Toronto OnePark West | ?m | 13s | Daniels | Core Architects

S&M: Whether or not residents of Regent Park think buildings in general are particularly beautiful to begin with, they are still affected by their design - in their aesthetic response to the forms the structures take, and in the practical ability of the buildings to fit their daily living requirements. You can't draw anything out, qualitatively speaking, from a design ( or a work of art ) than what was put into it in the first place, so setting elite architectural firms to rework Regent Park, or to help less able architects via the pilot projects for a design review system, is a fine way to raise the bar. I don't think we should assume people who live in Regent Park are any the less capable of benefiting from good design as anyone else. The D+S architects I've spoken to seem as sensible and down to earth and direct as the Regent Park residents I've spoken to - I think they're a good match.

I don't think I would agree that it is completely social, to me it seems to be in that interesting grey area between existing in fact and existing in social construct.

You're right. I think that's definitely an overstatement on my part. There are good biological and psychological explanations for why we find things beautiful. Symmetrical faces are considered beautiful across social divisions. Biologists argue that this is because we are biologically programmed through evolution to desire faces without scars or deformities.

But social, psychological, and biological explanations of beauty all reject that objects can be inherently beautiful. Objects can only be considered beautiful in relation to the biological, psychological, and social make-up of the human mind. Beauty is like meaning, it cannot exist outside the mind.

Beauty can't be "explained" at all, it can only be appreciated. If it could be explained and quantified it could be reproduced endlessly and there wouldn't be so much ugliness in the world. Venus ain't got no arms but she's a beauty, and celebrated for it; the Nashville Parthenon is an exact replica of the original, but it lacks the magic ingredient of the original, and it isn't celebrated.

What is art? Why, it is what artists do of course!

I'd just be willing to wait and see what happens when/if the "new" Regent Park gets overcome by, er, "Regent Park-ism", i.e. that good high style going ghetto, etc. *Then* it's time to judge whether another myopic Dickinson/Markson/Moriyama-style boner's been committed...

Beauty can't be "explained" at all, it can only be appreciated. If it could be explained and quantified it could be reproduced endlessly and there wouldn't be so much ugliness in the world. Venus ain't got no arms but she's a beauty, and celebrated for it; the Nashville Parthenon is an exact replica of the original, but it lacks the magic ingredient of the original, and it isn't celebrated.

What is art? Why, it is what artists do of course!

Beauty cannot be explained perfectly, since there is always random variation, but that doesn't mean it can't be explained at all. Furthermore, explaining something and reproducing it are two different things. We can explain economic growth, for instance, but that doesn't mean we can always produce growing economies.

Since you bring up the Venus De Milo, its beauty is not some mysterious thing that just happened. We can actually narrow down possible explanations:

If the Venus De Milo is beautiful because of something inherent in its form, then a perfect physical replica should also be equally as beautiful since it has the same form. However, since people would not be as moved by a fake Venus De Milo as the real thing, we can reject this explanation.

If the Venus De Milo is beautiful in part because people have been socialized to think it is beautiful through fine arts education, then we should find a correlation between having a fine arts education and being moved by the Venus De Milo. Although I don't know if such as thing has ever been tested, I bet we would find that the correlation exists.

Anyway, this is a very cold, rational, scientific way of understanding beauty. It divests the artist and art of a lot of their charismatic appeal, much like science divests God and religion of their charismatic appeal. So I can see why it's not an appealing perspective, especially for people who feel strong emotional responses to art. (BTW: I don't think it's a bad thing to feel strong emotions for art, or God for that matter)

This is the last post out of me, I promise!!!

If anyone wants to see a great example of the relationship between beauty and social context, please check out this Pulitzer Prize winning article by Gene Weingarten in the Washington Post entitled "Pearls Before Breakfast": http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html.

People will pay hundreds of dollars to see the one of the world's best violinists play the world's most expensive violin in a concert hall. When the performance takes place in a Washington subway station during morning rush hour, it's a very different story. This is a great social scientific experiment, but it's presented in an engaging, journalistic form.

