Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

One of the shoring rigs is almost assembled

1bloorj24.jpg

*rubs hands together*

I'm so excited....I'm so excited....I'm so....*collapses a la Jessie Spano from Saved By The Bell*

I am excited for this one. However, I'd be more excited if it was the previous render. I think others would be more excited if that were the case as well.

i actually like the gulf render... compared to the bazis one.... i likes the height of bazis but the gulf design is more .... unique

Yeah, I'm puzzled at the statement that the current render is inferior compared to the previous one. Bazis one was in my opinion, garbage.

i don't think the original Bazis proposal was utter crap. The podium was very weak, but the fin thing at the top was kinda cool. It made a box tower look better, but yeah, this thing is definitely nicer looking. It's a box that doesn't look like a box (thanks to the slanted roof and curved balconies). This will be our Aqua, (and with the right cladding... BETTER than aqua... i hate the way Aqua's roof looks.. it ends so abruptly flat)

The previous designs were garish in my view, different in look, but similar in quality to ROCP. The current one is more elegant and clean, and has the chance of becoming a Toronto icon.

Apart from the height, IMO this GG design is better than the Bazis proposal in every aspect. Regardless of either height its still going to dominate the Y/B skyline. This has a solid design/podium and is going to have a great impact on the streetscape. In this case, patience is paying off.

Last edited:
Also, bear in mind Bazis track record of submitting a proposal that looks all cool and flashy in the rendering, but turns out looking cheap and tacky when actually built. Crystal Blue, for example.

Back