Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

This was the first time I was actually home when they were putting the forms in place for the floors. I thought it was really cool to watch.

1ba29.jpg

Attachments

• 1ba29.jpg
    1ba29.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 2,239
glad to see that they are using the same A+ glass on the residential portion as the one used on the retail/podium. mostly doesn't happen.

They really seem to be going the extra mile on this one in terms of quality. Love that glass. At 845ft high all covered in this gorgeous glass...it'll look stunning. So excited for it to be topped out to get an idea of what it'll add to the skyline. Aura surprised me and turned out decent . I think this one will be better.

They really seem to be going the extra mile on this one in terms of quality. Love that glass. At 845ft high all covered in this gorgeous glass...it'll look stunning. So excited for it to be topped out to get an idea of what it'll add to the skyline. Aura surprised me and turned out decent . I think this one will be better.

This one may just justify the use of wrap around balconies on box buildings looking good for me. Many of them just don't cut it or fail miserably.
It seems like the balconies are a crucial part of the overall design and not an afterthought.
I'm trying to picture what One Bloor would look like without balconies with the podium cladding while keeping the wavy pattern. That would have looked fine too I think.
Although One Bloor may not stand out on the skyline and won't have a sloped roofline, it seems to be doing one thing right: looking good at street level. Quite the opposite with Aura actually. Where it looks great at a distance. But fails from Yonge/Gerard.
Pedestrians are gonna love it!

This one may just justify the use of wrap around balconies on box buildings looking good for me. Many of them just don't cut it or fail miserably.
It seems like the balconies are a crucial part of the overall design and not an afterthought.
I'm trying to picture what One Bloor would look like without balconies with the podium cladding while keeping the wavy pattern. That would have looked fine too I think.

Naturally balconies are a crucial part of the design of a building. We don't get unanimity around here on whether or not they have succeeded on particular buildings, but that's par for the course.

I thought that was just the windows? I think he meant as in lose the concrete.

Yes. I think this building needs to be properly re-clad. New windows don't really help much. I think it's class b office space. In such a great location, they might benefit from completely refurbishing it. And it would sure look better.

Back when we were young, and Bloor and Yonge was simpler…

Those were the bad old days.

Back