Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

I was by on Tuesday, nothing has changed so there's really no need for a photo update yet. I'll hazard a guess that excavation will begin in two or three weeks presuming that permits are in place.

I posted this to give guidance on the date of completion

Recommendations

Transportation Services recommends that Toronto and East York Community Council:

1. Approve the closure of the north sidewalk and north portion of Hayden Street, between Yonge Street and a point 56.5 metres east of Yonge Street, from December 1, 2011 to June 30, 2016.

2. Approve the removal of the existing "No Parking Anytime" restriction on the south side of Hayden Street, between Yonge Street and a point 30.5 metres east of Yonge Street.

3. Approve the removal of the existing "No Standing Anytime" restriction on the north side of Hayden Street, between Yonge Street and a point 56.5 metres east of Yonge Street.

4. Approve the removal of the existing Pay & Display Parking regulations on the south side of Hayden Street, between Yonge Street and a point 56.5 metres east of Yonge Street.

5. Approve the implementation of a "No Stopping Anytime" restriction on both sides of Hayden Street, between Yonge Street and a point 56.5 metres east of Yonge Street, from December 1, 2011 to June 30, 2016.

6. Direct that Hayden Street be returned to its pre-construction traffic and parking regulations when the project is complete.
Summary

This staff report is about a matter for which the Community Council has the delegated authority from City Council to make a final decision.

Tucker Hi-Rise Construction Inc. is constructing a 70-storey condominium building at 1 Bloor Street East, on the southeast corner of Bloor Street East and Yonge Street. They need to close the north side of Hayden Street in order to do their work.

That does seem like a really long time. Id have guessed 8-10 months to excavate, and probably another 5-6 months after that to get back up to grade. That would put them at grade for May 2013, and then (roughly), 70 weeks after that to top out would put them at July/August 2014. Cladding wouldn't be that far behind (maybe November 2014?), and even allowing a bit of extra time to get the hoist down and landscaping done would still have them ready to go by Spring 2015. I wonder if they're expecting things to take longer on account of the logistics of getting things in/out of Yonge/Bloor.

So I guess this is a pointless discussion as it seems there will be those who will always find justification to bury and others not to bury.

That does seem like a really long time. Id have guessed 8-10 months to excavate, and probably another 5-6 months after that to get back up to grade. That would put them at grade for May 2013, and then (roughly), 70 weeks after that to top out would put them at July/August 2014. Cladding wouldn't be that far behind (maybe November 2014?), and even allowing a bit of extra time to get the hoist down and landscaping done would still have them ready to go by Spring 2015. I wonder if they're expecting things to take longer on account of the logistics of getting things in/out of Yonge/Bloor.

That seems like a very ambitious timeline to me. My own guess would be a year for excavation (due to the subways, and the considerable depth they are planning to excavate -- December 2012) and another 8 months to get back up to grade (August 2013). The podium is large and complex, another 8 months for that (April 2013), and the floorplates for the rest of the tower are quite large as well, so maybe 10 days per floor, 22 months in total (February 2015), plus another year to finish up after topping out, for a completion date of February 2016. That's about 4 months before the official completion date of June 30, 2016 -- perhaps they have added a "fudge factor" to allow for various unforseen delays?

Last edited:
One thing to remember when talking about how long this will take is that the podium and tower aren't exactly plain boxes, they have a more complex shape and plan that changes with each floor, and hence would take longer to do.

How quickly was Aqua built? (If anyone knows)

As a point of comparison, Aura construction started in January 2010, so it has taken 22 months to get where they are now. The One Bloor site bestrides two subway lines instead of one, and the podium is significantly more complex, so I would expect it will take longer to start working on the 'regular' tower floors. 26-28 months sounds reasonable to me.

Last edited:
I'm curious to know if 1 Bloor's "BEEM" model, which was talked about in July, will help speed up the construction process.

"For the overall construction timeline, how many fewer weeks of construction do you expect that this system will save you? Do you anticipate that it will be significant?"

"It certainly improves construction time and prevents many issues."

It doesn't really answer how much time may be saved. The Article for those that may have missed it - http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2011/07...-bloor-construction-technology-groundbreaking

The One Bloor site is not beside the Bloor subway at all. The Bloor line is fully under the Hudson Bay Centre on the other side of the street. Not only that , but there will be no underground PATH connection between One Bloor and the Hudson Bay Centre.

One Bloor is beside the Yonge subway, but even that is fully underneath the Xerox tower to the east. I just can't see the subway as much of a factor when you already have to make sure that the office tower next door is not compromised either… which is pretty typical situation when building in Toronto these days.

Back