Mississauga One Park Tower | ?m | 38s | Daniels | Kirkor

What about it?

You aren't just going to see the building from afar. If the MCC is supposed to become pedestrian friendly, people will be seeing it all the time. As Van Der Rohe said - "God is in the details". These are some absolutely terrible details. There's no way around it - they look ridiculous.

You aren't just going to see the building from afar. If the MCC is supposed to become pedestrian friendly, people will be seeing it all the time. As Van Der Rohe said - "God is in the details". These are some absolutely terrible details. There's no way around it - they look ridiculous.

In that case, its the first few floors of a building that are important, so the Gargoyles wont be a factor in making MCC more pedestrian friendly.

Are they functional? That is, do they spit water? That would give them a redeeming feature and be pretty spectacular in a real downpour.

In that case, its the first few floors of a building that are important, so the Gargoyles wont be a factor in making MCC more pedestrian friendly.

But they'll still be ridiculous add-ons to the design that'll be perfectly visible.

Ridiculous, maybe, but so what? The gargoyles and Marilyn's figure give this tower and Absolute personalities...all other condos in the area are instantly forgettable. There's nothing wrong with a bit of fun.

Ridiculous, maybe, but so what? The gargoyles and Marilyn's figure give this tower and Absolute personalities...all other condos in the area are instantly forgettable. There's nothing wrong with a bit of fun.

There's nothing wrong with a little fun, but these just look ridiculous. There's nothing fun about them. I would also disagree that the gargoyles give it any personality. The Marilyn Monroe tower(s) have a sculptural quality...these gargoyles are just tacked on and have nothing to do with the overall design of the building.

I think they're pretty damn awesome. Are they the kind of gargoyles I would have went with? Maybe not. I also may have not gone with the colour of the precast they chose to better match the colour of the gargoyles.

However, they do add character to the building. This building is going to be lost in a seat of many other buildings in 20 years anyway, so it's not that huge of a deal.

When you're driving down the highway or Mavis Or Hurontario, this building looks really awesome. The roof is very nice.

Though I can imagine plenty of people around this joint who'd choose a plainly Toronto Style-esque representative of, er, "instantly forgettable" such as Citygate over this gargoyled grotesquerie...

I think they're pretty damn awesome. Are they the kind of gargoyles I would have went with? Maybe not. I also may have not gone with the colour of the precast they chose to better match the colour of the gargoyles.

However, they do add character to the building. This building is going to be lost in a seat of many other buildings in 20 years anyway, so it's not that huge of a deal.

When you're driving down the highway or Mavis Or Hurontario, this building looks really awesome. The roof is very nice.

Even from the 401, this building looks amazing.

But they'll still be ridiculous add-ons to the design that'll be perfectly visible.

From up close, yes they look ridiculous... but the average pedestrian wont be walking by this building with binoculars. From afar, the gargoyles look fine, and everyone (unless you live in the building) will be seeing these from afar.

I don't think I've ever encountered such strange reasoning for bad design.

8 gargoyles added on to a building don't make it a bad design. I wouldn't even say the gargoyles are a bad design, because they look great on their own. You claimed that the pedestrian experience of MCC would not be enhanced basically because of these 8 gargoyles... now that is strange reasoning.

They are not bad design for Disney World...but in the context of them being 'decoration' on a modern building built in the 21st century, they could easily be considered bad design.

Back