Toronto One Bedford | ?m | 32s | Lanterra | KPMB

How many buildings does this make now? And it's all new buildings completed in the past year or so. Is this all coming from the same supplier?

If my count is correct - off the top of my head, that makes four downtown condos and 10 panes of glass

Could it be that all this glass now-a-days is coming from China.:confused:

I'd lean more toward engineering errors.

It's too much of a coincidence that it is two Lanterra projects. There is clearly something going on with design or installation. I'm sure the company's insurance underwriter is very interested in what the source of the problem is and god forbid the law suits that will fly if one of these falling panes actually injures someone -- or worse. I'd really love to hear anything from the city's building inspections department about it. Didn't someone there sign off on the safety/engineering? This falling windows thing is bound to get very, very messy...

Yeah, to bad, it wont be long before word on the street overseas is that... the Toronto construction scene is shady, hopefully they dont label us in the same category as Dubai or many other Chinese cities.

Glass railing failures are happening elsewhere too. The W hotel in Austin had their balconies break off not too long ago:
http://www.statesman.com/news/local...-replace-balcony-1590528.html?cxtype=rss_news

Tempered glass could easily shatter when there is a lot of pressure or an impact occurs at the edges (the weak spot). Many glass balcony railings are designed to be held by four bolts near each corner. If the fit is too tight or bolts/washers are missing, etc. it could cause a lot of stress on a concentrated spot at the edge of the glass causing it to break and fall off the frame.
Laminated glass is a much safer choice as it will stay in one piece if cracked or damaged, but as stated in the article, it costs twice as much as tempered glass.

Last edited:
falling balcony glass

How many buildings does this make now? And it's all new buildings completed in the past year or so. Is this all coming from the same supplier?

Same railing contractor - maybe different glass supplier - balcony railing systems are not tested

I hate to sound like a broken record but CP24 is hearing reports of more glass falling.

@stephaniesmyth
Reports of falling glass again at Bedford and Bloor...53d sgt. hasn't heard of anything. Of course @cp24 is checking it out #toronto

Edit, confirmed:
@stephaniesmyth
CP24 Breaking News: Glass falls from top floor condo on Bedford at Bloor AGAIN @cp24 is there watch for LIVE look at 4pm #toronto

Last edited:
And they have some very large projects in the hopper or under construction. The Younge project, Sherbourne/Bloor project and Ice.

And apparently a woman was cut by falling glass from the south Murano tower too. So now officially, someone has been injured. I personally, would sue...

And apparently a woman was cut by falling glass from the south Murano tower too. So now officially, someone has been injured. I personally, would sue...

That was reported in the Murano thread on Monday when it happened.

CBC radio had a segment talking to an engineer i believe, who made reference to the same glass supplier for all these buildings, and impurities in the glass. I'm sure we can all
guess where he was inferring the supplier was from. True or not, i don't know. A new railing contractor has been hired. I guess the city has already ordered the glass to be replaced
in one of these condo's.

She's definitely getting a nice payday out of this incident.

Lanterra

Have they taken any responsibility for these accidents? Ultimately it's their brand that will suffer.

Back