Toronto Newton at Concord CityPlace | 67.97m | 18s | Concord Adex | P + S / IBI

Taken on May 7, 2017.

Am I right in thinking there is slightly less spandrel for this condo? If that's the case, it's the best we can hope for for Concord.

Small mercies indeed. Overall the CityPlace project lacks personality and unity. I'm left with the impression the developer made it's good return on investment and that's about it. A Signature conclusion to the precinct might soften the disappointment a little, but given glimpses of what might happen there, any hope is fading for me. Less spandrel at the Newton - wow.

Can someone explain why less spandrel is a good thing? I'm sorry for the ignorant question, but I do not understand the benefits/drawbacks of going one way or the other.

Thanks!

Can someone explain why less spandrel is a good thing? I'm sorry for the ignorant question, but I do not understand the benefits/drawbacks of going one way or the other.

Thanks!

When you see people on this thread (and elsewhere) bemoan the use of spandrel, they're typically referring to a specific type of back-painted glass spandrel paneling that has been very popular among Toronto developers in the current condo boom. The displeasure stems from an aesthetic distaste of how it's been predominantly used here over the last 10 years or so.

Spandrel isn't necessarily inherently bad; there are lots of different ways it can be used and there are different types of spandrel panels, but the type that is almost universally loathed has been used (overused) to bad effect in some of the worst contemporary Toronto condo designs. It's a relatively cheap material, though there are cheaper options depending on what type of the building you're trying to clad.

I thought the initial buildings weren't too bad (very Vancouver-ish) and then they started cheaping out around Parade/ Canoe Landing Park.

Last edited:
Small mercies indeed. Overall the CityPlace project lacks personality and unity. I'm left with the impression the developer made it's good return on investment and that's about it. A Signature conclusion to the precinct might soften the disappointment a little, but given glimpses of what might happen there, any hope is fading for me. Less spandrel at the Newton - wow.

Say what you want about CityPlace, but it doesn't suffer from a lack of unity. Most of the buildings are rectilinear glass towers of similar middling aesthetic quality. It's not an ugly neighbourhood. The different buildings have a variety of architectural details that make each building different. But the area could use something special because it is somewhat monotonous.

I mean the overall effect of CityPlace on me is not positive . Perhaps a lack of unity of expression, or theme , is not the most elegant way to express the feeling I get that the project is just a grab bag. My eye doesn't linger over much in this development. It sure could use something special.

Back