Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

This building will quickly morph into something quite awesome... The contrast between balcony glass and blue undertones will be more noticeable month to month... This is Ice quality, if not a fair bit more...

I don't know if I can agree with your sentiment. I was downtown a couple of weeks ago and while I was walking north towards 1 Bloor E. I could barely differentiate the contrast
between the glazing and the balcony glass. Perhaps it was due to the dull and cloudy day, I don't know. On previous soujorns, I noticed that the glazing here was remarkably similar to the Four Seasons Hotel glazing. The balcony glass has become so commonplace now i.e. 1001 Bay, Exhibit, Harbour Plaza, etc. that it's time to start complaining about it similarily
to the commonplace moaning about the ubiquity of the cheap green glazing, of say, City Place. I love this building but can't help wondering if they had used a different coloured fritted
glass on the balconies would the effect have not been better. In the U Condos thread there are some photos of the base where the "blades of grass" are now clad in a dark frit glass. Could a different colour not been more effective in accentuating the balcony forms and raised the quality of a good looking leg clad in taupe, ordinary pantyhose into say something
in fishnets, elevating it into something, dare I say, Sexy?

This is going to come across as obvious, but…

U Condos depends upon the frit on the glass changing to create the blades of grass motif, as otherwise the balconies are flat and featureless. At One Bloor East, the feature is the multiple curves, physically created by varying the balcony widths. If one were to change the frit or some other feature of the glass, it would be to over-complicate and therefore diminish the curves themselves.

There will be days when the light is flat because of clouds when the building will not pop as much, but based on the photos we have seen whenever there is any significant definition in the sky, I believe we will experience new light effects again and again and again as we visit or pass by the building at different times of days and on different days of the year. There's probably no building in the city that looks more attuned to the play of light, and I'm glad that we have a simple, classic, elemental design by which to appreciate it. I think this building will wow for years.

Just taken.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    636.8 KB · Views: 1,862
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,883
Noticed that the parking structure to the southeast of 1 Bloor East is closed for construction. Anybody know what's happening there?

Back