1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 949     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 359     0 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
The old Roxy Cinema on the Danforth about to start it's new life as a gas bar convenience store. Watching the Rocky Horror Picture Show there in the 70's, I never could have predicted this outcome.

roxy.jpg

Well, better than getting demolished I guess. At least it can be reconverted in the future.

This is a shame when there seems to be a bit of a resurgence in the neighbourhood movie houise.

Marshall's to open several new stores in the GTA in 2011.

Flight Centre is taking a spot in 1200 Bay & Bloor. I think it will go in where the Sandwich Box was supposed to go.

Does this mean that the Flight Centre at the Holt Renfrew Centre is moving there?

1 August 2010: Parkdale & WQW are blowing up big time, becoming destination retail in addition to hot restaurants and of course bars and art galleries. Beside Paul Petro, (first name escapes me right now) a member of the Reichmann family bought a store front with his soon to open high end men's boutique "Ruins"--establishment Toronto finally invests in Queen West...hmm.

dsc01372ts.jpg

Further west under the bridge in Parkdale proper, Queen East vintage shop Common Sort is set to get us sorted in the rag trade westside style. Not certain if it's a 2nd location or just a move.

dsc01302t.jpg

Further East, in my old stomping grounds, Tealish has replaced one of the original wqw yoga/spa studios--will tea sell where it failed to in the Annex? I must admit I'm bored with Toronto's indie coffee scene, so perhaps others of similar sentiment will ensure success here?

dsc01386k.jpg

After getting the boot from the fire several months back, Australian Boot Co has moved across the street:

dsc01387x.jpg

Heel Boy is now firmly established in their new location across the street from their old shop--a good place to pick up girls? :D
dsc01389g.jpg

Still think Yorkville is Toronto's premier shopping district? Right, you are officially dating yourself. :p Davids shoes new location is undergoing renovation:

dsc01390t.jpg

Hot:

dsc01393z.jpg

Back in Parkdale, you gotta admire the guts of someone opening a new bookstore in the age of the ipad: The River Trading Company:

dsc01409u.jpg

More about it here: http://voxpopulism.wordpress.com/2010/07/31/mainly-books-the-river-trading-company/

Last edited:
Ooh I wonder if Sanko sells Japanese chocolate bars!?! They have a million flavours of Kit-Kat in Japan that I wanna try.

Last edited:
Hey Urbandreamer - where you hearing that David's Shoes is moving into the old fruit market? I'm hearing another new coffee shop is set to take over. You sure it's not David's Tea rather than David's Shoes?

Oh maybe lol. Someone said it was Davids--maybe they did mean the tea place?

Another coffee place? Jeez, well let me see, a Dark Horse would work here I guess.

No matter what goes here--this strip is becoming the new $$$ strip.

edit: I read about Davids shoes taking over the space in this very thread, several months ago!

DAVID'S Shoes is opening in West Queen West and taking over the space of Square Fruit Market and Heelboy at Queen and Euclid.

Last edited:
I wish it was David's Shoes...

Another coffee place? Jeez, well let me see, a Dark Horse would work here I guess.

That would be a seriously high concentration of indie coffee here (White Squirrel, Quaff, and that other one practically beside Quaff).

By the way, if anyone's into Scandinavian design, Mjolk in the Junction (kinda new) is pretty great.

Last edited:

Back