S&M: All the article tells me is that some people enjoy violin music and some people don't. I've seen Bell perform, but I've also heard better performances by other violinists.

Art is about emotional response - an aesthetic connection between the work and the public. The Venus is beautiful because people make that connection - the problem with "exact" replicas ( as in the Nashville Parthenon example given earlier ) is that they don't have that magic ingredient.

A fine arts education guarantees nothing - those African sculptures in the AGO's Frum Gallery might just as easily appeal to an un-academic high school dropout since they are powerful, direct, and unequivocal in their forms. Your suggestion that there may be a biological link ( a 'beauty-appreciating gene' maybe ) undercuts your argument that formal art education and that horrible concept "good taste" ( which is a historical construct ) have anything to do with "getting" art, beauty, or good design.

Great Article, thanks..

This is the last post out of me, I promise!!!

If anyone wants to see a great example of the relationship between beauty and social context, please check out this Pulitzer Prize winning article by Gene Weingarten in the Washington Post entitled "Pearls Before Breakfast": http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html.

People will pay hundreds of dollars to see the one of the world's best violinists play the world's most expensive violin in a concert hall. When the performance takes place in a Washington subway station during morning rush hour, it's a very different story. This is a great social scientific experiment, but it's presented in an engaging, journalistic form.

S&M: All the article tells me is that some people enjoy violin music and some people don't. I've seen Bell perform, but I've also heard better performances by other violinists.

Art is about emotional response - an aesthetic connection between the work and the public. The Venus is beautiful because people make that connection - the problem with "exact" replicas ( as in the Nashville Parthenon example given earlier ) is that they don't have that magic ingredient.

A fine arts education guarantees nothing - those African sculptures in the AGO's Frum Gallery might just as easily appeal to an un-academic high school dropout since they are powerful, direct, and unequivocal in their forms. Your suggestion that there may be a biological link ( a 'beauty-appreciating gene' maybe ) undercuts your argument that formal art education and that horrible concept "good taste" ( which is a historical construct ) have anything to do with "getting" art, beauty, or good design.

I lied...not last post.

There is such a thing as "multi-causality". It is the interaction of multiple causes (social, psychological, and biological predispositions) that allow objects to invoke emotional responses. Fine arts education does not guarantee an emotional response, but holding all else equal, it increases the probability of an emotional response. Maybe the Venus De Milo also triggers some biological predisposition as well. Maybe we have a slight desire toward wide birthing hips because such a desire helped our species survive hundreds of thousands of years ago. I don’t know, I’m not a biologist. But these two causes can work together. Not only does the fine arts student approach the Venus De Milo with a slight biological predisposition toward wide hips, he has also learned in school that the Venus De Milo is an object of beauty and knows exactly why it is considered an object of beauty. These are two predispositions that make him more likely to experience the emotional response associated with beauty.

But, if you want to believe that beauty is the result of magic, go ahead. Beauty, God, love...all these things are often credited to magic. I prefer scientific explanations.

Last edited:
S&M: When I was at OCA in the early '70s Royden Rabinowitch reputedly smashed plaster casts of classical statues in order to liberate students from the past, so it isn't safe to assume anything about the effect that an arts education has on perception. In that particular case a student might see the beauty in the Venus in spite of what he or she had been taught.

There is such a thing as an educated eye just as there is such a thing as an uneducated eye, and art schools teach visual literacy, but science can't quantify the magic ingredient in art and design that improves the quality of life when it is apprehended any more than the artist who produces it can explain it. It is an abiding mystery, far more intractable than the challenge of figuring out how they got the gooey filling into the Caramilk bar.

I think this debate has come to its natural end. Even if I responded to your other criticisms (which I think represent a misunderstanding of probabilistic causality), on principle I reject the existence of magic, so I have no way of responding to your main argument that beauty comes from a "magic ingredient".

