566     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 865     0 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
The future of bowling alleys remains uncertain:

Two Thoughts:

1) Pre-Covid, bowling alleys have been dropping like flies. I don't mind bowling, once every 10 years or so, but that entirely speaks to a certain future for bowling alleys, and its a dark one, pandemic aside.

2) Given that most transmission is ballistic (face to face, distance under 2M); that bowling is not done face to face or in close proximity to any other person generally; at most you need a barrier between the adjacent lanes in the throwing area; and even that is low-value epidemiological speaking.

The only material risk of transmission, while bowling, is the close contact of the group you enter with and chat to.

That strikes me as the responsibility of the people involved, not the bowling alley.

There is a marginal risk with air conditioning related air flow; but that can be manged by ensuring venting does not promote a strong horizontal air current. Not hard can be done w/slat manipulation/vent covers.

That said, not sure any sensible precautions or early openings lead to a long-term future for most bowling places.

Lavish & Squalor at 253 Queen St W has closed after 25 years in business:

I'm not wishing anyone a bankruptcy, but I'm looking forward to not facing this idiotically named store again. Lavish is an adjective (or a verb) and Sqaulor is a noun. The store should have been named either Lavish and Squalid or possibly Luxury and Squalor. The name they did have was annoying as hell.

I'm not wishing anyone a bankruptcy, but I'm looking forward to not facing this idiotically named store again. Lavish is an adjective (or a verb) and Sqaulor is a noun. The store should have been named either Lavish and Squalid or possibly Luxury and Squalor. The name they did have was annoying as hell.

It entered retail hell anyways.

Vancouver based coffee shop, JJ Bean, have shut down their 3 Toronto locations: 90 Eglinton E, 390 Bay, and 197 Bartley.

Vancouver based coffee shop, JJ Bean, have shut down their 3 Toronto locations: 90 Eglinton E, 390 Bay, and 197 Bartley.

How sad :(

Their St. Clair location is not mentioned in the article though.

Taiyaki NYC ice cream shop at Dundas (west of Bay) are closing at the end of the month, July 2020:

I walk this strip almost every day and I've never even noticed this place. There's way too much of this gimmicky stuff around anyway.

Back