Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

Bay st and Jarvis are for cars. Yonge street is not. If you really want or need to drive down it. Expect it to be slow moving and full of pedestrians. If this is not your perception of what Yonge street should be, than I don't think Yonge st is really a place you'd want to be anyways.

And tbh Bay and Church shouldn't be for cars either. Deliveries can be scheduled during lower volume hours and commuter traffic by single occupant vehicles should be heavily discouraged. I'd love to see expanded sidewalks on Yonge and renewed streetcar services on Bay and Church to help relieve pressure on the Yonge line (plus the existing trackage on Bay and Church especially means it could be done fairly cheaply I'd imagine). I understand that people need to drive in this city but Bay, Yonge and Church are way too congested and dense for any sane person to drive down (unless you want to crawl slowly along, like the annoying guys with midlife crises driving Ferraris and Lambos up and down Yonge) and the transit and sidewalk infrastructures should reflect this.

I never drive down Yonge or Church unless I have to or am trying to drop someone off on either of those streets. Neither is suited for anything but local traffic. Bay Street, however, is rarely a problem (other than the fact that it so difficult to turn off it south of Queen).

One thing nice about the majority of these new condo developments along Yonge is the fact that they widen the sidewalks anyway by stepping back from them. Aura and One Bloor are exaggerated examples of this, but when most of the new developments going up from College to Bloor are all said and done (minus the ones retaining heritage structures like FIVE), we'll have quite a few stretches of newly paved and widened sidewalks that hopefully will alleviate some of these issues.

One thing nice about the majority of these new condo developments along Yonge is the fact that they widen the sidewalks anyway by stepping back from them. Aura and One Bloor are exaggerated examples of this, but when most of the new developments going up from College to Bloor are all said and done (minus the ones retaining heritage structures like FIVE), we'll have quite a few stretches of newly paved and widened sidewalks that hopefully will alleviate some of these issues.

Very true, but on busy streets the expanded sidewalks are most effective if all the buildings on the block are redeveloped. In this example on Dundas, almost all of the sidewalks have been widened. But thanks to the Denny's building, the sidewalk in front of it is twice as narrow and creates a bottleneck when there are lots of pedestrians. That section is barely wide enough for two people to walk past each other

Screen shot 2016-02-12 at 4.07.06 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-02-12 at 4.07.06 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-02-12 at 4.07.06 PM.png
    919.3 KB · Views: 1,621
Today:
IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg
IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0683.jpg
    IMG_0683.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,490
  • IMG_0685.jpg
    IMG_0685.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,466
  • IMG_0687.jpg
    IMG_0687.jpg
    888.7 KB · Views: 1,459
  • IMG_0688.jpg
    IMG_0688.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,472
  • IMG_0776.jpg
    IMG_0776.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,437
Because it is a glass box, and what makes the difference is the balcony glass, which is nowhere near completion. That's not exactly news.

AoD

While Rack may not be the best choice, I wouldn't go as far as calling it sad. The Globe mentions that Rack generates higher sales per sqft than the full-price store, unsurprisingly.
Off-price stores often outperform their sister full-line counterparts; for example, in 2014 Rack stores generated $552 (U.S.) sales per square foot compared with $371 at its conventional namesake stores, company data show.
Considering the rent along this particular stretch of Bloor street (avg. $325 per sqft annually as per study by Cushman & Wakefield in 2015), Rack is more likely to provide a positive cashflow at this location.

With the addition of Rack the retail mix at Yonge & Bloor will be diversified and it will attract a much higher foot traffic than a high luxury brand store. The lack of food options such as the one offered at Saks is a down side nonetheless.

Last edited:
So who else is opening at One Bloor besides Nordstrom Rack? Don't think I've heard about any others yet?

Back