Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

Poor landlords of the Aura commercial spaces paid hundreds of thousands for completely worthless spaces, and now you want to punish them for it.
Aura is different - those units were sold as strata titles, not leased by the commercial landlord. Besides, the empty storefronts there are not visible from street level. I do think there should be a penalty if the storefronts are street-facing - they're unsightly and kill street life. No sympathy for 1 Bloor E landlord - after all, their units are located at a prime location (again, unlike Aura's basement), a lot of businesses would love to be at Yonge & Bloor if the rent/ lease makes commercial sense. While the loss of some tenants (Starbucks, Nordstrom) was beyond the landlord's control, there's no excuse for letting the Bloor St units remain vacant for the past 7 years or so (except for ex Tokyo Smoke). Like I said, those units would have been snapped up if the rent was reasonable.

Has anyone heard any news about what could be filling in all the vacant retail space? I think the spaces are as follows: former Nordstrom Rack, former Tokyo Smoke, former Starbucks (interior space), and the massive two floors of retail on the east side of the building along Bloor
Aura is different - those units were sold as strata titles, not leased by the commercial landlord. Besides, the empty storefronts there are not visible from street level. I do think there should be a penalty if the storefronts are street-facing - they're unsightly and kill street life. No sympathy for 1 Bloor E landlord - after all, their units are located at a prime location (again, unlike Aura's basement), a lot of businesses would love to be at Yonge & Bloor if the rent/ lease makes commercial sense. While the loss of some tenants (Starbucks, Nordstrom) was beyond the landlord's control, there's no excuse for letting the Bloor St units remain vacant for the past 7 years or so (except for ex Tokyo Smoke). Like I said, those units would have been snapped up if the rent was reasonable.

Some info:

1690311408260.png

I've always wondered that myself but I suspect from the landlords perspective it doesn't really make sense i.e. lower rents a lot - it would degrade the value of the commercial property over time - moreover a lot of these landlords own a lot of retail in the same area, so same issue here - lowering rents would put pressure on their other properties as well.

Does Toronto still even have the vacant store front tax credit ? I thought that was gone and there was some pressure to in act the opposite effectively. Which makes sense to me in all honesty, the likelihood of problems (fires / ...) is probably higher with empty units.

Last edited:
* cross post from Bloor-Yorkville *

This is largely the former upper level of Nordstrom Rack, though there will be a modest sized grade-level entrance.
Well colour me disappointed, really disappointed. I wouldnt mind this virtually anywhere else in the area, but the last place i'd want to see this kind of tenant is in one of Toronto's premiere intersections.

Seriously though, is this building cursed? I cannot imagine this glorified cycling studio will still be in business within two years of opening. What demographic are they targeting exactly? Who would have any use for this place?
They're trying too hard to be "Yorkville" when I think they should be "Yonge". Which is probably why Chick-fil-A is thriving, but everything else is not. I feel the Ballroom will work out, as there aren't many other bars in the area that likely appeal to the big sub-30 & student population. Personally, I think a grocery store would be a better fit for the former Rack spot. Would be nice to see Galleria, Nations or (wish list) Starsky open up a full-sized store downtown. Bloor east of Spadina and west of the Don Valley is sorely lacking mid-market, full-sized grocery store with street frontage. Something that isn't part of the Loblaws, Metro or Empire dominance.

Last edited:
Random question - anyone happen to know the floor plate size here? I did a quick google today and couldn’t turn up any obvious results.

Public confirmation of the new retail tenants here should be public in the next short while according to my sources.

Not much I can reveal at this point, for good or for ill.

I can say, because its public through the permits process, than fashion retailer Mango is among the tenants. I gather they will have a smaller space.

...the other is that Fruit Company that wants to thumb its nose at Mizrahi? 🙀

Back