Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

Well, despite all the optimism, it turns out it is a parking lot after all - for construction machinery.

I'm sure they're just, you know....waiting for better weather....or something....yah, thats it... it's all this dreary sun and stuff 'n junk.

Any day now....for sure.....you'll see.

Maybe it's a labour shortage and they have to wait for Ice, L Tower, Aura and Shangri La to finish to get skilled help, and enough concrete to pour a pad for the Jimmy John.

No patience at all. Your partner must have all the toys.

I'm stealing this for future use.

But seriously, I think we've all been quite patient considering the multiple proposals that have come up for this site. It's understandable that we would want to get construction underway to avoid another loss.

Now the question arises : Why they jumped the gun, so to say, to declare this project "Under Constraction" before the actual start of constraction ?

Probably to get UrbanToronto off their back, not realizing it was just going to backfire.

Yes, I can imagine it now: "Let's spend loads of money renting some idle construction equipment just to satisfy some inconsequential nerds on the internet."

The reaction in this thread is getting incredibly silly.

Maybe their engineers are working underground, surveying/triple checking location of subway conduits, gas, electrical, sewers, etc.

With respect to existing infrastructure, this may be the most complex intersection in the city to work around ..

Another angle, why should One Bloor be able to jump the cue just because it's big and tall?
No patience at all.

Its not just because its big, tall, and high profile, but mainly because this corner of Yonge And Bloor which has the reputation as the best intersection in Canada, has sat dormant for the past 5 years....
..You would think the City of Toronto would want this location up and running.:confused:

why is this corner so popular... it has the hideous Bay Centre, CIBC, Stollerys (and BTW I don't know how this place is able to keep up with the lease price which I'm guessing is very expensive). AND of course the empty 1 Bloor East lot.

There's nothing special going on at this corner. It does have the potential to be more than what it currently is, but that's years away.

I'd argue that Bay and Bloor is just as high profile and probably even more so at this point.

why is this corner so popular... it has the hideous Bay Centre, CIBC, Stollerys (and BTW I don't know how this place is able to keep up with the lease price which I'm guessing is very expensive). AND of course the empty 1 Bloor East lot.

There's nothing special going on at this corner. It does have the potential to be more than what it currently is, but that's years away.

I'd argue that Bay and Bloor is just as high profile and probably even more so at this point.

It's because it's so central.... It's where 2 subway lines cross, the first main intersection in Toronto (from the north), etc.....
But i agree with you, in that Bay/Bloor is more developed. But once One Bloor is built, this intersection will be ICONIC!... i'm more pumped for this tower than ICE and L tower, just because of the street-level impact.

Why is this corner so popular... it has the hideous Bay Centre, CIBC, Stollerys and of course the empty 1 Bloor East lot. There's nothing special going on at this corner.

Maybe because it's the gateway to disgusting Yonge St. Dollar stores and XXX Video stores from Bloor south to the lake. :)

I think it's an important intersection because the two streets themselves are iconic, not because of anything special about the corner itself. Yonge St. and Bloor St. are arguably the defining streets of (the former City of) Toronto, the scaffold upon which the rest of the city hangs. That makes their meeting point important, despite the fact that the buildings at that corner, until now, have been mediocre.

It really isn't anymore, but it was. It used to be the northern gateway to downtown Yonge which, south of Bloor, housed many famous bars and music venues since the 1950's, iconic cinemas of all types, restaurants, video arcades, book shops, adult entertainment venues, shopping and below the corner, the subway crossroads by the mid-60's. Yonge & Bloor would have rivaled Yonge & Dundas for pedestrian traffic until it's slow, painful downfall in the last 10-15 years. For decades, Bloor to Queen was also the cruising strip for people walking the street and driving up and down, bumper to bumper, on Friday & Saturday nights or when celebratory events happened in the city. This section of Yonge Street is now but a shadow of it's former self, but it sure was fun while it lasted.

It's because it's so central.... It's where 2 subway lines cross, the first main intersection in Toronto (from the north), etc.....
But i agree with you, in that Bay/Bloor is more developed. But once One Bloor is built, this intersection will be ICONIC!... i'm more pumped for this tower than ICE and L tower, just because of the street-level impact.

There's lots of other lots around Yonge and Bloor where competing condo developments could be built. The Four Seasons sells for insane prices in spite of not being directly at a major intersection. Any developer can buy a run down building somewhere in this area (Brass Rail strip club anyone?), tear it down, build million dollar condos on it and PROFIT!!! Luxury condos in downtown Toronto are a terrible investment because of this.

Also if being near two subway lines is really important to you, there is also Bloor & St. George or Bloor & Spadina which aren't anywhere near as expensive as Yonge & Bloor. Also don't forget about Yonge & Sheppard (nice, though further from downtown) and Kennedy & Eglinton (not very nice). Union might count as well (subway-GO train interchange). In 2020 or so when the Eglinton LRT opens then Eglinton & Yonge (and Eglinton & Allen) will become subway interchanges as well. However, I have the nagging suspicion that the sort of ultra rich people who buy developments like this do not use public transit and do not care where the subway lines are. If this development is anything like the Four Seasons, there will be massive underground parking garages filled with lots of expensive cars.

Back