Toronto Ontario Court of Justice Toronto | 95.7m | 17s | Infrastructure ON | Renzo Piano

Ha! I assume that they are brise-soleil, unless this project has secretly gained a condo component.

I also assumed they were little sort of “easter egg” balconies; little places of respite in what’s really a pretty intense institution for many of its occupants. Will have to dig through the plans to see if/how they’re denoted.

They are not balconies. For example:
Level 7:
1544800679177.png

Level 8:
1544800699846.png

I also assumed they were little sort of “easter egg” balconies; little places of respite in what’s really a pretty intense institution for many of its occupants. Will have to dig through the plans to see if/how they’re denoted.
That's a good idea, but alas, they're marked as "canopies". There is a nice little "judicial patio" in a courtyard on the 16th floor though.

Either way, it is a good idea.

Many cities have their own museums. Old City Hall is excellently located too, many tourists would visit. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it would be a profit-generating asset.

Only a part of the new building would be a museum. Other proposed uses to go along with the museum include event spaces, retail, and compatible offices, and possibly the re-location of the library branch in City Hall.

I fear that this cheap-ass city won't go for it, despite the need for a central civic museum. The museums that the city operates are small historic properties, like Mackenzie House or Colborne Lodge; the archives out on Spadina Road are a bit out of the way, and those rotating exhibits should be at Old City Hall. We don't even have anything on the par of Montreal's two civic museums (the semi-public McCord Museum and the city-run Pointe-à-Callière) or the amazing City Museum of New York.

Only a part of the new building would be a museum. Other proposed uses to go along with the museum include event spaces, retail, and compatible offices, and possibly the re-location of the library branch in City Hall.

I fear that this cheap-ass city won't go for it, despite the need for a central civic museum. The museums that the city operates are small historic properties, like Mackenzie House or Colborne Lodge; the archives out on Spadina Road are a bit out of the way, and those rotating exhibits should be at Old City Hall. We don't even have anything on the par of Montreal's two civic museums (the semi-public McCord Museum and the city-run Pointe-à-Callière) or the amazing City Museum of New York.

It's too bad we don't have a Toronto museum to rival New York.

Ha! I assume that they are brise-soleil, unless this project has secretly gained a condo component.
They represent a new option for judges during the sentencing phase.

(Sorry, just trying to bring this back to the Ontario Court of Justice. The Old City Hall stuff should be in the Old City Hall thread.

Last edited:
18-156 - Final Heritage Interpretation Plan for New Toronto Courthouse

Infrastructure Ontario requires a consultant team to prepare the Final Heritage Interpretation Plan for the New Toronto Courthouse. Infrastructure Ontario and the Ministry of the Attorney General are currently in the implementation/construction phase of New Toronto Courthouse (NTC) on provincially-owned lands located at 10 Armoury Street, Toronto. The NTC will amalgamate six of Toronto’s Ontario Court of Justice criminal courthouse locations into a contemporary, state-of-the-art, high-rise courthouse—the first of its kind in Ontario. The FHIP will complete the heritage interpretation planning for the project and will document the curatorial strategy, final heritage interpretation contents (text and imagery), and renewal and maintenance strategy.

Back