Total Recall and Minority Report and others, as well as some future engineering shows.

Actually we were told we'd get this Rob Ford wet dream system.

[video=vimeo;4275601]http://www.vimeo.com/4275601[/video]

Last edited:
the problem is that this is expecting 15,000 pphpd on opening day, meaning that if you use LRT tech you would have to be running on 1.75 minute frequencies to satisfy that demand (see:http://www.metrolinx.com/en/projectsandprograms/transitexpansionprojects/EglintonScarboroughCrosstownUpdate_Feb72012.pdf)

Heavy rail gives you 35,000 pphpd at 1.5 minute frequencies, compared to 20,000 for LRT. that is a significant amount, and an amount I can see being needed on the DRL within 10 years of opening.

as for eglinton, I wouldn't be surprised if they determine that eglinton should be grade seperated once the DRL starts to reach eglinton, which I find unlikely to happen until at least 2030.

I figured that a six car train could work, but after doing the math it seems that the capacity would be significantly less than the TR, and it would be longer to boot. A whole new train would have to be designed and built for it to work it seems :/

Once A.I. and robotic arm workers can reliably do construction, buildings new lines would be done at a fraction of the time when you don't have to depend on manual labour, literally building the stations by hand one tile at a time and stuff. And a machine that could tunnel faster would be great too.

Back