Toronto One Bedford | ?m | 32s | Lanterra | KPMB

A future sales office conversation:

Agent: This quality project is being built by Lanterra Developments

Public: Who's Lanterra?

Agent: They are a large developer with a huge portfolio of successful projects including Waterpark City, Toy Factory Lofts, Maple Leaf Square, Ice, Murano, Burano, and One Bedford

Public: OOoooo ... you mean the builder with the falling balcony glass !!!

Agent: Yes, the builder who paid to replace the tempered balcony glass with laminated glass.

I know I'm sounding like a shill for Lanterra, but I honestly believe that their side of this is being under-reported on here. And, let me reiterate, Lanterra does not pay us to take their side, nor have they bought any ads on UT. It's simply a matter of trying to bring balance to the reporting of this situation, where many posts by UT members sound like they write for the Toronto Sun.

Agent: Yes, the builder who paid to replace the tempered balcony glass with laminated glass.

I know I'm sounding like a shill for Lanterra, but I honestly believe that their side of this is being under-reported on here. And, let me reiterate, Lanterra does not pay us to take their side, nor have they bought any ads on UT. It's simply a matter of trying to bring balance to the reporting of this situation, where many posts by UT members sound like they write for the Toronto Sun.

Well said, and I for one agree. Some of us over-reacted here at first but Lanterra is doing the right thing, and not wasting any time either. To my mind Lanterra just took a step up as a quality developer given how they have handled this unfortunate mess.

Today

Protective sidewalk barrier in place, and balcony panels are beginning to come down

It will be interesting to find out what the actual problem was, and if it is at all tied to shoddy foreign production. Maybe buying goods from the cheapest source
is not always the best option. Also, are other buildings under construction contracted to use the same material. I'm sure this is all insider information, but maybe
someday the truth will come out. Lantera found out the hard way, but at least something is being done quickly. I know the city forced the issue, but i'm sure Lantera would have
acted anyway.

People love to watch the prodigious stumble..

Prodigious? Please.

Lanterra is a mass market builder catering not to actual end user buyers but to faceless numbered companies looking for profit and a quick flip. I am as free market as they come but these guys are a modern day chop shop, not a fine builder of quality homes. Note the swelling number of listings in this building as evidence. They build cheap buildings with decent designs from afar but poor quality and this is a prime example of it. They deserve the damage to the reputation that will naturally ensue. You don't see glass falling from One St. Thomas do you?

Bedford and Bloor deserved a better project than the one it got. Thus far Bloor west of Avenue Road was better before the construction boom started- at least it held promise.

Last edited:
Prodigious? Please.

Lanterra is a mass market builder catering not to actual end user buyers but to faceless numbered companies looking for profit and a quick flip. I am as free market as they come but these guys are a modern day chop shop, not a fine builder of quality homes. Note the swelling number of listings in this building as evidence. They build cheap buildings with decent designs from afar but poor quality and this is a prime example of it. They deserve the damage to the reputation that will naturally ensue. You don't see glass falling from One St. Thomas do you?

Bedford and Bloor deserved a better project than the one it got. Thus far Bloor west of Avenue Road was better before the construction boom started- at least it held promise.

I agree with you about Lanterra, but glass has fallen from several non-Lanterra buildings. They just don't get reported.

I agree with you about Lanterra, but glass has fallen from several non-Lanterra buildings. They just don't get reported.

Aside from two Daniels buildings, what other ones haven't been reported?

One last parting shot;

6275428401_4c197d8631_z.jpg

Legal notice in Friday's Toronto Star business section about the class action here continuing. Class action against Bedford At Bloor Realty, Lanterra, Toro Aluminum, MCE Developments and H&R Developments with action against KPMB Architects and Page + Steele dismissed. They are seeking damages regarding the balcony issues.

Last edited:
Tower of Power: who lives where at One Bedford, the new downtown address of choice for uptown potentates

In the three years since it was completed, One Bedford, the 32-storey monolith above, has become de facto HQ for tastemakers in business, media, arts and politics. Chalk it up to its location at the nexus of three high-rent neighbourhoods, which allows residents to self-identify as posh Yorkvillers, U of T brainiacs or quinoa-munching Annexers as needed. One of the latest big-name tenants to join the party is the mayor. Here’s who he calls neighbour.

Back