Toronto Musée Condos | 53.95m | 17s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

A host of factors make Toronto and Chicago both similar and dissimilar, which makes for comparisons of the two quite interesting, but how old each is, isn't one of them: Chicago and Toronto are essentially the same age. I still say that familiarity with a place always makes it feel smaller, and the degree of familiarity with whatever subset of a city will colour every comparison.

If @adma drops in here, he'll school you on the backwater until the 70s comment.

Happy to be schooled by those more knowledgeable than me. But surely it's beyond dispute that Toronto was much smaller and less significant than Chicago at the beginning of WWII?

It's not "which city is older", but "when did the most significant growth take place".

I grew up in Victoria, and its urban area feels much bigger and more significant than say, Kitchener-Waterloo, even though the population is about the same. Why? Victoria was a significant city early in its history, and its growth predated suburbanization. I've lived in both places, and I feel confident saying that that perception is not related to familiarity.

Last edited:
Happy to be schooled by those more knowledgeable than me. But surely it's beyond dispute that Toronto was much smaller and less significant than Chicago at the beginning of WWII?

It's not "which city is older", but "when did the most significant growth take place".

I grew up in Victoria, and its urban area feels much bigger and more significant than say, Kitchener-Waterloo, even though the population is about the same. Why? Victoria was a significant city early in its history, and its growth predated suburbanization. I've lived in both places, and I feel confident saying that that perception is not related to familiarity.
Yeah, I think you raise an insightful point.

23348053863_04c05a7be9_h.jpg

23348052473_61cae73ff4_h.jpg

I find this building very unfortunate. The neighbouring Bathurst building by Core is far superior. Too bad that when looking west, that structure is obscured by the bulk of Musée.

Musée has been topped off a little over a month ago.

Here's a side-by-side with oneeleven:
IMG_5594.JPG

View from the eastern courtyard/park:
IMG_5565.JPG
IMG_5569.JPG
IMG_5573.JPG

View of south façade from the Six50 King courtyard:
IMG_5612.JPG

Hard to believe wedged between oneeleven, Six50, and their own building is their outdoor swimming pool deck down on the 2nd floor terrace (behind the white precast band to the left of the alley):
IMG_5586.JPG
IMG_5592.JPG

View west on Adelaide from Portland:
IMG_5615.JPG

The burnt orange and ochre yellow spandrel panels are well needed here, but it still doesn't help the fact that this is such a hulking crude-looking building.

Attachments

• IMG_5565.JPG
    IMG_5565.JPG
    1,002.4 KB · Views: 742
  • IMG_5569.JPG
    IMG_5569.JPG
    491.3 KB · Views: 742
  • IMG_5573.JPG
    IMG_5573.JPG
    760.6 KB · Views: 728
  • IMG_5586.JPG
    IMG_5586.JPG
    508.2 KB · Views: 1,882
  • IMG_5592.JPG
    IMG_5592.JPG
    473.1 KB · Views: 705
  • IMG_5594.JPG
    IMG_5594.JPG
    831.2 KB · Views: 723
  • IMG_5612.JPG
    IMG_5612.JPG
    449.1 KB · Views: 743
  • IMG_5615.JPG
    IMG_5615.JPG
    634 KB · Views: 734
It looks similar to the rendering so far.

I will say it's difficult to deliver aesthetically when you when have 400+ units restricted to a 21 story height limit. The white is also too harsh in comparison to the stark black lower half.

Good materiality, but that massing is really heavy. I get that this zone is ripe for intensification, but it looks like it dominates this area by its sheer bulk.

Back