Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

I think it would be spectacular if they did a terrace-style shopping centre on the site of the site of the Stollery shop, and kept its facade as part of one of the terraces- Stollery's could even stay in its current location once the project is done. A terrace opening out towards Yonge and Bloor would almost make the corner feel like part of an amphitheater.

I.e. here, without the monstrous towers:

cond-1.jpg

The%20Lifestyle%20Center.jpg

wow those renders are stunning.... that would be awsome to have...... what lucky city's getting this jackpot??

yeah they're stunning all right - they look like high rise slums! there's no space between the three towers, it's surrounded by pavement, and the podium of the big one is trying more than a little too hard.

Hold on, which is truly the busiest intersection in Toronto? Is it Yonge and Bloor or Yonge and Dundas (or somewhere else?)

Yikes! I do not like that terraced shopping centre at all! Looks like it belongs Downtown Calgary (+15) more-so than Toronto. Let's pray nothing like that ever comes to Downtown TO!

Edit: Actually kinda reminds me of This Street-life Killer Here

Last edited:
ewww... my eyes!!

This would just add to the eye sores on Yonge street

Hence the reason why I stated:
I.e. here, without the monstrous towers:

Some of you seem to lack reading comprehension or something!

I have to admit that those pictures lack polish, but the terrace was done by Jerde, which did some pretty nice shopping centers around the world, including the Roppongi Hill project.

http://www.jerde.com/projects/

I'd say that right now, Toronto lacks that difference in height- our retail streets are often oppressively linear and pressed flat against the street. I hope that this project will play around with forms more- if the tip of the corner (maybe keep the facade of Stollery's) was isolated and a path cut behind, we might get an space like these:

brillwest_full_arcadestreet.jpg

namba%202%20canyon%20path-sept09.jpg

namba%20aerial%20day-sept09.jpg

namba_3.jpg

As for the claim that the terrace will suck life out of the city street, I think it all depends on whether or not the elevated portions will provide the path of least resistance as compared to the sidewalk.

The instance shown in the Google Streetview link was destined to fail because:
A.) The architecture was oppressively banal and sterile.
B.) The architects insisted on those low 90s-style arcades, which turn storefronts into dark recesses.
C.) The raised walkways go nowhere and contribute nothing to the streetlife.
D.) The pathways around the water are absolutely brutal. There's no shade, nothing of interest.
E.) Did I mention that the architecture is banal?

People are drawn to interesting spaces and if the architecture at the base is attractive and interesting, it will be a landmark.

Hold on, which is truly the busiest intersection in Toronto? Is it Yonge and Bloor or Yonge and Dundas (or somewhere else?)

Truly? Bay and Front or Bay and King.

Back