Toronto One Bedford | ?m | 32s | Lanterra | KPMB

Nice shots ^^^ :)

One Bedford always looks shorter than normal from Avenue/Bloor for some reason :eek:

This building has a nice impact on the skyline! (and the bloor street canyon cause it dies west of the museum :(

1bed3.jpg

1bed1.jpg

1bed2.jpg

It really looks great driving down Bedford at night seeing this highrise looming in the distance. Redroom Studios, I want you to get some night shots--start at Dupont and Bedford Rd; then around Bernard and Bedford and finally around Prince Arthur.

(Frankly, I'm surprised with all the mid-rise apartment buildings in the area, we don't get more UT photos from those angles.)

The brick heritage facade that faces south in the little cut-in couryard off of Bedford has been reconstructed in its final place. Looks great to have some history kept here-- I don't care if it's a stack of mismatched bricks-- it's history, it's grounding and sentimental and I think that's important to have within reasonable extent.

Didn't have my camera on me. Sorry!

Dec. 12th

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

I love this tower when I'm on Bloor, but hate it when I'm in Queen's Park or on the UofT campus. I think if I had realized how much it would dominate the area to the south I would have been against it way back when it got proposed.

At the same time, now that it's there (or is in the process of becoming there) I think I'd like to see some similarly scaled developments around it to mitigate it's sore-thumbiness. Maybe a redevelopment of OISE or that other UofT building at Bloor/Bedford (with the Tim Hortons).

And walking by the other week I noticed the old Lyle facade has been reconstituted, and is under tarps in the courtyard. It feels a little tacked on, but when everything is finished it might be better incorporated.

I don't mind One Bedford's impact on the campus. I love the feeling that the university is an oasis in the middle of the city, because it very much is.

cool new shot!... what a sweet angle!

One bedford looks great in that shot! The Crystal looks fine as well!... Museum house should look nice alongside this one! One Bedford really does dominate that stretch of Bloor!

/\ Another informative post.

It seems to me that the more we ensconce our little campus in towers, the more we value the incredible space that it is. In much the same way that Bryant Park is that much more valuable because of its lofty environs, I feel that a castle-wall of towers around this little urban courtyard could do much for our understanding of the space itself. With the aA quadruplets and G+C runts on Bay, the CCBR and Pharmacy Building to the south, Mosaic (shudder) to the west and One Bedford and Museum Haus to the north, it seems all we need is a moat.

I don't mind One Bedford's impact on the campus. I love the feeling that the university is an oasis in the middle of the city, because it very much is.

It depends from where you see it. But looking north on axis w/University College, that classic view, it's definitely sore-thumbish...

It seems to me that the more we ensconce our little campus in towers, the more we value the incredible space that it is. In much the same way that Bryant Park is that much more valuable because of its lofty environs, I feel that a castle-wall of towers around this little urban courtyard could do much for our understanding of the space itself. With the aA quadruplets and G+C runts on Bay, the CCBR and Pharmacy Building to the south, Mosaic (shudder) to the west and One Bedford and Museum Haus to the north, it seems all we need is a moat.

Well said. I notice One Bedford anew every evening, walking home from work. I cut through U of T, and passing in front of Victoria College, the unfinished bulk of the tower peeks over the treeline, and every time, I'm a caught a bit off guard, and am reminded to actually pay attention to where I am. It's sort of nice.

If you look along King's College Circle to the east all you see are the wall of skyscrapers along Bay. It makes the U of T grounds feel more cozy, as well as a destination.

Yes, One Bedford does stick out a bit when looking north from campus, but why is that a bad thing? The CN tower sticks out of the skyline too.

The OISE building is the only one I can imagine being redeveloped along that stretch. And that will take a while. The building is full of asbestos, and with the connection to the subway, I would imagine it would be a slow dismantling process along with a slow rebuild.

Anyway, I'm liking this building more and more. From campus walking along Bloor from either St. George, Devonshire, or Philosopher's Walk, One Bedford's podium creates a very comfortable atmosphere when matched with the more open spaces around the corners of Varsity Stadium, as well as the new front entry courtyard at the Conservatory. While I lament the loss of all of the small businesses and storefronts that used to be there, this stretch definitely feels more satisfyingly urban.

Back