Interesting article, though. I have to say, I fully imagine I would have passed right on by Joshua Bell had I been in Washington that day. I could never believe there is anything absolute in beauty, the way we appreciate it is complex and is based on a huge number of factors, from the qualities inherent in the object itself, to the light conditions, to our own predispositions and experiences that allow us to receive it, to the experiences we bring to the event.

I find, for instance, that when I have a work of art framed, it lends more power to it, gives it more authority, becomes more "artlike". Same effect as the article describes, about the difference between seeing a work in a gallery vs. seeing it in a restaurant. I feel vaguely guilty about some of this, knowing that I would have walked by Bell and needing a frame to validate art or beauty. But I take solace from the fact that I'm hardly alone, and like many (and like Urban Shocker's description of being transfixed by some light in the PATH system one day), I too am susceptible to sudden overwhelming visions of beauty.

I remember once, in Winnipeg in February, going out to lunch from a course that I was taking (in a windowless room) and the quality of the light that sunny, terribly cold day was so beatiful that I didn't eat, and instead walked into the junction of the Assiniboine and Red rivers and stood there with tears streaming down my face, just watching the light. Like being inside a diamond, but better. I'll never forget it.

What also struck me about the article is that the number of people who stopped or paused to listen to Bell probably wasn't far out of line with the proportion of people who subscribe to the Toronto Symphony compared to the TSO's potential subscriber base - I believe that the COC has about 18,000 subscribers, drawn from a potential 5 or 10 million who live in the GTA and southern Ontario. This suggests that those who stopped or paused to listen to Bell ( and those who enjoyed the music as they walked past ) did so because they were touched by the music itself, not some social construct of "good taste" or where it belongs.

The article states:"There was no ethnic or demographic pattern to distinguish the people who stayed to watch Bell, or the ones who gave money, from that vast majority who hurried on past, unheeding."

Of those who stopped and listened, Mortensen is a project manager who "doesn't know classical music at all"; Furukawa is a demographer who "doesn't know much about classical music." either; Tindley, who buses in a restaurant, says "Most people, they play music; they don't feel it. Well, that man was feeling it. That man was moving. Moving into the sound." Picarello is a supervisor at the Postal Service who studied violin, and Olu is a public trust officer and also studied violin - so these two are already tuned in.

It doesn't actually confirm that the educational system and social constructs such as "good taste" may get in the way of forming a direct emotional connection to art, but the article points out: "But the behavior of one demographic remained absolutely consistent. Every single time a child walked past, he or she tried to stop and watch." If I recall correctly from my first year of art school, Royden Rabinowitch and the other instructors actually spent quite a lot of energy getting us to "unlearn" things and recapture the state of openness that children have. As the article says: "The poet Billy Collins once laughingly observed that all babies are born with a knowledge of poetry, because the lub-dub of the mother's heart is in iambic meter. Then, Collins said, life slowly starts to choke the poetry out of us. It may be true with music, too". Not just music, I think.

Curator Mark Leithauser has "good taste" assumptions when he suggests: "Let's say I took one of our more abstract masterpieces, say an Ellsworth Kelly, and removed it from its frame, marched it down the 52 steps that people walk up to get to the National Gallery, past the giant columns, and brought it into a restaurant. It's a $5 million painting. And it's one of those restaurants where there are pieces of original art for sale, by some industrious kids from the Corcoran School, and I hang that Kelly on the wall with a price tag of $150. No one is going to notice it. An art curator might look up and say: 'Hey, that looks a little like an Ellsworth Kelly. Please pass the salt.'" But maybe the number of people who'd actually "get" that painting would be higher than he thinks? It might be in similar proportion to those who stopped to listen to Bell - which was akin to the subscription level of the TSO in relation to their potential audience; in other words about the same.

Anyways...

Here is some more info on the One Oak portion of Regent Park. It is the building to the north of One Cole.

Residential-REG-Main.jpg

Kearns Mancini Architects

Back