1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 894     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 355     0 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
Bought a pretty plum coloured bow tie with white polka dots at Brooks Brothers in Royal Bank Plaza this morning before the place shuts down for the riots.

Brooks Brothers is sadly a pale imitation of what they used to be...c.1950s.

Go check out Martina Sorbara's sister's photographic exhibit at The Department gallery on Dundas West--yes, that Sorbara, who sadly ruined her Indian Road home during renovations that is the subject of her show. She's the daughter of former finance minister Greg Sorbara.

It's the first time I've shopped there. They've got polka dot bow ties in quite a range of nice colours, and some reasonably attractive striped ones. The rest of their stuff I wouldn't give you tuppence for.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5G 2C8

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 197070 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Jun 15, 2010

Project: Multiple Use/Non Residential Multiple Projects

Description: Proposal to construct a 1 sty addition on the south side (college level) and interior alterations for future grocery store.

Back to Search Results page

Then a No Frills next door, that would be fun! Sobey's shockingly has better prices than Metro. I pity the Metro shopper---other than their good Quebec-sourced baguettes and cheeses, they suck.

As to the Sobeys over Metro; Sobeys is in the Bay St wing (McLean Hunter Tower), not sure if the ownership is same or different that the rest of College Park. I would normally expect an exclusivity clause for an anchor tenant; but it they are differently owned buildings that might explain it.

Also rumoured is that Metro is looking at moving into Aura (replacing the current College Park store, but that is not confirmed).

Dreamer:

I have to disagree, there is one other redeeming thing about Metro; they are the only 'big chain' that does in store roasted beef and in-store smoked pulled pork. They make for a yummy sandwich on the go; if the actually had toppings (other than mayo and BBQ sauce) they would be truly well prepared.

The last thing I want around here is a No Frills. I'd rather go high end than low end.

No Frills are great. I shop at them weekly for all my basics. Fantastic prices on the same crap they sell everywhere else. (I don't eat processed or sugary/salty foods btw.) Then if you want good meat, go to Butcher by Nature. Metro really isn't anymore lux than No Frills, just less buying power so prices are more.

HORRIBLE NEWS. This Ain't the Rosedale Libary, in my eyes the best bookshop in town, is shut today and there's a bailiff's notice on the door.

I am not surprised. Young Kensington Market hipsters either can't afford books or read them on their ipads.... Locating on a less popular street in the Market was also a bad idea--Augusta would've been the better location. This Ain't the Rosedale Library, ironically, would do better in Rosedale!

I wish the owner well though--he helped many authors I know get an audience.

Does anyone know what happened to Bakery 18 at the Atrium? I was there a few days ago and it was shut. No notice or anything and the trays, tongs, etc were still there. It was the only Asian-style bakery (I could think of, anyway) outside of predominantly Asian areas in the GTA.

Back