News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.3K     5 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
Last edited:
Ben McNally Books will be closing their store at 366 Bay St as the lease expires, and reopening temporarily at 317 Adelaide East while they continue to look for a new longterm location.

I was walking past The Rex earlier and noticed it was somewhat boarded up with signs indicating a temporary closure until Toronto goes into stage 3.

We reached Stage 3 but it is still closed. Anyone know if it is completely dunzo? I hope not.. I have some rather NSFW memories and life milestones there....

20200820_124540.jpg
20200820_124555.jpg

I was walking past The Rex earlier and noticed it was somewhat boarded up with signs indicating a temporary closure until Toronto goes into stage 3.

We reached Stage 3 but it is still closed. Anyone know if it is completely dunzo? I hope not.. I have some rather NSFW memories and life milestones there....

View attachment 264506
It would be best to remove the Corona Patio sign. Why? It's never a good idea to be constantly reminded about the coronavirus COVID-19, especially for a licensed establishment, despite Corona being a beer brand.

The Rex could find a different beer brand for its patio sign.

Perhaps "no name"?

lcbo-no-name-beer-review-1-jpg.264239

Behold!

No Name Rex.png

Last edited:
Goûter Patisserie will be opening a new location this Fall at Eglinton & Avenue Rd, their 2nd in the city.

Everything at Goûter is made fresh daily, including bread, such as sourdough loaves and focaccia, as well as flakey, 27-layer croissants.

In addition to croissants, the bakery features a variety of other ever-changing viennoiseries — a term used to describe baked goods made using techniques similar to bread-making — ranging from classics like pain au chocolate to Kouign-Amann, a dense croissant-like pastry.

Goûter is also known for its hand-decorated chocolate bonbons, which come in rotating flavours like roasted hazelnut and matcha tea.

Mazzi hinted that the bakery’s expansion to a second location is part of a larger upcoming project, but additional details are being kept under wraps for now.

Goûter is currently targeting a fall launch for its second location, but we’ll have to stay tuned for the official opening date.

Anet Gesualdi (AG) Macarons have closed their store at Dupont & Christie, and have moved to 709 The Queensway, near Royal York in Etobicoke.

20200906_072419.jpg
20200906_072436.jpg

The Flight Centre have closed their location at St. Clair W & Bathurst.

20200906_105359.jpg

Attachments

• 20200905_080117.jpg
    20200905_080117.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
The Flight Centre have closed their location at St. Clair W & Bathurst.

20200906_105359.jpg

The one in the Scarborough Town Centre has yet to re-open even for future planning which is understandable. That being said however, the fact they deal with flights and travel packages is a death sentence. I would not be surprised if the whole chain went bankrupt in the near future.

To that end, I think this is also the end of travel agencies in general favouring the airlines. Personally, I don't see the point in booking with expedia or other travel agencies when I can book with the airline and hotel directly.

Think about it, those people that booked with third party agents like expedia, flight centre or other misc travel agencies are having to go through hoops to get refunds, etc because of covid. Those that booked directly with the airlines and hotels are having a (somewhat) easier go at it.

The one in the Scarborough Town Centre has yet to re-open even for future planning which is understandable. That being said however, the fact they deal with flights and travel packages is a death sentence. I would not be surprised if the whole chain went bankrupt in the near future.

To that end, I think this is also the end of travel agencies in general favouring the airlines. Personally, I don't see the point in booking with expedia or other travel agencies when I can book with the airline and hotel directly.

Think about it, those people that booked with third party agents like expedia, flight centre or other misc travel agencies are having to go through hoops to get refunds, etc because of covid. Those that booked directly with the airlines and hotels are having a (somewhat) easier go at it.

The concept of a physical travel agencies like Flight Centre is toast no doubt. The whole tourism industry internationally is in the gutter for the foreseeable future. I recently spoke to a friend who used to work as a travel service agent for Air Canada. The whole company laid off around 10,000 staff members this year from all roles. She doesn't expect to get recalled for at least 2 years, if even that.

The concept of a physical travel agencies like Flight Centre is toast no doubt. The whole tourism industry internationally is in the gutter for the foreseeable future. I recently spoke to a friend who used to work as a travel service agent for Air Canada. The whole company laid off around 10,000 staff members this year from all roles. She doesn't expect to get recalled for at least 2 years, if even that.

I plan to go to Hungary next year but that's only to see my family after 13 years.

Back