Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

yb1.jpg

I used to work in this awful building, was cold in winter, hot in summer, drafty and very noisy (single pane windows), especially during the World Cup with all the celebrations when some country's team won a game. The stores, restaurants of Roy's Square are missed.
Glad this is finally going after the delay, looking forward to the change of the feel of the intersection. Hopefully the soundproofing is really good on the new condos otherwise I feel sorry for the residents.

That GridTO article is a pretty poor summation of what happened… and it's just plain wrong. Amusing to here that "Lehman Brothers, teetered towards the brink of bankruptcy", although I think the thousands who lost their jobs when Lehman more than teetered would not be as amused as I am.

I wonder what The Grid paid for that article?

Glad this is finally going after the delay, looking forward to the change of the feel of the intersection. Hopefully the soundproofing is really good on the new condos otherwise I feel sorry for the residents.
I had a south and west facing apartment in the Plaza II apartments at Y+B through the 80's & 90's which isn't right at the corner but close enough and I rarely heard anything inside of there except sirens (barely), it was a surprisingly quiet mid-1970's building. Floor to ceiling glass may present sound problems on the lower floors of One Bloor, but it shouldn't be much of a problem higher up. Also, it's much quieter in this area at night now compared to what it was like when I lived there.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the speculation of whether or not this building would connect to the subway line still ongoing? It seems this article confirms "direct access to yonge AND bloor subway lines".

^ I think the previous speculation was about whether or not there would be an underground connection to the HBC across Bloor. As far as I know that will not happen. The direct access to the Y/B subway is via an existing connection in the Zerox building.

^^ Your dream is for Toronto to have a clone of a building in Chicago? Perhaps you should dream bigger.

Condovo, many of your posts have a rude or belittling tone to them (especially the ones you posted on Wed, Nov 25). I was going through the different projects' threads and every post you made was like that. If someone says something that you may not necessarily agree with, it's alright, and you can still convey your (differing) opinion nicely.

Let me guess - you'll come back with a defensive/confrontational post or pretend to take 'the high road'. Before you get mad, take a step back and see what is being said....

Maybe it's just me, but I think Aqua in Chicago looks OK from up close ... you want to like it ... the design is interesting ... but it just doesn't come together. From far away where more of the glass is visible it's nice, particularly due to the contrast between it and the balconies.

Back