Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

They don't really need to site right at the major intersection - the pile that is Scotia Bank would work very nicely. That, or Stollery, a la Covenant Garden treatment.

We already have one of the world longest glass staircases though...need another material. Aerogel?

AoD

I have to say, I am disappointed that, despite the dynamic location in the heart of the city, at 70 stories, this will only be the eleventh tallest in the city.

So much potential left on the table.

Last edited:
I say to say, I am disappointed that, despite the dynamic location in the heart of the city, at 70 stories, this will only be the eleventh tallest in the city.

So much potential left on the table.

The height is not that important. It will appear VERY tall at 70 stories. I'm mostly concerned with the materials and finishes since this will be a very prominent tower so it's important that it looks as good as possible.

I agree it will appear very tall. The footprint also plays a role in appearance of height. For example, i was surprised at how small the Ice footprint seems to be. These will seem very tall in relation.

Thanks 3D!

In fact there are a number of interesting images in that article which haven't been seen before.

Here's another new one that Apple will never comment on: (because they never do until the hoarding for the store windows is up)

one_bloor_7_MH.jpg

It's not quite confirmation that this is where their Toronto flagship store is going, but they'd be insane not to take this spot. Back when this was a Bazis project it was mentioned in a Committee of Adjustment meeting by one of the Bazis people that Apple were going to go in, (never publicly confirmed by Apple), and this is the first time since that something has surfaced for the new design indicating that Apple decided to wait patiently for this location.

Good to see!

thanks for posting that!!! If my eyes aren't playing tricks on me, that's an apple logo on the NEW One Bloor Podium!! sweet!

thanks for posting that!!! If my eyes aren't playing tricks on me, that's an apple logo on the NEW One Bloor Podium!! sweet!

I'm sure that a) Apple had nothing to do with that image, b) it is an older image (since it is advertising iPods, and using the old "silhouette" ads), and c) Apple swears all potential leasers to total secrecy.

In other words, I think it is just someone's fantasy, and doesn't reflect anything concrete. (I would be hugely delighted to be wrong, however.)

I'm sure that a) Apple had nothing to do with that image, b) it is an older image (since it is advertising iPods, and using the old "silhouette" ads), and c) Apple swears all potential leasers to total secrecy.

In other words, I think it is just someone's fantasy, and doesn't reflect anything concrete. (I would be hugely delighted to be wrong, however.)

Good point on the iPod thing. On the other hand, these kind of renderings usually never show actual retail enterprises. They usually feature imaginary stores that the artist just makes up for illustration purposes. The fact that this is clearly an Apple store is unusual for this kind of rendering. Not sure what that means exactly.

A little reminder....

There's an all too forgotten undertow, to this boom in Toronto, and in Canada in general.
There is an acceptance, and embracing, of urban density as forward thinking city planning, There has to be ways to make the city of the furture work, and still function, beyond the age of the automobile. These vertical suburbs, are tackling these issues...

The Toronto boom, will continue, because it is how civic leaders, and business developers, want the city to survive, there must still be growth, and at the upper levels of city planning, there is a future thinking leadership, that deserves a lot of credit, for this growth.

It is not inherent on one leader or term, but rather an entire nation, tackling the issues that face the city of the future,
.....There is so little of this thought here, on any level, ...Chicago sand New York, aside..... the rest of the US, including LA, is about the sprawl, and the auto....

Kudos Toronto!!!! ..... there are other factors, economic, and political, but this is a forgotten part of the equation....and why project after project keeps getting announced, its just as simple as new track housing, just find a parking lot!!!! ..and go up up up!!! And the city says ..... YES

Sustainable, planned growth is a good thing. Toronto is growing too fast, is being strangled by traffic and has a poor transit system for the size of the city. I believe these problems along with a shortage of affordable and geared to income rental stock across the city will be a bad thing for the city in just a few short years. Don't get too excited about singing the praises of a troubled city just yet.

jetsbackincanada:

Most of the growth in the region are happening the the fringes, often in unsustainable manner. And what growth there is in the core is often of low quality, haphazard and generally not "forward thinking" at all (vis-a-vis international standards), often with no accompanying intensification of supporting infrastructure. So I'd be a bit less sanguine in singing praises. But of course, if your thing is "density" (sic building height)...

AoD

Last edited:
jetsbackincanada:

Most of the growth in the region are happening the the fringes, often in unsustainable manner. And what growth there is in the core is often of low quality, haphazard and generally not "forward thinking" at all (vis-a-vis international standards), often with no accompanying intensification of supporting infrastructure. So I'd be a bit less sanguine in singing praises. But of course, if your thing is "density" (sic building height)...

AoD

I don't buy you argument regarding the core unless you're referring to the following:

For the most part in the core, the transit infrastructure is sufficient to get around the core it self, on top of this, most needs / wants / desires can be satisfied within the core (by this I'm referring to any form of shopping), this is ever increasing with the presence of more big box outlets in the core (just in the sense this covers all angles i.e. if someone wanted to go to such a place they have that option in the core). Entertainment / parks / schools / ... all of this can be found in the core proper.

Now, where I'll by your argument is; More and more people live in the core but work elsewhere, and of course the opposite is true. So for example you live downtown but work in Markham. The transit infrastructure for this is terrible. Even the opposite isn't great i.e. getting to the core from the other areas.

Plans like downtown Markham / MCC / ... are all great, but we're not going to create little centralized regions that are completely self contained i.e. if you live in downtown Markham you will work there ... I'm sure this will be the minority. Employment always relies on sources from all around the region. So this is where the GTA fails terribly.

At the same time you have to give the GTA credit, are there any other regions in North American with plans like downtown Markham / VCC / MCC / Yonge - Hi-way 7 / and lest not forget about the waterfront ?
But the transit for such densities is lacking.

jetsbackincanada:

AoD

"often with no accompanying intensification of supporting infrastructure" is the key here. Most of what's being built would be sustainable if we invested in transportation infrastructure. Otherwise, if building higher density neighbourhoods isn't sustainable, then what do we do? Unless you mean more in the way of almost-carbon-neutral buildings, etc.?

What I meant by supporting infrastructure is a) the physical state of that infrastructure, which is often deteriorating and b) the inadequate state of infrastructure - particularly when referring to linkages beyond the core, but also of situations like Yonge-Bloor station, which is massively congested during the rush, it can be considered downright unsafe. Our growth is predicated on investments from previous generations - and we should recognize the fact that we are outgrowing it.

re: regions - yes, Vancouver - and they beat us in intra-regional coordination bar none. We have precious little regional planning, much less intra-regional coordination here in the GTA (though getting better in both areas). And one would be right to question the motivation behind DT Markham/VCC/MCC - is it really about good planning per se, or is it about a) regional cachet and b) diminishing greenfield availability? We have planned these centres independently for whatever reasons, and then try to knit them up after the fact - the shortcoming shows, and shows badly.

AoD

canarob:

Well, energy/sustainability certainly is one issue (some progress, but clearly not sufficient), but I am referring more to transportation in this particular post.

AoD

The increasing local tax base, will spur and finance demand for ...

Improved commuter lines and all the other civic duties, that an empty and decaying core prevents, will all become a part of this process..
How can you say most of the growth is along the fringes, are you not paying attention, condo after condo is still being released..... and its in due part to the plan if the city, to intensify, the existing commuter lines...

I am simply stating that some forward thinking on the part of the local and provincial officials is a part of this process, and that compared to the average US city, Toronto is leaps and bounds ahead of the game.....

Last edited:

Back