Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

It's cute when we're concerned for the style and comfort of wealthy privileged people. Life would be so charmed if only they could get wet gradually.

Of interest - a unique construction elevator is being used on the project:

It’s a Bird… It’s a Plane… It’s an Elevator!
Toronto
Mixed-Use
Nov 05, 2014

It can scale tall buildings at 800 feet per minute. And last week saw the North American debut of KONE JumpLift, a self-climbing construction elevator that promises to speed up the development of mighty One Bloor, the 75-storey tower from Great Gulf—with 100k SF of retail—at Yonge and Bloor. KONE Americas CEO Larry Wash was snapped at the launch event with Great Gulf development VP Geoffrey Mathews and Tucker HiRise EVP Chris Mallinos.

Used throughout Europe, Asia, the Middle East and Australia, the JumpLift has a mobile machine room that moves upward as construction progresses on One Bloor (snapped this morning). The lift operates within the building’s permanent internal elevator hoist way, enabling completed floors to be put into action while construction continues above. And did we mention it can travel up to 800 feet per minute? A mere mortal construction elevator does 200 feet per minute, tops. No word on whether KONE’s superhero elevator comes with seat belts, or sick bags.
https://www.bisnow.com/toronto/news/mixed-use/Its-a-Bird-Its-a-Plane-Its-an-Elevator-40189

More info here:

http://elevatortoday.com/2012/10/24/kone-jumplift/

Last edited:
From this morning.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,461
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    644.6 KB · Views: 1,446
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    836.9 KB · Views: 1,424
I'm surprised nobody is commenting on the balcony glass framing. As the railings are curved, I'm sure the glass itself will be curved as well.

I'm surprised nobody is commenting on the balcony glass framing. As the railings are curved, I'm sure the glass itself will be curved as well.

It is expected from the renderings - and what's already been put up confirms it. I think they'd be mass produced at the same curvature.

AoD

Pretty soon the Benito-master won't be able to get the whole thing in one shot.

At minimum, he's going to be shooting up to capture the progress within another week or two.

Thanks for the frequent updates Benito, with a tower this nice it's greatly appreciated.

I'm feeling very sad right now as I'm about to lose my view of the DVP. I don't know why, but being able to see the traffic on the DVP made me happy. Anyhow, yes I might have to start using my camera instead of my phone to capture the vertical shots of One Bloor, or I'll need to use the panoramic setting on my iPhone to get the whole building soon. I will also lose my view of the actual action on each level that is being made very very soon.

Last edited:
5 more floors and it's taller then you and blocks your east view, but you still have a great view down bloor/danforth

I noticed it last night when I was at the intersection and was going to come here to mention the railings are curved, but I forgot about it. Glad to see the balcony glass will be curved.

Are the exterior walls of the tower being installed on an arc? In Benito's picture it looks like the sill track has a curving arc. I know that could be because of the shape of the floor slab, but it just doesn't look like a straight line to me

Back