Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

That explains why all the buildings on the Northside of Bloor are relatively new buildings. (1970;s or newer) - Even the older buildings (like Manulife) are built well north of Bloor Street so would not have impeded the construction of the Bloor line back in the day.

there will be no underground PATH connection between One Bloor and the Hudson Bay Centre.

That doesn't mean there won't be a connection between the two. PATH does not exist around Bloor and Yonge.

Philofra: I am not playing a semantic game here; to restate, there will be no underground pedestrian walkway connection between One Bloor and the Hudson Bay Centre. Great Gulf does not want to pay for one.

Tulse: There is no intervening subway; the subway entrances pretty much mark where the Bloor line is, and they are both under the north half of the HBC, while the south half of the HBC has the old Plaza cinema space in it. They could connect the two buildings through that possibly. (It makes one wonder what the disused Plaza cinema space looks like so many years later.) Anyway, as stated above, Great Gulf does not want to pay to connect. Presumably the owner of HBC is not interested either.

Since One Bloor will connect to the Yonge subway through the Xerox building, presumably they feel that is enough of a climate controlled link to the rest of the commuting city.

There is no intervening subway; the subway entrances pretty much mark where the Bloor line is,

It seems absurd to me that the city therefore doesn't require a connection between HBC and One Bloor. I would think that, in general, the city would want to encourage that kind of underground connection in all new buildings where possible.

and they are both under the north half of the HBC, while the south half of the HBC has the old Plaza cinema space in it. They could connect the two buildings through that possibly. (It makes one wonder what the disused Plaza cinema space looks like so many years later.)

Indeed, it is intriguing to think of that vast cavernous space just sitting there unused beneath HBC. I'm surprised no one has come up with a use for it. Heck, given all the condos going up in the area, perhaps it is time to revive it as a cinema.

^ Not to mention the recently vacated Fabricland space.

Which was a disco ("Heaven") in the 1970's & early 80's then also sat vacant for well over a decade. Fabricland was previously located in the former Town Cinema right across the street until it was demolished, then they moved into the former disco space.

1bn6.jpg

Tulse: There is no intervening subway; the subway entrances pretty much mark where the Bloor line is, and they are both under the north half of the HBC, while the south half of the HBC has the old Plaza cinema space in it. They could connect the two buildings through that possibly. (It makes one wonder what the disused Plaza cinema space looks like so many years later.) Anyway, as stated above, Great Gulf does not want to pay to connect. Presumably the owner of HBC is not interested either.

Since One Bloor will connect to the Yonge subway through the Xerox building, presumably they feel that is enough of a climate controlled link to the rest of the commuting city.

That's too bad... and mostly for HBC, I'd think they'd like to get more foot traffic through that place. Granted an underground connection doesn't translate into more traffic for the above ground floors.

This corner has a long way to go... alone the numerous issues facing the TTC at this location is many years away from any sort of fix.

I think once the retail space at 1 Bloor is complete the pedestrian traffic will increase outside of HBC.

A direct connect between the two centers will come in time. The subway connection is not direct enough or convenient since one has to pay to enter.

Imagine, spending so much on a project and not willing to pay for a direct connection between the two. They will eventually change their mind or come to some agreement. A connection will be good for business, like with the tunnel eventually done between Manulife Centre and Holt Renfrew.

Back